Tough choice between 3 guns

This is a discussion on Tough choice between 3 guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive got a Smith&Wess MP40 compact, kimber ultra carry 3", and an airweight S&W .38. Ive trained in all three, put 1000+ rounds through all ...

View Poll Results: Which would you carry as an everyday?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W M&P 40 Compact, Crimson Trace

111 50.68%
  • Kimber Ultra Carry II, Crimson Trace

88 40.18%
  • S&W Airweight .380 bug, Crimson Trace

20 9.13%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough choice between 3 guns

Tough choice between 3 guns

Ive got a Smith&Wess MP40 compact, kimber ultra carry 3", and an airweight S&W .38.

Ive trained in all three, put 1000+ rounds through all of them, comfortable with them all (no tactical training... YET, on any of them), just range time, 7, 10, 25 m)

All three have crimson trace laser grips.

Im having trouble deciding which should be my normal carry piece.

What stands out with all 3...

S&W40c: Light, and really molds around my hand. I fell in love with the feel of it right away. Sights are good, standard white dots. Mag holds 10, havent ever had a problem with feeding anything. The trigger pull is longer than I would like. No external safety (doesnt bother me).

Kimber 3" 1911: Awesome trigger, I love firing single action, very accurate 1-2" spread <10m if I really really try. Also has laser grip. Very lightweight. I like the design a lot. Its also quite a pretty piece, but looks don't matter for this too much.

Airweight revolver: I can put this anywhere, but its only 5 shots. I dont want to carry another mag or speedloader during normal carry. Surprisingly accurate with my lasergrips, but the sights are horrible. otherwise. Not completely comfortable yet with iron sights, would actually prefer the laser sights (i dont want to rely on them but its SO easy to just take it anywhere).

Assuming I carry chambered, cocked/locked, etc with all 3, which would you carry if you had the choice, and why?

Assume equal consistency in feeding for the two semis, and assume you just have to pick one (I understand its ok to switch based on scenarios)

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by javahawk; June 1st, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I'm guessing you mean S&W .38 and not .380?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Since you have made the decision to not carry spare ammo I think the M&P would be the most logical choice.

I dont want to carry another mag or speedloader during normal carry.
    Carrying a weapon without any spare ammo strikes me as one that carries the gun as a talisman to ward off evil.

For those that say, "I'm not a cop on duty." Granted, you're not. What you are is someone without access to the shotgun or rifle, instantly summonable reinforcements and communication tools to summon that assistance, and someone that will most likely appear to others as a "Man With a Gun" and not a citizen in fear of their life or the life of another trying to stop a felonious attacker.

Now ask yourself if you really want to be without spare ammunition at a time like that?

You will notice I haven't even touched on gun malfunctions. What I am touching on is that you will in fact be, most likely, alone and that is not the time to be wishing or wondering if you have enough tools in your toolbox to deal with the situation as it presents itself.

My off duty carry is two guns, two reloads, two knives and one form of communication equipment. How hard is it, if you're not given to carrying two guns, is it to carry one or two reloads?

To be honest it strikes me as laziness, or one not really prepared to use their gun for self defense. That's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I will admit to carrying only one gun often when I'm taking the trash to the curb for pick-up the next day, but for general daily carry the above, multiple guns, holds true.

Biker

I don't think not carrying extra ammunition in any way makes me a lazy person or not prepared.

No offense, sir.

I carry the M&P40c daily and absolutely love it. It's the perfect gun for me.

I had a .38 airweight that I never felt comfortable carrying due to the low round count and ballistics of the .38, very slow to re-load also.

Check out the Apex Tactical sear and striker block for the M&P, this makes the trigger so so so much better. It's worth every penny.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I'd go with the .38 for comfort, ease of carry, and the ability to use it as a weapon of at point blank into the body of whatever is attacking me.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Of those choice's I clicked on the compact M&P. Of what I have on hand I usually pocket carry my S&W 642 .38 snubby - other times OWB strong side my S&W CS45.
    For God, Family and Country!

I chose the Airweight revolver.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Of those choice's I clicked on the compact M&P. Of what I have on hand I usually pocket carry my S&W 642 .38 snubby - other times OWB strong side my S&W CS45.
    Looks like you are back to the CS45.What happened to your Taurus?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i voted for kimber because if you shoot all well under stress then well 45 acp is known to have one of the best man stopping. extra ammo would be great but if your a good shot you only need a few round for the BG(s)

None of the three would be my personal choice but of the three the S&W 40 would be it.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Since my usual primary carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Aegis, converted to 9x23, my obvious choice of your three would be the Kimber. However, whichever one you carry, you should carry at least one reload, as others have noted. Magazines fail more often than any other part of an autoloader, and Mr. Murphy has ridden on my shoulder enough times to remind me that all mechanical devices sometimes fail. For the revolver, the likelihood of needing more than 5 shots, if indeed you ever have to shoot, is very real, and a speed strip or two take up so little belt or pocket space, there is really no reason not to. Same with single-stack magazines. Double stack magazines are bulkier, but one carried in a proper belt pouch is not a problem to conceal. If for whatever reason, you simply refuse to carry spare mags, speedloaders or ammo, then it's a no-brainer: carry the M&P and keep the mag and mag spring regularly checked and replaced.

cmb
    you listed the 38 as a backup gun, will you indeed be carrying that in addition? I agree with Biker to a point, I am only half lazy! I carry a 1911 and BUG and at least one reload. You just never know. I guess I wouldn't want to be found needing. Also since my 1911 is full size the reload, BUG, wallet, phone knife help to balance on the belt! I vote Kimber if you carry a reload, if not M&P for round count...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Since my usual primary carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Aegis, converted to 9x23, my obvious choice of your three would be the Kimber. However, whichever one you carry, you should carry at least one reload, as others have noted. Magazines fail more often than any other part of an autoloader, and Mr. Murphy has ridden on my shoulder enough times to remind me that all mechanical devices sometimes fail. For the revolver, the likelihood of needing more than 5 shots, if indeed you ever have to shoot, is very real, and a speed strip or two take up so little belt or pocket space, there is really no reason not to. Same with single-stack magazines. Double stack magazines are bulkier, but one carried in a proper belt pouch is not a problem to conceal. If for whatever reason, you simply refuse to carry spare mags, speedloaders or ammo, then it's a no-brainer: carry the M&P and keep the mag and mag spring regularly checked and replaced.
    I routinely switch mags to keep my springs fresh, not that its a replacement for carrying an extra mag or anything..

I just havent really considered carrying extra mags on me, I'll look more into it, thanks for the input so far!

I voted M&P, just because of round count.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links