Cocked and Locked - Q re Colt Defender carry style....

This is a discussion on Cocked and Locked - Q re Colt Defender carry style.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a newbie to this. I've gripped about 20 small pistols in the past couple weeks. The one that seemed to leap into my palm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocked and Locked - Q re Colt Defender carry style....

I'm a newbie to this.

I've gripped about 20 small pistols in the past couple weeks. The one that seemed to leap into my palm and happily stick there was a Colt Defender. It just fit so well. My hands and 'instinctive' grip are such that almost all other autos end up placing the slide release button under my right thumb...leading to the slide slamming shut after last round rather than staying open....an annoyance on the range. i've been trying to alter my grip with some luck, but now, after having a Sig (great shooter) for a few months, I'm drawn to this Defender as a CCW because it (and all the other Colt 1911s I tried same day) fit my hand and the slide release button was perfectly between (but not under) my two thumbs, both running along the left side of the frame as they do in my hard-to-change grip style.

Cocked and Locked is how the salesman said you optimally carry this. This is a bit of a culture change for me...Intellectually I see that the thumb safety, the grip safety, and the trigger are all safety features. I'm just used to my Sig.....with a decocker, etc.

To users of this...is this how you carry this gun? Cocked and locked such? Is it safe in an unconventional holtser, such as common IWB holsters?

Just looking for some reassurance on this....i'm not used to SA only pistols that you carry around with the hammer back....

DR

It's really no different or less safe than carrying a pistol with an internal striker (Glock, XD, etc... most polymers) with a round in the chamber.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    "Cocked & locked" is the intended mode of carry for this handgun. That is the way it is supposed to be carried.

Training with any gun with manual safeties is paramount. The manual safety adds an extra step in your draw/presentation. It can be trained in to muscle memory, but it is always one more thing to go wrong under stress.

1911's and Colts are excellent SD firearms, but they may not be for every one.

As for your question, I wondered what you meant by:

Is it safe in an unconventional holtser, such as common IWB holsters?
    If you are concerned about the safety suddenly jumping off-safe all on its own, don't be. That safety does not move easily under casual contact such as brushing against furniture. Any good quality holster/belt rig that can support the weight and covers the trigger completely will work just fine. Selecting a holster for a 1911 is no different than for the Sig you already have.

I hope this helps. I am by no means an expert, but I do carry a 1911 regularly. They are no less safe than any other quality firearm(and a bit more safe than some).

Good luck!

I
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Picking up the technique of dropping the thumb safety on a 1911 is something you'll get the hang of in about one range session.

Its pretty simple, you don't drop the safety, it doesn't go bang.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRayz View Post
    I'm a newbie to this.

I've gripped about 20 small pistols in the past couple weeks. The one that seemed to leap into my palm and happily stick there was a Colt Defender. It just fit so well. My hands and 'instinctive' grip are such that almost all other autos end up placing the slide release button under my right thumb...leading to the slide slamming shut after last round rather than staying open....an annoyance on the range. i've been trying to alter my grip with some luck, but now, after having a Sig (great shooter) for a few months, I'm drawn to this Defender as a CCW because it (and all the other Colt 1911s I tried same day) fit my hand and the slide release button was perfectly between (but not under) my two thumbs, both running along the left side of the frame as they do in my hard-to-change grip style.

Cocked and Locked is how the salesman said you optimally carry this. This is a bit of a culture change for me...Intellectually I see that the thumb safety, the grip safety, and the trigger are all safety features. I'm just used to my Sig.....with a decocker, etc.

To users of this...is this how you carry this gun? Cocked and locked such? Is it safe in an unconventional holtser, such as common IWB holsters?

Just looking for some reassurance on this....i'm not used to SA only pistols that you carry around with the hammer back....

DR
    Welcome to the forum!

I am a SA guy but I also carry DAO. ”Cocked and locked” is the way of carrying a SA pistol. If you some day are unlucky and need to use your gun to protect yourself or your family, you might not have time or possibility to rack the slide. For that reason, if you feel unconformable carrying ”cocked and locked” then do not get a SA pistol. Once you start to carry ”cocked and locked” you will soon realize that it is not less safe than carrying any DAO or Glock pistol.

Concerning the holster; just get any quality IWB holster that fits the pistol, and you will be fine
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Cocked and Locked

When I have carried my Colt Defender it has been cocked and locked in a Kramer holster. The thumb safety is fairly stiff and takes a firm push to release, so I am not concerned about it coming off by accident. Just remember to practice so you remember to release the safety when drawing.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I also carry a 1911, cocked & Locked--a trick I learned on this forum--Thanks folks!!--was to start carrying for a week or so with no round in the chamber and cocked & locked--if I am worried about the safety coming off safe while in the holster, a week or 10 days of carrying it cocked & locked on an empty chamber will give you the confidence to go ahead and carry it c & l with a round in the chamber...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Administrator

When you get your Colt Defender pistol you should fully function check it.

Instructions for doing a complete 1911 Function Check are to be found HERE: http://www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm
    Also make sure that your Thumb Safety has a positive sounding ON/OFF - It should "snick" on and off and stay where it's put.

Then carry it cocked & locked.

Yep

condition 1, cocked and locked
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'll chime in with Sig also makes a SAO version of the P220 chambered in .45.

I love mine. I wanted a Defender...until I picked up the Sig and shot it. It's more accurate for me. It's a bit bigger than than the defender, but it's not much thicker.

Thanks for the reassurances, everyone.
    I'm off to try to find one to shoot now!
    DR

Not only do you carry in cocked and locked...you photo it condition 1
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Cocked and locked. Any time you change holsters or modify the safety verify that the safety stays where you put it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I agree with what Scott Davies said, that will prove to you that it is a safe mode of carry.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

The 1911 actually has more safeties than any other semi-auto I believe, but I'm not really up on a lot of guns.

1- thumb safety, locks the sear so it cannot disengage from the hammer
    2- grip safety, blocks the trigger from moving so it cannot disengage the sear from the hammer.
    3-half cock notch on hammer-designed to catch the hammer just before a firing pin strike if something should happen.

Series 80 style 1911's have one additional safety, a firing pin block. The firing pin cannot move forward to strike a primer unless the trigger is pulled.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links