Wheel-Gunners Only: carry any spare ammo?

This is a discussion on Wheel-Gunners Only: carry any spare ammo? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 2 speedloaders, and some times a back up gun....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wheel-Gunners Only: carry any spare ammo?

2 speedloaders, and some times a back up gun.

2. Remove Ads

I always carry at least one speed loader when I'm out and about. If I'm on a trail or fishing, or driving out of town, usually more.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    For all you revolver carriers out there, here is a simple one: how much spare ammo do you generally take with your gun? And is it loose, speed strip, or in a speed-loader?

Simple question that I must honestly answer with usually "None!"

I honestly usually only grab the pistol, toss it in a pocket holster and away I go. Now my car is generally a supply-depot! I keep a few boxes of ammo, SureFire 6P flashlight and a rechargeable Streamlight, my Spyderco folding knife (i think it's an Endura, with a serrated blade on my sun visor).

But generally I have NO ammo on my person... am I alone in this? Even if I am carrying one of my Glocks, I generally don't tote a spare magazine. Of course, a 10 or 15 round magazine sort of diminishes the necessity of needing another magazine, but the revolver is limited to 5 or 6 rounds...

Am I the norm? Or the exception?
    If I'm packing a revolver as a "primary" I have at least one spare gun and four reloads, but prefer three guns with my four reloads.

I carry two reloads in Speedloaders and two reloads in a pair of Speed Strips.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I always carry another reload. Although I forgot to carry one the other day.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Minimum of 2 speed strips. If my attire allows I'll carry a speedloader as well. The speed strips are definitely easier to carry due to their shape.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    But generally I have NO ammo on my person... am I alone in this? Even if I am carrying one of my Glocks, I generally don't tote a spare magazine. Of course, a 10 or 15 round magazine sort of diminishes the necessity of needing another magazine, but the revolver is limited to 5 or 6 rounds...

Am I the norm? Or the exception?
    Hey tooldawg;
    As some others have pointed out; the extra magazine is NOT necessarily about additional ammo. (Most scenarios will usually take only two or three rds to overcome.)

The main reason for the extra magazine is to overcome a malfuction or shooter error. However; the main reason I, and many others use a Semi-automatic as "PW's" is the extra ammo.

BG's run in packs now-a-days, So when I was facing about 12 gangbangers (four car loads) a few months ago, I felt more comfortable knowing I had 11rds of 45 and 12 back up rds.

Fortunately, when they realized I was NOT going to be an easy, middle-aged "white" man to jack. They changed their mind; moved out of the way and left without incident. (I really don't know if a revolver would have intimidated them enough.)

Semi-auto mags: point understood.....but....

I understand and accept the many comments made re the purpose of spare magazines being additional rounds AND in case of a mag malfunction.

However....

For me, and for my Glocks, I have NEVER had any type, sort, or form of malfunction with the Glocks. NONE.

I have been shooting Glocks since the early 90's and Never had an issue, so for me, it boils down to round count. I am entirely comfortable relying on the pistol and magazine to peform as expected, without having concern over a malfunction.

I understand some of you may disagree, but that is a personal decision for me, and if I am fine with it, you should be too.

Now if I am carrying my revolver, it is a different story, as it boils down to "is 5 shots enough?"

I do think I will invest in a few speedstrips, to increase the round count, and will probably grap a speedstrip case, as well. I want my round count with revolvers to be at least 15...which is what I generally have with my G19 and close to the 10+2 I can get with my GLock 26.

For me, and for my Glocks, I have NEVER had any type, sort, or form of malfunction with the Glocks. NONE.
    I never had a malfunction with my Glock either, until I did.

Any man made item can and will fail at some point, even man himself.

Biker

VIP Member
    I usually carry two speed loaders when I carry my revolvers.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I almost never carry a reload for my revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If I'm carrying a revolver I don't carry a reload but thats because I carry a wheel gun in a "low risk" area. Not to start a debate over low vs high risk area's but if I feel 5 shots isn't enough I throw the .40 in my belt with 13 rounds and an extra magazine.

I am carrying a speedloader today along with my SP101 stoked with Double Tap 125 gr Bonded Defense .357 magnum rounds. 10 rounds total.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR View Post
    I never leave the house without a speed loader in my strong side pants or jacket pocket or a magazine in my weak side pocket when carrying a semi-auto.....ALWAYS!!
    Ditto for me!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Two speedloaders for me and the better half. I should have added that if I need more then that along with my wife, then I've gotten into something that I'm going to regret and I would need a arsenal to get out of.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

J-Frame in right front pocket and two speedstrips with 5rds each in left front pocket, always.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links