Bersa 380

This is a discussion on Bersa 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at a Bersa 380 Thunder. The salesman at the gun store said it is the same design as a Walther PPK but made in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bersa 380

Bersa 380

Looking at a Bersa 380 Thunder. The salesman at the gun store said it is the same design as a Walther PPK but made in Argentina. My regular carry is a Glock 26 but looking for something a little slimer for summer carry in shorts and such. Any thoughts on this weapon.

2. Remove Ads

I like it. When my mom decided it was time to get a pistol this one the one she picked (After picking up what I am pretty sure was EVERY pistol at the gun store) It does definitely remind me of a PPK/S. I wouldn't exactly call it "thin" however it is a good shooting, reliable, accurate pistol although a bit chunky for a .380. If I was personally going to carry a .380 I would go with something like a LCP/P3AT as if I'm carrying a .380 it's because I want something small.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

IMO, the Bersa 380 is larger and heavier than some of the 9mm choices out there. If I was going to carry a gun the size of the Bersa 380, it wouldn't be in the .380ACP caliber.

I have nothing against .380ACP, as I carry a Ruger LCP and a Kahr P380, but both of those are significantly smaller and lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    IMO, the Bersa 380 is larger and heavier than some of the 9mm choices out there. If I was going to carry a gun the size of the Bersa 380, it wouldn't be in the .380ACP caliber.

I have nothing against .380ACP, as I carry a Ruger LCP and a Kahr P380, but both of those are significantly smaller and lighter.
    What he said.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

EW3
    If you really want a PPK type .380 and don't want to spend the money on a SIG P232, the Bersa is the way to go. They are tough, accurate little guns, mine always went BANG and was fun to shoot. Not the best finished in the world, but for $275-300, you are getting a lot of gun for the money.

With that being said, there are smaller, more pocketable .380's now like the P3AT, LCP and P238, but the Bersas are fine guns, just more suited for IWB/OWB than pocket carry.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

My wife has the bersa 380 thunder plus. It has a 15 round capacity and we have never had any issues with it at all. IMO, they are a very good value
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I don't see where a Bersa Thunder is so much smaller than a G26 to justify the purchase. Now if you "desire" a Bersa Thunder, that's a whole different story. But if you are looking for a smaller gun than a G26 I don't see where a Bersa Thunder is really meeting your needs.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    plus one
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I own a Bersa Thunder CC (concealed carry) .380 that is single stack, so it is a good deal thinner than the regular Thunder. It also has low profile sights in addition to a couple other differences that make it easy to carry. It is also very reliable and a good shooting gun. It is just slightly larger than my Kahr PM9, but is a little thinner. The PM9 fits a pocket easier and that is the one I carry most. The Thunder CC hides away easily in an IWB though. It is also a DA/SA with decocker/safety. So if that appeals to you it is a nice little, inexpensive handgun.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with a Bersa .380, although I don't particularly care for that caliber in a primary gun. You might also want to look at the CZ82, Eastern European mil/police surplus guns. While they will have holster wear on them, they are well built and good shooters. Chambered in 9mm Makarov (9x18) they hit a little harder than the .380. Ammo is readily available and cheap. Along with being 12+1, it's a nice alternative platform to carry. Price ranges from $210-260.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The Bersa Thunder .380 is larger than the latest .380s on the market, but this also equates to it being a much smoother shooter. My hands are so large that the small .380s are difficult for me to shoot...actually painful and difficult for me to control. The Bersa is a smooth and accurate shooting gun. I enjoyed shooting my friends so much that I purchased a Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact. Basically the same gun design in 9mm and it has been awesome. It's larger than the .380.

For summer carry, I use a S&W 442 or Taurus PT709. The 709 is 9mm 7+1 and is pretty small.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

i would go with the taurus pt709 its not much bigger
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I would also re-think things, and go with one of the small 9's.Taurus, Kel- Tec, Kahr,and the like
    Here is a link to mouseguns size gunchart by Bob O

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Granted It doesn't have the model you are inquiring about, or the taurus 709, but it may help, in size reference
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My wife and I both have one and we love them. They're light, small, and easy to conceal. Easy to shoot and the decocker safety and DA/SA feature is great for carrying one in the chamber. They're 100% reliable and dead-on accurate. IMO, it's an excellent .380 carry piece.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've had a 383-a for almost twenty years. Bersa is a GREAT gun!

There is nothing wrong with a 380 as a PCW.
    BUT!
    Because of ammo prices and availability, I would suggest a 9mm instead.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links