Seecamp .32 for Ruger LCP?

This is a discussion on Seecamp .32 for Ruger LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the Seecamp for my "no place to hide a gun" days, and it has been perfect for me. The LCP has been around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have the Seecamp for my "no place to hide a gun" days, and it has been perfect for me. The LCP has been around long enough to prove itself, and I am pondering making the switch to get a little more power. I know they're both anemic compared to larger rounds, but my thought is that it's better to be firing .380 than .32. Any opinions on this? I know the Seecamp is great quality, but the .32 thing concerns me...I don't have the cash for the Seecamp .380.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I would make that trade if I was the one getting the LCP

Load that pistol up with FMJ and be happy.

Shot placement and penetration is the name of the game. I'd imagine .32 FMJ should penetrate at least 12 inches? If so, and the pistol has been reliable, then keep it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Load that pistol up with FMJ and be happy.

Shot placement and penetration is the name of the game. I'd imagine .32 FMJ should penetrate at least 12 inches? If so, and the pistol has been reliable, then keep it.
    Seecamps will not accommodate FMJ, unless it is loaded to the correct OAL! Go to the Seecamp website for ammo recomendations, or call Larry Seecamp himself. I think there is one FMJ load that is the correct OAL.

Personally, I would stick with the Seecamp. (Got one!) I don't think that either the .32 ACP or .380 ACP is going to do much damage, especially from such a short barrel, so the difference is six one way, and half a dozen the other, IMHO.

FWIW, I am not one of the Seecamp fans who carries it and nothing else; I actually usually manage to tote at least a P229 on a daily basis, those being my duty pistols as well, and the ones with which I have trained the most. Seecamp pistols are true works of art, and I dearly love mine, but it is not a first-to-go-to weapon for me. The Seecamp DAO trigger is very compatible with the DAK trigger system of my SIGs, from a training standpoint.

Seecamp....all day long.
    Add you a mag extension and your good to go.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

[/QUOTE]FWIW, I am not one of the Seecamp fans who carries it and nothing else; I actually usually manage to tote at least a P229 on a daily basis, those being my duty pistols as well, and the ones with which I have trained the most. [/QUOTE]

I know, I struggle with this in my business where I run around in dress shirts or short sleeve collared shirts tucked in with dress pants. I am also in an industry where a lot of hugging upon greeting happens, so the tuckable holsters with some sort of cannon just can't work. It's literally either a pocket gun or a .38 on my ankle, which is so hard to get to in a snap that I opt for the pocket gun (my dress slacks don't accommodate my SW 638 in pocket carry, and if I get made I am toast) I have put many hours of thought and trial and error into this, and I am literally down to the mouseguns or nothing on some days.

Many thanks for your input though, I really struggle with this issue.

I would go for the .380 and the LCP everyday and twice on Sundays. The ballistics difference between .32 and .380 is enough to warrant an upgrade IMO. The Seacamp is a fine pistol, but its inability to function with multiple loadings is a huge setback IMO. The LCP is a fine pistol and as far as functionality goes, mine has several hundred rounds of various loads down range and still haven't had a malfunction to this day. The coolness factor goes to the SC but every other check goes to the LCP IMO. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I don't have and never owned a Seacamp, but I believe that you ar better off
    with a .380. I carry a Colt govt. Model .380 in the warmer weather and feel
    safe with it. As said above, shot placement and Hydrashock ammo, when you
    need small, it's a good combo IMHO.

Hmmm...I didn't realize the Seecamp was so picky about ammo. I'll echo what GBK posted - other than PowRBall, our two LCPs have eaten every other kind of ammo we've tried.

