Question on Browning pistol's.

This is a discussion on Question on Browning pistol's. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of purchasing a Browning Hi Power. I'm new to Brownings and from what I can ascertain somewhere along the line they switched from ...

Thread: Question on Browning pistol's.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

I'm thinking of purchasing a Browning Hi Power. I'm new to Brownings and from what I can ascertain somewhere along the line they switched from a nice blued finish to some kind of cheap paint.
    I also know that the newer models, the Mk.III I think, has plastic grips instead of wood.
    I prefer the blue finish and have seen photos of one manufactured in 1994 that I'm considering. It however has plastic grips. Would this particular gun be blued or painted, I really can't tell from the photos? Thanks in advance!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

If it has the plastic grips I believe it will be the "painted" finish and not the blue unless the grips were changed for some reason.

Little info her, and a dose of opinion:

Many find the plastic grips to be more suitable and ergonomic over the wooden ones. Also, the "painted" finish is an epoxy, IIRC, that wears better than blue.

It's hard to go wrong with an epoxy P-35 as a carry gun.

Biker

Mr. Stephen Camp posts here and has a website with a huge amount of info on the BHP:

Hi Powers and Handguns

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    FYI....FN makes the Browning Hi Power. Browning has never manufactured a Hi Power. Browning is the US importer. Great handgun. Maybe the best ergonomics of any semiauto handgun ever produced.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If it has the plastic grips I believe it will be the "painted" finish and not the blue unless the grips were changed for some reason.

Little info her, and a dose of opinion:

Many find the plastic grips to be more suitable and ergonomic over the wooden ones. Also, the "painted" finish is an epoxy, IIRC, that wears better than blue.

It's hard to go wrong with an epoxy P-35 as a carry gun.

Biker
    +1

the p-35 finish is terrific for a ccw gun, much better than blueing.
    I am a big fan of the BHP but be careful with the slide bite. Sometimes when shooting double taps or rapid fire your grip can work it's way up and then you get bit.

BHP Finish

If you look at the photo under BikerRN that is a Practical model Hi-Power. The best of two finishes combined. I have a Mark III BHP that is a deep blue. It came with blocky wooden grips. I bought a pair of thin Micarta grips, removed the magazine disconnect and shot the pistol. After 1500 rounds and a recoil spring change it is a joy to shoot. The enamel "painted" finish will out wear blueing! How ever as an old dog I am a sucker for the deep blue finish. I bought my Browning as soon as I saw it because it was blued and it was the first new such pistol I found in two years of looking. Which ever model you buy you will not be disappointed in this classic fabulous firearm.

-- Richard
    Last edited by RKirk; May 30th, 2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Get the right word spell
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Nearly everything you need to know about Hi Powers is here:

Browning Hi Power
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The black "painted looking" finish on a mark III will outlast any model with the original blueing. It may not be the prettiest finish but it is durable. After 15 years or so, mine has barely any scratches on it. The HP is truely one of the finest firearms ever designed. The plastic grips don't look as good as wooden grips but they fit my wife's hands and her shooting tells the whole story. Definately one of the most natural pointing guns ever made.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Lots of blued ones out there.

A used bona fide Belgium made Hi-power (blued finish)
    will run you about $600 and on up depending on condition.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links