The open revo or semi?

The open revo or semi?

This is a discussion on The open revo or semi? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys - no requirement for a debate on pro's and con's of open vs concealed - we have done that plenty. Just wondering tho ...

Thread: The open revo or semi?

Assistant Administrator

The open revo or semi?

Ok guys - no requirement for a debate on pro's and con's of open vs concealed - we have done that plenty.

Just wondering tho - if you did choose open for whatever reason - which do you think freaks the sheep least? Revo or semi?

From conversations I have had over time it does seem the open carry revo - even if large - is regarded as a lesser threat!!! Must be something about shape maybe - something ''traditional perhaps?

Could be too - revo showing for many equates to ''cowboy'' genre - whereas semi seems maybe more "LE'' or threatening. Not sure but I'll vote revo anyways for not stirring up the crowds so much!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure it's the type of gun that would matter. I've seen several people open carry and, to be honest, it seems to be how they carry that causes me to be concerned or not around them.

Someone in professional/nice clothes with a holster tight to the body could get away with either.

Someone dressed with a loose/floppy holster or one that's slung low is what raises my concerns.

Plus their mannerisms are a comfort or concern as well.

I know this kinda sidesteps your question. But to answer it, an auto seems to have a more professional look that a revo. Yes, I know, I carry a revo...but it's concealed.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Copper - you raise an excellent point.

Yes, manner of carry and demeanor are major factors. I do still think tho - maybe ''old fashioned'' too I guess that somehow the revo looks less threatening.

Unfortunately I dress mega casual and so not at all sure how I'd come over with either! Folks would just see socks and sandals (in summer) and some hunk of iron held tight to my midriff

The time I let myself get made a few years back tho was funny - it was cooler and so full length jeans and open heavy outer shirt but - I know for a fact that my snub (M85 then) was in plain view for ages while I gassed up and went to pay. Shirt had gotten left hooked under gun!

Had one or two ''looks'' which only after the event meant much! I guess then my noncholent and confident manner meant I was not seen as a threat - no cops came chasin' after me
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You bring up a good point with the revo vs. auto freaking out people but I was thinking it could go even beyond that. I think that its possible for people to look at a nice 1911 in a good leather holster as "professional" or "distinguished". But on the other hand something like a full size glock in a kydex holster could give off the "punk gansta" impression.

The age thing could possibly bring up the same arguement. An older well-dressed gentleman could pull it off better than someone my age with just jeans and a t-shirt.

But in short to answer your question - I think that a revolver seems less intimidating to the general public. Like stated above I dont know if its related to the old west cowboy thing or what but that stigma that automatics are evil and are designed to kill definately sticks with sheeple.

Lead Moderator
    Similar to an AR on the range. Evil, black, made for combat. I personally think sheepple seen semis as far more dangerous, with the high cap. mags and all business finishes.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Good Thread P95
    I would not switch to a bulkier (cylinder bulge) wheel-gun just because I could open carry it. That would be only because I am so semi~auto acclimated these days.

I think it is more the appearance and presumed professionalism of the person rather than the specific firearm type.

Just my opinion that the sort of folks that would be TOTALLY SHOCKED by the sight of a firearm don't know the difference between a holstered revolver as VS a semi~auto anyway.

A nice looking holster & belt would benefit any open carry though. And a red, white & blue tie & an American Flag lapel pin.

To them a GUN is probably just a gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Well in the Dakota's

It probably wouldn't freak out the sheep to see a Peacemaker due to our heritage and the fact that most of the people wear boots and a hat. And all the history reinactors we have at the military posts. The Peacemaker would blend in better and looks more natural.

Now outside of this part of the country I don't know that it would matter
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Similar to an AR on the range. Evil, black, made for combat. I personally think sheepple seen semis as far more dangerous, with the high cap. mags and all business finishes.

I agree with this .. i would pack a wheelie

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    since i realised that trying to understand the blissninny thought process gives me a headache i simply dont worry about them and carry what strikes my mood lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Keeping in mind that I wear cowboy boots, hats, etc... and I'm in basically rural areas, I don't think anyone has even noticed when I've been carrying a big single action revolver. And, some years ago, I regularly carried a lever rifle with me. No comment from anybody.
    Once, I was unloading my truck and had an AR-15 and a riot gun. In about 10 seconds, I got noticed. Oddly good, however. It was a lady wanting to know about the firearms.
    I believe that how much notice a firearm gets primarily depends on how "right" it looks on you, as others here have said. When friends come by our house, I always have my IWB 1911 and it's not covered up. Several people have said that they didn't notice.
    After all of this typing, I will say that I think it's impossible to predict what the sheep will go crazy over. I get all kinds of nasty looks if I'm out in public and light a cigar..... could probably carry a submachine gun with less "outrage."

I'd say it also depends on the pistol. Any 1911, or any other Semi-auto that you can carry C&L, would likely cause more alarm than say a Beretta 92 with the hammer down, or the Glock, with no hammer visible.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    I'd say it also depends on the pistol. Any 1911, or any other Semi-auto that you can carry C&L, would likely cause more alarm than say a Beretta 92 with the hammer down, or the Glock, with no hammer visible.
    I don't know, Al. I'd almost think that anyone who would freak out at the sight of someone carrying a pistol probably doesn't know enough about them to look for a cocked hammer on an auto. A cocked hammer is more obvious on a revolver, so maybe there. Just my first thoughts...
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Sponsored Links