Tough choice between 3 guns

This is a discussion on Tough choice between 3 guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, this is crazy, 54 votes for the 1911, 53 votes for the 40, wow!...

View Poll Results: Which would you carry as an everyday?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W M&P 40 Compact, Crimson Trace

111 50.68%
  • Kimber Ultra Carry II, Crimson Trace

88 40.18%
  • S&W Airweight .380 bug, Crimson Trace

20 9.13%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough choice between 3 guns

Ok, this is crazy, 54 votes for the 1911, 53 votes for the 40, wow!

2. Remove Ads

Compact 1911. thin, concealable, single stack, single action trigger ... .45 cal holes!!

Go with the Kimber, and work on them double taps!!

COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

i'm not a .40 fan but definitely the M&P

The Kimber gets my vote

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    D: Glock
    Proud NRA member

Looks to me like you have at least a couple options for different occasions.

I chose the M&P for reliability and capacity.

I generally carry my G19 or 26, but there are some occasions where dress, contact with others, etc. might make my 642 a better choice. If you’re confident with all of them and train with all of them, there’s no reason you can’t carry more than one of them.

For a primary carry though, I’d go with the M&P.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Like BikerRN, I carry two off duty, reloads for each, at least two knives, two flashlights, and a phone. I choose the M&P. I have the fullsize and have no problems carrying it and a BUG. And yes, carry an extra mag! Or at least a second gun. I carry what I carry and I carry it nearly all the time. I carry it the same as people who carry a 5 shot .22LR. It's just part of me. Carry what you are going to carry. Meaning: always have a gun!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I'm a big fan of Kimber. In fact, my next gun will be a Kimber Crimson Carry.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I pocket carry my M&P compact all the time. That is what I voted.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

M&P 40c every day of the week. Lightweight, more ammo on board, and a very potent caliber that has proven itself on the street.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

you wont be dissapointed with the kimber. I have the 9mm version, laser and all. wouldnt trade it for anything. conceals great, as as u mentioned, the trigger on a 1911 is just sooooo nice.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    From personal experience with three bad Kimbers, Kimber is out of contention, in my mind. (Yes, I was a slow learner.) Other compact 1911s have me shy of all such guns. When the springs start getting tired, they start getting finicky, as the balance of spring weights is so important with these little guns. To be clear, my finicky Kimbers were full-sized, and my finicky compact 1911s were other brands.

The S&W M&P .40 series seems it may not yet be ready for prime time, based on what I hear from our academy cadets. Most work 100%, of course, but enough are problematic to concern me. I reckon that if the OP has fired his M&P .40 enough to be sure of its reliability, it is one of the good ones.

Much as I hate to vote for an S&W revolver with a keyhole, I reckon that by default I might go with that one. (I will vote later.)

Might as well carry it empty, as the scenario calls for no spare ammo. A firearm with no spare ammo is a temporary firearm, but some see a handgun as a mere talisman, and a talisman needs no ammo, as it protects by providing good luck. I see a firearm as a tool, not a talisman, so I carry mine loaded, and also carry spare ammo.

I also don't like lasers. The member who mentioned a sheriff's department banning lasers, because his deputies were wasting time activating the laser, and looking for the red dot, is right in line with other practical studies of lasers on defensive weapons. Only a person with major close-up vision problems really needs a laser, IMHO. Even with my aging eyes, which see standard handgun sights as fuzzballs, I can still do well enough at least as far as 15 yards, without corrective lenses or optics; just line up the three fuzzballs, level with each other, and shoot.

I have carried the M&P 40c for over a year in a Crossbreed Supertuck. At the range, I have put everything I could find through it. Never a problem, I must be lucky.

I have only taken it down once, about 4 months ago, to clean it.

Thinking of getting my wife a 9c.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by dagored View Post
    I have carried the M&P 40c for over a year in a Crossbreed Supertuck. At the range, I have put everything I could find through it. Never a problem, I must be lucky.

I have only taken it down once, about 4 months ago, to clean it.

Thinking of getting my wife a 9c.
    You've only taken it down once to clean it? You should really maintain it more if its your carry... Even if (like you said) it is extremely reliable for ya.

Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    You've only taken it down once to clean it? You should really maintain it more if its your carry... Even if (like you said) it is extremely reliable for ya.

Just my 2c.
    I know I am going to take a beating for this, but I listen to all the older guys that have done well in life and have "been there done that".

I have yet to be steered wrong. A few of them told me to clean it only when it gets dirty. Now, that is questionable. What is "dirty"?

I also have a Beretta 92FS and a Px4 Storm SC and they are treated the same. I know the 92 needs cleaned, when it fails to eject.

It is not my carry gun, but my range gun. I rotate the Storm and S&W 40C. Never a problem with either. I wipe them off after going to the range, but I do not strip them down and do the "whole 9 yards".
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links