Taurus PT22

Taurus PT22

This is a discussion on Taurus PT22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father bought a Taurus PT-22 yesterday and finally applied for his Georgia Firearms License. Yes, we know the .22LR is a lousy choice for ...

Thread: Taurus PT22

Taurus PT22

My father bought a Taurus PT-22 yesterday and finally applied for his Georgia Firearms License. Yes, we know the .22LR is a lousy choice for self defense, however its pretty much a necessity in this case. He is missing his left hand index fingertip making it very difficult to shoot from that hand. About 30 years ago, he was in a bike accident and completely shattered his right wrist. So, the .22 is about the only thing he can shoot reliably.

My question is directly at the PT-22 owners. The magazine is rather difficult to remove. While holding down the mag release, you have to get a decent grip on the mag and pull it out. I haven't gotten a chance to break it down and clean it up for him yet but was hoping to get some advance knowledge.

Also, I've read they are rather picky with ammo. Suggestions? I'm guessing your typical higher powered stuff like Stingers and maybe hopefully MiniMags?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Back in the great ammo depression of 2009, I bought 2 bricks of Aquila high velocity HP. I took the pt22 to the range for the first time in 7 or 8 years. If I only loaded 7 rounds in the mag, it ran flawless. 8 rounds and it choked. You already have it now, so I wont recommend at least a KT32. The pt22 has a long winded heavy trigger. Or, a 22magnum revolver. Anyway. good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I've got one that I initially had difficulties with.

I tried putting 8 rounds in the mag. Then it would jam. I put one less and it functioned better.

It is pickky as to ammo. I usually get my 22s at Wally-World on special. Most of the time it runs them fine but a stove pipe is not uncommon.

I, too, would suggest a higher velocity round like stingers and check it out before relying on it for defense.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    Back in the great ammo depression of 2009,
    LOL !!!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

I had two of those the first only lasted 5 rounds and trigger broke

The day I bought it , so that one went back that day

The 2 nd one broke 4 more times till I had enough and took the 2 nd one back

to dealer and bought a Kel - tech .32 .

Not trying to bash but if he has hand problems it could be a be a real problem

for him with the P22.The .32 has been great.

The recoil on the .32 is very light not much more than the.22

Yeah guys, I was trying to steer him in a better direction, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Kahr....something nicer and even in a .32 or .25 but he bought it on impulse to cheer himself up after resigning from his position as a census supervisor. (He's retired but was bored and wanted some extra spending money)

I mentioned the Browning Buckmark Camper I am planning on getting to him, and he went to check it out, but they were out of stock and the PT-22 caught his eye. Oh well.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

If one already has hand difficulties, why would you complicate the issue with a cheap gun?

He's your father, have him toss out the unreliable and spend some money for quality...his life is worth it, and you owe him.

Beretta Bobcat

No slide to rack (you can load the mags for him)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How about an old I-Frame like the Model 32 Terrier in 38 S&W or maybe a steel J-frame with wadcutters?

S & W Model 32-1 Terrier 38 S & W : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

I have my second PT22 and have been happy with both. Traded the first on a Beretta .22 and didn't like it at all. It was very reliable after I polished the feed ramp. The second fails to feed occasionally, but I don't have many rounds through it, so I expect it to get better. I wouldn't recommend as a carry weapon, but it is a fun little pistol.Mine have not been nearly as bad as most people report. Keep the chamber clean and polish the ramp.

I have 2 of the PT22's, one in pink for the wife and a brown one for me. They have both been fairly reliable. Dry firing caused the barrel on the pink one to peen in one spot but I ironed it out and things are fine now. I don't have a lot of rounds through either one (maybe 100 to 150 each) but they run the Federal and Blazer ammo very well. Stay awayfrom the remington cheap stuff. These are close range guns. !0 yards or less. They open up the groups quite a bit past that. You mentioned the mag being hard to pull out. You will notice that when it is empty it comes out fairly easily. The tension is caused by the bullet at the top of the mag hanging over a little and dragging on the feed ramp and mag well. I found the same thing in mine. You load the first round in the barrel directly so you don't have to rack the slide. The trigger pull is fairly stout in comparison to other pistols but it isn't that hard to over come. There are better guns on the market but it will do what it was intended to do. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I might be picking up another job that won't allow me to carry so I was looking at the PT22 so I don't have to worry about the back of the pistol showing out of my pocket. This thread is making me rethink that choice.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

While I don't have a Taurus PT22, I do have a Phoenix Arms .22. Sometimes it rides in a wallet holster while one of my others is on my hip.

I did some testing with Stingers a few years ago and got a fairly decent expansion and wound channel(in ballistic gelatin)... It is all I carry in my Phoenix Arms.....Feeds perfect and have nevere had a failure of any kind with them (over 1000 rounds of stingers have passed thru the barrel).

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Knightrider, if it were me and I was looking for a carry pistol, I would go with a LCP or something along that order. The PT22 is thicker through the grip and the price difference isn't that much. I got mine because they are fun to shoot and fairly inexpensive. My wife wanted a pink gun so I got here one too. It definately isn't my daily carry gun.

Bought to teach the wife to shoot. She really likes it (not as much as her LC9). She shoots it regularly and I have begun carrying it as a BUG. Never a FTF or jam. Mine has been a good purchase. It eats everything.

Get a beretta tomcat 32 acp..... use the taurus as a paperweight. The .32 acp has almost no recoil, is close in ballistics to a .380 and doesnt require the slide to be racked to load.Functions just like the Pt22, but is a quality firearm.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links