Recommendations on CCW for wife - low recoil wanted

This is a discussion on Recommendations on CCW for wife - low recoil wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a recommendation on a 9mm or 380 with the least amount of recoil in a subcompact size. Weight is not an issue, size ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on CCW for wife - low recoil wanted

Recommendations on CCW for wife - low recoil wanted

I need a recommendation on a 9mm or 380 with the least amount of recoil in a subcompact size. Weight is not an issue, size is. I am thinking that the best choice may be something like a Sig 232 or 238. Or maybe a Walther PPK...unless there is a polymer framed subcompact with less felt recoil than the steel?

Having a firearm that is least punishing to my wife would be a good first step to encourage her to carry.

2. Remove Ads

Is recoil the only issue for her? I suspect not.

I found going through the process with my wife there were numerous other factors as well. After owning a beautiful and flawless Kimber Ultra Aegis II in 9mm she picked out herself, she now prefers a S&W 642 snubbie with more felt recoil than the Kimber. Why?

Well, she found she disliked racking the gun, and after some ill-fated trips to a pistol range occupied by some goofy weirdos, she would rather have a trusty .38 snubbie for the close-in dirty work as required. She doesn't care for the range or much in the line of practice. For her, it's simple, easy, and reliable over all else.

Oh, I also buy her the Federal low-recoil .38 special self-defense loads.

Low Recoil 9mm

I have recently discovered the Kahr CW9. Light weight, compact, thin, reliable pistol. A slip on rubber grip adds to the comfort and controllability of this full grip pistol. The double action trigger though long is smooth. I have been a single action fan for ever and was amazed that I instantly liked this pistol. After I shot 100 rounds it felt right.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Based on your post and concerns, I agree that a snub revolver with Hornady CD .38 110gr ammo would be a good option. It's easy to learn and hard to forget.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What about the Ruger LCR? I have heard that its recoil is less than one would think...

Revolver or Auto

I agree that a revolver can be the answer. Please let your wife shoot several examples of sub-compact pistols. I shot an MK9 and a PM9 before I bought the CW9. Although I have shot several revolvers they have never been my thing.

They are the best choice if you want to have a pistol that requires no attention for months or years and then it is shot. They are also easy to carry and hide. Hard to beat!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jvberryjr View Post
    What about the Ruger LCR? I have heard that its recoil is less than one would think...
    If weight isn't a issue I don't see a reason to go with a LCR over a all steel snubbie. All steel is going to recoil less. Granted, the trigger is pretty nice on the LCR but I don't think it's any better then the S&W's.

On a side note the Bersa thunder may be a .380 worth looking at. My mom has one and loves it. It's soft shooting and has the added benefit of the slide being extremely easy to rack (which is sometimes a issue for some women). It's also fairly inexpensive, very accurate and extremely reliable. The only issue is that I think it's a bit large for a .380 however if recoil is the only consideration it's worth a look.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a Sig 232 with a hogue grip and that is my petite wife's favorite to shoot. Easy to manage the recoil, nice grip, a great gun. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My girlfriend isn't too sensitive to recoil, but enjoys my XD9sc. Also look at a G26 or M&P compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Based on your post and concerns, I agree that a snub revolver with Hornady CD .38 110gr ammo would be a good option. It's easy to learn and hard to forget.
    Agree with Revolver-Ruger SP101 38spl ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Bought my wife a Kel Tec P32 here awhile back and she loves it...low recoil, very accurate, 8 rounds, easy to carry another magazine as well and surprising ballistics. The thing is so light that she forgets she has it half the time.

While it wouldn't be as good as a 9mm it may just be a little better than one might think, but it sure beats nothing at all. The KT P3AT would be another choice for something really light but it does kick more than the 32.

The Glock G26 in 9mm is a very soft recoil and easy to double tap.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

If you have the money you may want to have a look at the S&W 3913. Have a look at this woman shooting hers.

YouTube - double tap reload with smith and wesson 3913

BTW: Note to mods can youtube vids be embedded on this forum? Post or PM me about this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VrodRay View Post
    I have a Sig 232 with a hogue grip and that is my petite wife's favorite to shoot. Easy to manage the recoil, nice grip, a great gun. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.
    +1 on that set-up. And I enjoy shooting it as well. If you get the 232, get the Hogue grips as well. They really make a difference.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    My wife was getting beat up shooting my .357 with 38 spl +Ps in it. We went to a few friends and borrowed multiple pistols to try out as much as we could. She liked the Karh best so we bought and have been very happy with the CW9.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links