Defensive Carry banner

Chance to buy SW 642

2K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  AllAbtSlfDef 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a SW 642CT with a fobus holster for $500. Is this a good deal, it has been fired but well cared for. It is coming from a buddy, I know its in great shape. Opinions???

Jason

#3 ·
The laser and Fobus wouldn't mean anything to me, but it does to others. 500 would be a fair price. You can buy a new 642 for around 400. The Fobus is $20. new and I don't know what a new CT would run you. I know is more than a hundred though.

#5 ·
Well cared for is just great but, it's still a used firearm.
The seller sure would not get $500 for it in cash or trade at any gun shop.

Me personally ~ I'd make a cash offer of $50 or so less and then let the seller take it or leave it.

and the Fobus is worth nothing (new or used) except for the fact that it will give you something to shoot bullets at.

#20 ·
To the op, it sounds like a fair deal to me. The best price I've found for a no lock NIB 642 is $439, plus tax. The guy selling is probably taking a 200 loss on the package. You're getting the whole carry package almost for free with that deal. Don't be put off if it's a used gun. Just check the forcing cone, bore, and cylinder lock up to verify it's condition. You might also ask if he can throw in any ammo, since he won't need it anymore. If it really as described, the price is quite fair, imo.

I got mine online for about $140, model lg-105, they're the hard polymer non wrap around grips. I love 'em for trigger control and point shooting practice.

#9 ·
The gun does have all papers and box.

QKS- have you found one online where you can send me for that price? I haven't done too much looking but I have seen them in stores for around $700 locally. I am in SWPA if that helps.

#10 ·
Well, Ive seen them on Gunbroker.com for $585. NIB but, holiday weekend - not too many listed right now.

Try calling Braverman Arms Co. in PA.

But, if you cannot find one close to home for less than $700. then you might want to jump on that one for $500. if that is mutually beneficial to both of you.

But, if you want to drive a hard bargain....what you should do is call any reputable gun shop while your friend is there and tell them that you have a S&W 642CT in excellent condition "like new" with the box & paperwork that you would like them to buy and ask them how much they would be willing to pay for it provided that it's in the exact fantastic condition that you described & then offer to pay your friend an amount somewhat more than that.

#12 ·
Yep, I know. But, that's $585 spanky NIB - there are not any used ones on GB right now.
My point being that if he is willing to shop around in PA & drive a bit - he should be able to pick up a used in excellent for 425 - 450 & a new for 550/585 so 425/450 is what he should try offering the seller first.
The seller is selling it outright for 500. because no gun shop will pay him more than 350. since they still need to sell it as "used" no matter how great the condition.

Offering 450 - he is coming out ahead & so is the seller. Just my personal opinion on that based on PA gun prices in general.

He can always offer more but, he should start low & haggle a bit.

#13 ·
642 alone is about 429.95 the fobus is about 30.00 new, and the CT grips at 189.95
store sells new 642Ct guns for 698.95 I'd say scoop up the gun for 500.00 sounds like a fair price 400.00 to 450.00 would be MUCH BETTER though! QK is right, the local shops most likely are offering him short money for the gun. They're most likely offering 400.00 for the gun, based on a 25% markup
The store sells NICE to LNIB used 642Ct guns for 575 to 595 with case and papers. Something for you to reflect on when you consider your purchase with your friend:image035:

#15 ·
Just paid $620 for a new S&W 642CT for the spousal unit. She loves it. If I had a chance to get one like new and save a $120 I would jump on it and order a holster from Pure Kustom with the money I saved.
She is still has to use one of my holsters, a Pure Kustom will be in her near future.

#16 ·
It's a fair deal, not a steal, but a fair deal. I've seen new ones going on GB for $525 or so shipped. I agree with others, try and bargain him down to $400-$450. If it's a no lock model, those usually fetch a little more resale, so I'd be willing to pay $450-$475.
Remember, just as the gun is used, so is the crimson trace- so you shouldn't be factoring in retail pricing into your bargaining.
Though if you really want it, and he won't budge, grab it up :image035:

#18 ·
Given that no lock model 642s and 442s are once again available from Smith and Wesson, I would try to obtain one of those. You didn't specify whether or not the model you are considering is a no lock 642. If it is I would jump on it. If it isn't, personally I would pass and look for a no lock. The Fobus or the CT laser grips don't do anything for me but wouldn't say no if it were a good deal. For those interested in no lock Airweights, the SKU number of the 642 no lock model is 103810 and available from your dealer. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and was delighted to learn that they were being produced again.

Good luck....it is a fair deal if the lock doesn't bother you. For me, I've simply heard of way too many instances where the lock has inadvertently engaged itself ....no thanks...not on a self defense handgun. If you do go for one with a lock, I would highly recommend having a gunsmith deactivate the locking mechanism. It can either be removed, or you can have the stud filed down and flag secured in place with loctite so as to make non operational.

#21 ·
I recently picked up a brand new 442 (with lock, oh my god!) for $329. Granted that was a sale price but if I were to pay let's say $200 for the CT grips than I have a brand new 442 with CT for $529 plus tax.

If you feel comfortable with the condition of the gun then I say it's a decent deal.

#22 ·
Based on comments posted, I think I live in the most expensive area in the country. More accurately, I thinks its because this little two-bit border town is 175-miles away from any competition. As such, that gun would sell for considerably more in my local gun shop by a significant margin.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the opinions and research, I am thinking very seriously about it, he is selling it to get some cash together for a new HD Heritage Softtail. I think he is making the trade on bikes, I guess he has enough money together and still has the gun so I may have a little more time.

#27 ·
If you've got the coin, why not?

It may not be the best deal, but it looks like a fair deal.

#28 ·
That's part of the problem, I don't have the coin so to speak. I am thinking about how I can come up with it if it is a really good deal, since its just a fair deal, I won't be broken hearted or kicking myself if I miss out
Thanks all.

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.