One other possible option for you - I am in very similar circumstances. Cannot afford to get made - so no gun on the hip for me. In addition to pocket carry of a LCP (or similar), you may wish to consider the Smartcarry. I spend a lot of time sitting (driving) now, so mine isn't as comfortable as it used to be (Glock 26 pushes into my bend point) but it does allow you to carry a bigger, better pistol. I found comfort increased by wearing it shifted over to 11:00 (I'm right handed) and wearing it a bit low.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I own the Seecamp .32 and and a Ruger LCP. I would carry the Ruger LCP every time simply because of the increase in power from the .380ACP round. The Seecamp is a jewel of a gun, but I don't carry it any longer simply because my LCP with Crimson Trace is much more accurate.

That being said, you should be able to sell the Seecamp for a decent price. There's no shortage of people who would buy one.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I test fired the Ruger and I admit I like it, but the Seecamp remained my pocket carry pistol because it is just so much smaller and easy to hide. That and I'm used to it I guess after so many years of carrying one.

los
    It's hard to beat a Seecamp for concealment. Light and diminutive in size, it's the perfect up-close and personal, point and shoot CCW.

But the new [lasered] lightweight autos are definitely something to consider, for sure. Apples to Apples, the Seecamp is the Bently,...but the Chevy will get you from point A to point B, just as fast.
    Last edited by los; June 1st, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    No No....Don't Do It! ~ Keep the Seecamp and load it with BuffaloBore .32ACP+P.
    Check It Out Here.
    .32 ACP +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Credit To BuffaloBore (from the Buffalo Bore web site)
    .32 ACP +P Ammo - 75 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 220 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

The 32 ACP auto inhabits a valuable and useful place in our society as a defensive cartridge, mostly because of the easily concealable, tiny pistols chambered for it. HOWEVER, because of the very limited size of the cartridge, it is plagued with limited power and therefore most of the existing ammo in 32 ACP suffers from not being reliable as a man-stopper. We've studied and examined nearly all available 32 ammo and find it wanting as a reliable means of self defense, especially against a large, drugged up/pain free, determined attacker.

Here's the problem. The current 32 ACP frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma, but lacks sufficient penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face, with modern, frangible 32 ACP ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek. I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the pain, as that frangible bullet would have stopped somewhere in my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible bullet and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and won't know that part of his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So, whatever 32 ACP ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 32 ACP is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down instantly. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your loved ones, is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we've designed this 32 ACP+P load to keep you and yours alive under the worst of scenarios.

This 32 ACP+P ammo will better all American made 32 ACP+P ammo by 110 fps to 150 fps with a heavier bullet than any other American made 32 ACP ammo.

Item 30A/20 is a 75gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,000 fps out of my 3.4 inch Beretta Mod. 70. We've used a flash suppressed powder so that you won't be blinded by your own gunfire in the dark. This is significant as well over 90% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light when the criminal element is out and about. Also, this flat nosed, nonexpanding, hard cast, bullet will penetrate deeply and will do much more damage than the typical round nosed FMJ bullet. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through living tissue, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities from my personal 32 ACP pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not the exaggerated speeds you'll see produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo advertising, is truly what you get in the "real world" where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over-penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 32 ACP pistol and the trade off is that now you are going to have to stay alive using this pistol and over-penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

A. Berretta Mod. 70, 3 inch bbl.- 1001 fps

B. Kel Tek, 2.5 inch bbl - 910 fps

C. Seecamp, 2 inch bbl. - 856 fps

The above bullet speeds are 110 fps to 150 fps faster than the Winchester 71 gr. FMJ ammo on the American market. Not only is our bullet heavier than any other American made 32 ACP ammo, but it is moving about 15% to 20% faster - with that heavier bullet!
    Feeding and function was flawless in the three test pistols listed above.

QKShooter, I've never heard +P discussed in reference to .32 before. I assume there are no worries with pressures exceeding the capability of the weapon? If a Kel Tec can take it, I assume my Seecamp can....

I would definitely test out the BB for reliability. I looked into it originally for my Seecamp and found that others had a lot of feed problems with it.

The L.W. Seecamp Company Forum - Buffalo Bore .32acp+P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links