My Wife's Taurus PT-709B

This is a discussion on My Wife's Taurus PT-709B within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy, We took the time to evaluate several auto's in .380 & 9mm before buying the Taurus PT-709B. My wife really felt it had the ...

View Poll Results: Would you bet your life on the PT-709?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 50.00%
  • I just got a "lemmon."

5 10.87%
  • 9mm is not enough.

1 2.17%
  • No

18 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wife's Taurus PT-709B

My Wife's Taurus PT-709B

Howdy,

We took the time to evaluate several auto's in .380 & 9mm before buying the Taurus PT-709B. My wife really felt it had the best grip on a small "modern" handgun that is state of the art, supported by the after market and in a popular caliber. At that time, February, it was being promoted in just about every handgun magazine, about page 2-6, depending on the "rag."

In front of me is the "Warranty Service Notice Of Receipt."

From the first shot, loaded 7+1, we had a failure to extract, second shot the same thing. About every other shot in the beginning was a "FTE." That was equal in both magazines. The performance in the first box of Remington 124gr FMJ extreamly bad. Nearly every other round-to third round was a "FTE."

We continued to persevere the "performance" of this piece to the tune of 300 rounds. At that time looking at the spent rounds and the slightly damaged ammo that tried it's best to get there....about 20% FAILURE TO EXTRACT.

My wife's gun? She went back to her S&W M-60 Chief's Special in SS with Crimson Trace Consealment grip w/.38's+P.

Received on the 14th with 4-6 weeks to see if it will work ALL the time.

I've heard mixed reviews on Taurus' Customer Service, one gun shop even said "I'll get back a 'custom' pistol." Others not so much, long waits and return trips to Taurus.

Would anyone let a loved one carry this pistol?

Just asking, not trying to stir things up, just reporting our experience.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

sorefeet

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    "Not trying to stir things up"? Go get a drink and some popcorn, it's about to start.

Have a 709 with several thousand rounds through it with no issues. It is my wifes but I carry it on many occasions when my g27 don't fit the bill.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

los
    Mine has been dependable from the get go. I voted Yes.

Your wife's 709 may be an early production piece with the bad extractor. If so, It's an easy fix.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

No never another pice from that company done with them

Administrator
    Taurus's problems are well known and documented. Nobody can make the argument that Taurus makes top shelf guns; They simply do not. With the lower price tags comes a price of another type and you just figured out what that price is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you can run a few hundred rounds through it after repair, then take it on some regular range trips where you clean in between and iit runs perfectly sure. It's an okay gun at that point.

I'd tell most people to avoid purchasing so as not to replicate your experience. Nice compact design that most would find appealing including myself, but this is not an unusual report of this happening with the 709 (pt111 and similar seem to be solid but it took a while). Since you've been through it to this point and she has an alternate reliable piece why not complete the final 10% of a crappy journey and see what you've ended up with for your trouble. If the gun performs there is no issue unless you can't get over the earlier experience and have confidence.

Having had a 709 that failed I would suggest this. Send it in for repiar when you get it back if you can get three hundred failure free rounds through it ask yourself "Do I trust this gun". If the answer is yes that it's fine. If the answer is no then... My problem wasn't so much the gun but the fact that after it failed like it did I just didn't trust it anymore. Since I carry a gun to feel safer carrying a gun I felt was a potential liability was counter productive to that.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    There are two common problem with new Taurus pistols:

1. The magazines are tossed together with whatever parts some bozo thinks will fit.

2. They come with a ton of grease and gunk from the factory, supposedly for shipping.

The first thing I would do is a thorough cleaning and oiling. I don't mean just the usual clean-n-oil; I mean every little nook and cranny should be completely degreased and apply a liberal amount of oil.

If this doesn't help, buy another factory mag. Yes, I know that sounds like throwing good money after bad, but doing this took my PT145 from a jam-o-matic to 100% reliability. After I bought the new factory mags, I could rapid-fire 11 rounds of hollowpoints without a hitch.

So if you like the gun but you're disappointed in the reliability, the above two steps should fix you right up.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

GM
    If it has the name ”Taurus” on it then I avoid it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    There are two common problem with new Taurus pistols:

1. The magazines are tossed together with whatever parts some bozo thinks will fit.

2. They come with a ton of grease and gunk from the factory, supposedly for shipping.

The first thing I would do is a thorough cleaning and oiling. I don't mean just the usual clean-n-oil; I mean every little nook and cranny should be completely degreased and apply a liberal amount of oil.

If this doesn't help, buy another factory mag. Yes, I know that sounds like throwing good money after bad, but doing this took my PT145 from a jam-o-matic to 100% reliability. After I bought the new factory mags, I could rapid-fire 11 rounds of hollowpoints without a hitch.

So if you like the gun but you're disappointed in the reliability, the above two steps should fix you right up.
    90 percent of the issues with the 709 are extractor related. Honestly, I would say 99 percent of them are. That being said I had the EXACT same issue with my 145 that you described. The only HP ammo it would feed was Fiochi.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Its a dog gone shame Taurus cant get their quality control straightened out. I really like the feel of the 709. Would I carry one? Heck no! There is just to many problems and complaints with Taurus products. Glock On!
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    90 percent of the issues with the 709 are extractor related. Honestly, I would say 99 percent of them are. That being said I had the EXACT same issue with my 145 that you described. The only HP ammo it would feed was Fiochi.
    I didn't know that about the extractors, so thanks.

I won't bore you with the gory details, but I started a thread over on TaurusArmed.net that went several pages. When I bought the new factory mags, the followers were totally different. The top part was a sharp edge, while the original mags' followers were a round, blunt affair. The performance difference was night and day.

Do you still have the PT145? If so, maybe you could look at (or photograph) the mag followers. I can tell you which type you have.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I actually just traded that 145 for a Remington 870 yesterday. After returning my mags twice to Taurus I finally got the "new model" ones that actually worked. However by that time I had lost faith in the gun and sold it and officially swore of Taurus. I have learned that Taurus are hit or miss. You can get one that runs like a dream or you can get one that is a total nightmare. Would I buy another? Yes, probably. It just wouldn't be a gun that would be employed in a "my behind is on the line" role.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I didn't know that about the extractors, so thanks.

I won't bore you with the gory details, but I started a thread over on TaurusArmed.net that went several pages. When I bought the new factory mags, the followers were totally different. The top part was a sharp edge, while the original mags' followers were a round, blunt affair. The performance difference was night and day.

Do you still have the PT145? If so, maybe you could look at (or photograph) the mag followers. I can tell you which type you have.

My feelings is the 709 has not been on the market long enough to be sure that all the bugs are worked out yet.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links