Chance to buy SW 642

Chance to buy SW 642

This is a discussion on Chance to buy SW 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to buy a SW 642CT with a fobus holster for $500. Is this a good deal, it has been fired but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chance to buy SW 642

Chance to buy SW 642

I have a chance to buy a SW 642CT with a fobus holster for $500. Is this a good deal, it has been fired but well cared for. It is coming from a buddy, I know its in great shape. Opinions???

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

It sounds like a great deal to me since it has the CT grips. I've got the CT setup on my M&P9C and love it, I'd love to own a J frame with the laser grips as well.

Administrator
    The laser and Fobus wouldn't mean anything to me, but it does to others. 500 would be a fair price. You can buy a new 642 for around 400. The Fobus is $20. new and I don't know what a new CT would run you. I know is more than a hundred though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

los
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. Does the Piece come with factory case and papers ?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    Well cared for is just great but, it's still a used firearm.
    The seller sure would not get $500 for it in cash or trade at any gun shop.

Me personally ~ I'd make a cash offer of $50 or so less and then let the seller take it or leave it.

and the Fobus is worth nothing (new or used) except for the fact that it will give you something to shoot bullets at.

If it's like new it's a good deal.my wife's was 620 new. you'll like the laser grips they are great for dry fire to learn good trigger control.

Administrator
    BTW & FYI - In Pennsylvania you should be able to get a S&W 642CT brand new in box for $550. if you're willing to call around.

los
    Depending on the model, CT Laser grips for Smith revolvers run between 210-300 bucks.

The gun does have all papers and box.

QKS- have you found one online where you can send me for that price? I haven't done too much looking but I have seen them in stores for around $700 locally. I am in SWPA if that helps.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Administrator
    Well, Ive seen them on Gunbroker.com for $585. NIB but, holiday weekend - not too many listed right now.

Try calling Braverman Arms Co. in PA.

But, if you cannot find one close to home for less than $700. then you might want to jump on that one for $500. if that is mutually beneficial to both of you.

But, if you want to drive a hard bargain....what you should do is call any reputable gun shop while your friend is there and tell them that you have a S&W 642CT in excellent condition "like new" with the box & paperwork that you would like them to buy and ask them how much they would be willing to pay for it provided that it's in the exact fantastic condition that you described & then offer to pay your friend an amount somewhat more than that.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, Ive seen them on Gunbroker.com for $585...
    But then you have to add shipping and transfer charges with the possibility of adding taxes if purchase is made within the same State.

Administrator
    Yep, I know. But, that's $585 spanky NIB - there are not any used ones on GB right now.
    My point being that if he is willing to shop around in PA & drive a bit - he should be able to pick up a used in excellent for 425 - 450 & a new for 550/585 so 425/450 is what he should try offering the seller first.
    The seller is selling it outright for 500. because no gun shop will pay him more than 350. since they still need to sell it as "used" no matter how great the condition.

Offering 450 - he is coming out ahead & so is the seller. Just my personal opinion on that based on PA gun prices in general.

He can always offer more but, he should start low & haggle a bit.

642 alone is about 429.95 the fobus is about 30.00 new, and the CT grips at 189.95
    store sells new 642Ct guns for 698.95 I'd say scoop up the gun for 500.00 sounds like a fair price 400.00 to 450.00 would be MUCH BETTER though! QK is right, the local shops most likely are offering him short money for the gun. They're most likely offering 400.00 for the gun, based on a 25% markup
    The store sells NICE to LNIB used 642Ct guns for 575 to 595 with case and papers. Something for you to reflect on when you consider your purchase with your friend
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I just checked Bud's.

New is $643
    They will pay $375 for a 90-100% gun. Split the difference and you get$509.

$500 is a fair price FTF. No transfer,tax, shipping, or driving around looking for the same model gun.

Just paid $620 for a new S&W 642CT for the spousal unit. She loves it. If I had a chance to get one like new and save a $120 I would jump on it and order a holster from Pure Kustom with the money I saved.
    She is still has to use one of my holsters, a Pure Kustom will be in her near future.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links