Kahr PM9 and Ruger LCP owners I need advice please

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 and Ruger LCP owners I need advice please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm kind of torn between which of these to get. I like both but have heard mixed reviews about the polymer frame kahr guns. Do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 and Ruger LCP owners I need advice please

I'm kind of torn between which of these to get. I like both but have heard mixed reviews about the polymer frame kahr guns. Do the kahr arms guns have a break in period and are they reliable after that?

I'm wanting a small thing auto for carry in athletic shorts when even my S&W 340PD is to bulky due to its cylinder. I've been trying to justify getting a small auto as I have a small lightweight snub nose that is chambered in .357 magnum. Does anyone here own a j frame and a kahr pm9 or LCP? Do you feel the need to own one when you have a j-frame. Can the PM9 be pocket carried easily?

Also do you feel the .380 and standard pressure .38 special are about equal in performance? Or should I just get the pm9 as it is a 9mm? I also like the idea that both of the guns have a crimson trace laser trigger guard attachment available. Thanks for any advice on this guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I only own one of the three - PM9. Kahr states that it has a 200 round break-in period. Most on this forum would likely say that about any gun you want to carry. Mine was been flawless through 300 rounds of various FMJ and self-defense rounds. It is a great shooter with a great DA trigger. I am 5'7" and 155 lbs and have carried it in my pocket since I bought it - jeans, shorts or khakis no problem. Check out kahrtalk.com for more info on the Kahr.

VIP Member
    I own both a J frame and an LCP. The .380 is not equal to the .38, but .380 will get the job done. I got the LCP as a replacement for my Walther PPK. The LCP will go places the J frame won't. The LCP is extremely reliable. However, it is not on par with a functioning PPK or Sig P232. Don't get me wrong, the LCP is great, but it is a close in gun, not choice for reaching out beyond 5 yards, and probably, does its best work within 3 yards. I would not hesitate to recommend the LCP knowing its limitations.

I sold my J-frame and my Kel-tec P3AT for my PM9 and never looked back. Very thin and powerful with more capacity than both. The first 300 rounds have been flawless. Having real sights is an added bonus as I could not hit squat with the J-frame and was not much better with the Kel-tec.

The PM9 does pocket and belt carry easily. It is now my EDC in my front right pocket in a Desantis Nemesis. I find myself carrying it more and more outside of work in an IWB holster because it carries much easier than my G19.

Very happy with my new PM9!

I have a Kahr PM9, a J frame and did have a KelTec P3AT at one time. My opinion is that the 380 is a minimum defense round and when compared to a 38 Spl their performance numbers are close with the edge going to the 38 Spl. If you factor in 38+P it is way ahead of the 380. The LCP like the P3AT is small, easily concealable and light, the J frame limits you to 5 rounds and is a bit more bulky, again reliable but with snappy recoil, that leaves the Kahr PM9 which I think is the best combination of the 3. You get 9mm in a small package that is easily concealable, has an extra round or two, is light and can be pocket carried. The 9mm is also the cheapest ammo to buy while the 38 is a bit more expensive and the 380 even more so and harder to find. All the guns I had were100% reliable out of the box.

I own a PM9, and have only shot the LCP. PM9 hands down. First off, and without getting into a caliber war, the 9mm is superior. The Kahr does require an initial cleaning / lube, but after that, and a hundred or two rounds, its reliability is top notch. As to the .380 vs. .38, the 38 is more powerful without a doubt. Still, i'll take a 9mm any day of the week. As already posted, visit Kahrtalk.com for break in and lube procedures. Beware, Kahrs are addictive.

The LCP is ideal for pocket carry.
    The weight difference between the LCP and the PM9 is more important than the size for pocket carry.
    The LCP is 12.2 oz. loaded, the PM9 is 20 oz. loaded.

I own a PM9, S&W 340pd, and KT P3AT.

Many of the above posts are spot on. The P3AT is easiest to carry, the weight really makes a difference. That said, while it has been reliable for me, something about it just doesn't inspire confidence.

The 340pd is pretty easy to carry, but it is a bit larger, and it is clearly the hardest to shoot rapidly and accurately, and painful to practice with. I also am not in love with only five rounds in the gun, and I find speedloaders more difficult to carry than a spare mag. Speedstrips just aren't that fast.

The PM9 is great, but I had some serious issues with mine including a trip back to Kahr before it got running right, and it's an expensive gun not to work straight out of the box, particularly given that it's designed as a personal defense weapon and not a range toy. It is very easy to carry and shoot, with adequate firepower however. OK for pocket carry.

All that said, these days, I mostly tote a Glock 26. Bigger yes, heavier yes, but great firepower and "shootability." Never a malfunction. And not too big, since for me it seems it's the grip that prints most.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

have both

I own both the LCP (about 2 yrs.) and the PM9 (little over a yr.). I pocket carry the PM9 w/NS in a DeSantis Nemesis that I modified to accomodate Crimson trace about 90% of the time. The LCP also w/CT in it's Nemesis has limited duty. One or the other is always on me.

Why the PM9 more? Because, although larger and heavier, it pockets easily, for me, and I like 9mm over .380. Nothing against the LCP, mind you.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

I have a PM9 and a 642. The Smith sits in the safe and the PM9 is my EDC. The Kahr is so much smaller and easier to carry, plus gets the benefit of capacity. I personally can't pocket carry, just doesn't work for me. A few cargo shorts work, but definitely not jeans. Why carry a .380 when you can have a 9mm in a slightly larger platform?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I have a PM9 and a 642. The Smith sits in the safe and the PM9 is my EDC. The Kahr is so much smaller and easier to carry, plus gets the benefit of capacity. I personally can't pocket carry, just doesn't work for me. A few cargo shorts work, but definitely not jeans. Why carry a .380 when you can have a 9mm in a slightly larger platform?
    I carry my LCP in my front pocket every day, and I wear fairly tight jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I carry my LCP in my front pocket every day, and I wear fairly tight jeans.
    That's exactly why I bought mine....

I own all three guns you are talking about and I'll say pretty much the same thing as mentioned in all of the previous posts. The LCP is the easiest and lightest gun to carry but only a .380. Most of the time I prefer to carry the S&W M&P 340. (LCP currently has the CT removed)

On a different note the Kahr PM9 and the M&P 340 are very close in size. It would come down to if you felt more comfortable carrying 5 rounds of .357 mag in a wheel gun or 7 rounds of 9mm in an automatic

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    The LCP is ideal for pocket carry.
    The weight difference between the LCP and the PM9 is more important than the size for pocket carry.
    The LCP is 12.2 oz. loaded, the PM9 is 20 oz. loaded.
    - I agree with this 100%. I own the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380 and Kahr PM9. A lot of people can pocket carry the PM9 with no problem, but it's a little too heavy for me to pocket carry around with all of the other things I also have in or clipped on my pockets (cell phone, knife, small flashlight, keys, etc.).

Thanks guys I'm gonna go look at the LCP and PM9 tomorrow and see which I like best. I'll report back on my results.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links