Any experience with NP3?

This is a discussion on Any experience with NP3? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone had experience with NP3 as a gun finish? Do you like it? Is it durable? What about the lubrication properties? ...

Thread: Any experience with NP3?

Any experience with NP3?

I was wondering if anyone had experience with NP3 as a gun finish? Do you like it? Is it durable? What about the lubrication properties? Any down sides (other than it being pretty expensive)?

Share your first hand knowledge!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It’s hard to beat. I've handled and cleaned guns with NP3 and it is in fact a durable application. The new 'improved' version is claimed to be even better for corrosion resistance. For me, it just boils down to cost and appearance.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

From what I understand its the best on the market. I have only heard good things about it from guyz who have had it applied to weapons they own. It doesnt flake or fade. I have taken my XD to Robar here in Phoenix to have some TFO's installed and met a few guyz that worked there. Besides being really nice and friendly folks, they do some awesome work. I handled several of their firearms they have done work on and Im amazed at the quality of the NP3. Guys that has NP3 on their weapon for years are shocked at the durability. I will have my XDm .45 done with NP3. IIRC the folks at ROBAR stated that you never have to apply lube to these parts that covered in this stuff, this includes the slide and ramp.

I had my Glock 19 slide and internel parts done a few years ago. This stuff is durable as hell. As far as lube goes, The gun would run just fine without it but I put very little on.

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    Had this P228 done abt 20 yrs ago and carried it concealed everyday on duty and off for 10+ years...until retirement .

Had my carbon steel/lightweight P230 done @ the same time and carried it for abt 6 yrs as my BUG in an ankle rig. Replaced the P230 w/ this carbon steel K9 when they came out (yep, pretty heavy on an ankle alright) which I also had NP3'd and carried that as my BUG for 4+ yrs...ankle carry every day for years can be rough on looks, but the finish is still 100% intact.

I'm not a fan, looks wise of shiny...nickle or even stainless, but the NP3 just works, especially concealed in a hot/sweaty/salty environment. Cleaning is a breeze - just wipe it down, lube isn't really required for carry either (all my guns get Militec anyway though) and it provides an instant smooooth D/A trigger job .

Wow, ok, that sounds plenty durable and useful! Thanks for the info and experiences, all of you! More is always welcome, but I think I've learned what I needed to know.

np3 is good stuff but look into mahovsky metalife....just as good and i believe its not quite as expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Klash545 View Post
    np3 is good stuff but look into mahovsky metalife....just as good and i believe its not quite as expensive
    Mahovsky's is hard chrome, whereas NP3 is teflon-enhanced nickel-based finish, IIRC....

Hard chrome can't be beat for sheer toughness, but for overall use on a carry piece, my vote would go to NP3... Not quite as hard on the Rockwell scale as hard chrome, but in certain applications (on a carbon steel slide/aluminum frame Sig, for instance), the "softer" NP3 is preferable in my book... And I've heard that NP3 has the edge in corrosion resistance also...

My advice - which is worth EVEN LESS than what you paid for it ;) is to save up the extra $$ and go NP3... Robar is a class act, to boot...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Links