Any HK experts that can splain this???

This is a discussion on Any HK experts that can splain this??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a LEM trigger on a P2000sk...but not sure I know what this concealed cocking piece in the spurriess hammer is all about. Anyone? ...

Thread: Any HK experts that can splain this???

I have a LEM trigger on a P2000sk...but not sure I know what this concealed cocking piece in the spurriess hammer is all about. Anyone?

P30 V1:
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurrless hammer, without de-cocking button. Constant LEM trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) and defined let-off point.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

The V1 is a traditional DA/SA semiauto; it has no safety, per se, but does have a decocking button on the left rear of the slide, right by the (spurless) hammer.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The V1 is a traditional DA/SA semiauto; ...
    Actually the V.1 in the P30 is the light LEM trigger, also known as Combat Defense Action (CDA).

The V.3 is the DA/SA P30.

Ach...I was thinking USP V1, and applying it to the P30.

I stand corrected.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Not an expert, but the LEM basically pre-tensions the mainspring by slide motion instead of cocking by the trigger. The tension felt is the trigger return spring, until the hammer "intercepts" the precocked mainspring, allowing the sear to release the hammer with full force of the mainspring behind it.

Basically a semicocked gun that precocks the spring independently of the hammer.

So does the P30 V1 have the external safety lever? I ask because the P30 entry on the HK web site says: The P30 has a self-decocking, double action hammer with a firing pin block safety that eliminates the need for a manual safety. However, the photos show an external safety. So I'm guessing that some trigger configurations use one, and some don't. Is that correct?

Brian

The p30 doesn't have an external safety as far as I know. The large lever you see on both sides of the slide is the slide-release lever. None of the P series ( P2000, P2000sk, P30 ) in any of the trigger variants have an external safety.

Doesn't this image (from the HK web site) show a safety lever, or am I misinterpreting something here?

When I look at the other images from HK's site, some show this lever and some don't, which is why I thought that certain trigger configurations used a safety lever and some didn't. Just curious as I'm starting to feel the need for a new pistol, and the P30 is on the short list.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Doesn't this image (from the HK web site) show a safety lever, or am I misinterpreting something here?

When I look at the other images from HK's site, some show this lever and some don't, which is why I thought that certain trigger configurations used a safety lever and some didn't. Just curious as I'm starting to feel the need for a new pistol, and the P30 is on the short list.

Brian
    I stand corrected. I didn't think it was even an option ... or you photoshopped the picture to make me think I'm crazy !

My P-30 has no such safety. It does have a button on the back left of the slide which acts as a de-cocker.
    I'm guessing the picture shown is a version for sale in California or Massachusetts.

jyo
    Nah, that pistol is the DA/SA version, thats all. This would be my personal choice.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Guys, guys, the answer is simple... HK recently released the P30S, with the the S indicating a safety lever.
    http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p30_general.asp

My guess is that enough LE agencies asked for a safety in order to accomodate some reguirements placed on duty pistols.

Thanks all for the information!

Brian

Sponsored Links