Ruger SR9 is on it's way back to Ruger

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9 is on it's way back to Ruger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my SR9 2 weeks ago and have had some light primmer strike issues with it tried cleaning it good deferent ammo and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just got my SR9 2 weeks ago and have had some light primmer strike issues with it tried cleaning it good deferent ammo and just shooting it allot and unfortunately no go she still hits light every now and then but will always fire the unfired round once re-chambered very odd. Talked to Ruger this morning they are emailing me a UPS label and off it will go . I bought this to be my primary CC pistol and this sucks because even if they fix it I will not trust it until I throw allot of lead down range with no problems. I was going to get a revolver but wanted the more rounds but 17 rnds ain't $h!t if they don't go bang every time . I still love the pistol and don't regret getting it yet and I am sure Ruger will get it taken care of I hope.
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

How many rounds do you have through it? How often does it malfunction? If it happens a lot you'll know pretty quick if it is fixed or not.

Good luck. Ruger's customer service is pretty good so I'm sure they'll get her straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    How many rounds do you have through it? How often does it malfunction? If it happens a lot you'll know pretty quick if it is fixed or not.

Good luck. Ruger's customer service is pretty good so I'm sure they'll get her straightened out.
    It happens a good bit and I have put 300 rounds through it I am about to run up to the UPS store to drop it off to be shipped out. I all got now is hope.
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I know you're shipping it off, so this won't help, but, before you shipped it, I would have suggested you clean the striker channel. Sometimes caked up crud in the channel can cause light strikes, especially if you spray oil in and around the striker area. It is easy to do, you just push in the plunger in the back of the gun, and slide the plate off the back. You can then slide out the striker, clean it all out.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I know you're shipping it off, so this won't help, but, before you shipped it, I would have suggested you clean the striker channel. Sometimes caked up crud in the channel can cause light strikes, especially if you spray oil in and around the striker area. It is easy to do, you just push in the plunger in the back of the gun, and slide the plate off the back. You can then slide out the striker, clean it all out.
    Thanks for the advise but it has already been shipped out hopefully it is something simple and Ruger will get it strait quick and back to me. I did clean it up real good today before I went to the range spayed some gun scrubber up into the striker area allot did not help at all.
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

los
    What kind of ammo were you using and how old was it..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I tries 3 deferent kinds of ammo the one that gave the most problem was RWS in the orange and black box from walmart also winchester White box and some Hornady Custom 124gr XTP. none was old that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    What kind of ammo were you using and how old was it..?
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    mine had a bunch(of crud) in the Striker channel(SR9c) when I cleaned it out. it does not like WB at all and I did get some light primer strikes on that ammo...but ONLY on that ammo...in over 1000 rounds of every other imaginable ammo ive run through it(American Eagle 147 grain flat points,Remington UMC Round nose 115 grain,Remington UMC 110 or 115 grain JHP's,Blazer brass and aluminum round nose,Federal round nose, Glod dots 124 grain HP's,that Swiss stuff in the orange box at walmart,) ALL the rest has run 100% not a single failure in over 1000 mixed rounds. I just avoid WWB now..and thats fine ebcause while it USED to be the cheapest its pretty much right in the middle now as far as price goes so im not missing anything...

los
    Copy that.

I thought the issue may have been related to a specific type of ammo,..or ammo age.

I'm sure Ruger will make it right.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Personally, I love Ruger, My P345 is the best band for the buck in town, but the 8 round mag is a bit of a hold back, but, it does go bang every time, and the .45 will stop, regardless of capacity. (as long as you can hit what you are aiming at)

But, my point is, your Ruger is a good weapon from a reliable shop, I would by another any day of the week, so have faith and give it another chance.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    mine had a bunch(of crud) in the Striker channel(SR9c) when I cleaned it out. it does not like WB at all and I did get some light primer strikes on that ammo...but ONLY on that ammo...in over 1000 rounds of every other imaginable ammo ive run through it(American Eagle 147 grain flat points,Remington UMC Round nose 115 grain,Remington UMC 110 or 115 grain JHP's,Blazer brass and aluminum round nose,Federal round nose, Glod dots 124 grain HP's,that Swiss stuff in the orange box at walmart,) ALL the rest has run 100% not a single failure in over 1000 mixed rounds. I just avoid WWB now..and thats fine because while it USED to be the cheapest its pretty much right in the middle now as far as price goes so I'm not missing anything...
    That Swiss stuff in the orange box is what gives me the most trouble at least one light strike per magazine very unacceptable. This all just sucks because if it was any other pistol I would deal with it and hope it would get better in time but I purchased this pistol for one reason that I had my Utah CCW on the way. Out of all my rifles shotguns revolvers and and pistols this is the one I wanted to be most reliable and it is the complete opposite. I guess that life huh
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Personally, I love Ruger, My P345 is the best band for the buck in town, but the 8 round mag is a bit of a hold back, but, it does go bang every time, and the .45 will stop, regardless of capacity. (as long as you can hit what you are aiming at)

But, my point is, your Ruger is a good weapon from a reliable shop, I would by another any day of the week, so have faith and give it another chance.
    I will give it another chance no doubt I love Ruger I have 4 10/22's, 2 77 series rimfire guns, and a 22 Ruger pistol. I love Ruger and this will not deter me from buying another it just really sucks I am new to this whole conceal carry thing and the one thing I know and everyone says is the gun has to be reliable.
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

VIP Member
    Get an M&P and be done with it, all kidding aside. Nothing against the Ruger, but you are the second person in as many weeks who has brought up issues with cheaper range ammo. It is truly a shame if you can't use cheap range ammo because the cost to practice goes way up.

Try the federal WM stuff and see if that works better then the orange box swiss ammo. I have heard that they can have hard primers and you are not the only person I have heard having light strike issues with it. Try that before you ditch the Ruger.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward78 View Post
    Thanks for the advise but it has already been shipped out hopefully it is something simple and Ruger will get it strait quick and back to me. I did clean it up real good today before I went to the range spayed some gun scrubber up into the striker area allot did not help at all.
    When you get the gun back, I would avoid spraying gun scrubber into the firing pin hole or striker. That is what attracts the crud that stops up your firing pin causing light strikes.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Ruger makes good products and they have good service. When you get it back, commit to going to the range 4 times (cleaning in between) in 2 weeks and putting 200 round through it each time. That should give you a good indication of what to expect. I have 3 rugers and they'll take care of you and your weapon completely. Try American Eagle or Federal FMJ rounds. They have proven to be good practice rounds for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links