SW mod 60 vs 1911...I had to chose!

This is a discussion on SW mod 60 vs 1911...I had to chose! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I recently acquired my CHL, and had been thinking all along that I would carry my 5" 1911. After all, it's very flat, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW mod 60 vs 1911...I had to chose!

SW mod 60 vs 1911...I had to chose!

OK, so I recently acquired my CHL, and had been thinking all along that I would carry my 5" 1911. After all, it's very flat, hides easily, fires a devastating round that is unlikely to travel elsewhere (provided a solid hit is made) and is very easy to shoot well. However...

I found that its difficult, while wearing this gun, to go to the head! Don't laugh...if you're in a public restroom and other guys are in the room with you, once you unbuckle your belt, the darn thing tries to pull your pants all the way down! At best its embarrasing, at worst, you've just flashed your gun to all and sundry (no, not that one!). I have a very expensive Bianchi pancake-style leather holster for this, that conceals its outline very well, which will do me no good if its down around my knees, or on the floor!

So I had to go to the only other handgun I own (OK, its the one I bought for my wife, but she only ever kept it in her undie drawer anyway) that is reasonable for concealed carry (all my other ones are way too big)...A S&W model 60 3" .357 mag in stainless with birds-head grips. I have this in a Galco boned, semi pancake, forward canted leather holster that rides high, hides very well indeed and stays up on my right kidney where I put it! This wears very well under an untucked shirt or light jacket...hardly notice it while I'm wearing. The five-round cylinder is very low-profile, the birds-head grips are very comfortable and don't print much, and the gun itself, while not all that pleasant to shoot, being a J-frame .357, is built like a swiss watch. I'd like to have more rounds but really...if I need more than 5 I'm probably cooked anyway, right?

Anyway...this was my solution. The .357mag is not my preferred self-defense round (overpenetration!), so I load the slightly weaker .38spc +P and can hit in the 9 ring at 15 feet all day with it. All in all, the best compromise I can come up with, given my current resources. What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

los
    Go with the Piece that you're more proficient with,.. and the one that establishes better carry comfort.

Don't let bullet diameter play any part in your decision.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

The only time I ever unbuckle is when I have to sit down and use a stall, in which case I flip the elastic in the waistband of my underoos over the grip of the gun, hiding it from prying eyes.

The only pistol I own is my 5" 1911 in an MTAC holster, so I had to make it work.

Well, as far as shooting, I'd have to say I'm more proficient with the 1911, because I like to shoot that one and practice with it more.

As far as bullet diameter, I think the .45acp is a much better fight stopper than a .357mag because it transfers its energy to the target better, rather than passing right through it as the .357mag is apt to do at defensive ranges.

Another aspect of relative shootability is the extremely nasty effects of noise and muzzle blast generated by .357 mag compared to a .45acp. If touched off in restricted quarters and/or low light, a .357mag will very likely leave a shooter temorarily deaf and blind...ears ringing and a big green blob where your night vision used to be...especially from a J-frame.

I'd prefer to use a .45acp; they seem to generate less muzzle blast and while very loud in their own right, they make more of a "boom" and not as much of a nasty, painful 'crack' sound.

Only trouble is, if I can't carry it well, it will be a problem all the time and I need to be comfortable with this...so I made the compromise with a lighter gun and .38 load.

It might not work for you but you can try a smart carry(thunderwear) holster. It will fit either gun very well and the pants problem will disapear. The only other problem you will pick up in that department is going to a urinal. But with a little practice at home, you can push it to one side while you do your do. Or worse come to worse go to a stall.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I think you are just fine shooting the 38 spl rounds. I enjoy carrying my 1911s and mod 60 more than my other guns. I don't feel that five rounds from my mod 60 is much of a handicap.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry a similar .357, 5-shot revolver but without the hammer...in it I carry the 135 grain Speer Gold Dot .357 Short Barrel, and I don't think that it is a full-house .357 load. I'm hoping it would not have any overpenetration problems like some of the "monster" .357 loads so maybe you could try something like that. I have also carried my 5" 1911 and love that gun - it's the best in my opinion. However, it is very heavy and big compared to the little revolver. Either one would work in my book, but if I suspected trouble, I would wear nothing other than the 1911. Later, B

I hardly think you will be poorly armed with a Model 60 that you are profecient with. Why could you not remove your firearm before setting down. Maybe lay it on the back of the stall. I dont know I guess Im lucky to have been blessed with a public restroom affliction. I havent used one in that manner that I can think of in 25+ years. Find a way to carry what you feel the most comfortable with. Either way you will be well armed. Ok I rephrase either way you will have a gun capable of any task they should be called on to perform.

i carry a old model 60 as my bug on the the job. it is 38sp model, so it is loaded with issue duty 38sp +p+ hydro shock ammo. i never feel under gun with it. get a speed strip and you can drop six rounds in your pocket. so there is nothing wrong with the model 60, it will do the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

GM
    Well, it is your choice; go for what feels better for you. Concerning the amount of rounds; you will probably be fine with only 5. BTW, taking your wife handgun is no no (they are the ones that "are supposed" to take our firearms). Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I always use a stall just to prevent this sort of mishap. An alternate solution is that if you feel you will be in this position, no pun intended, often consider a shoulder holster.

Just curious why you would worry about over penetration in a defensive round; the truth is that in a defensive situation you will likely only hit your target less than 50% of the time, if you are very good at what you do, it seems fruitless to worry about over penetration on the actual hits.

being new to CCW i've found i feel a whole lot less conspicuous with my 2 1/8" model 60 - particularly during the summer - than with the full-size SA 1911, but suspect that will feeling will subside over time. i'm accurate enough with the .357, at the range, anyway, but the 1911 is my first choice once i get accustomed to carrying it.

right now carrying the 1911 feels as though i'm trying to conceal an 18" mossberg.

i'm using galco summer comfort holsters for both pistols, plus have a snubbie pocket holster that is just too convenient for words. i also picked up a leather JAY-PEE (?) snubbie shoulder holster for $16 on ebay but haven't used it enough to tell whether i threw away $16 or not. i also plan to try out the 5:11 holster shirt, which will carry either -- or both -- guns. i don't think they make one for mossbergs.

i'll most likely carry the 1911 more this fall and winter.

VIP Member
    My primary carry is the 640 with .38+P 135 GD and it works for me. As for the restroom, it's no different from any other gun on the hip.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

My primary carry gun has been the M60-15 (3") since I obtained my CPL over a year ago. I love the little revolver. At 3 ", it gives you a better set of ballistics, which has always been a point of contention with 2" J frames. I load mine with 38+P ammo and never think twice about it. Many will tell you that 38 SPL is not enough. What they don't know or will not want to admit is that the lowly 38SPL has probably put more bad guys (and good guys) 6' under, than any other round, for over 100 years. With a 3" barrel and +P ammo, it ups the odds in your favor even more. Good choice! Just be sure to practice to become even better with it than you are at this time. Also, practice reloads, my only real problem with revolvers as I am a lefty.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links