Kahr Questions (CW9-P9-P45)

This is a discussion on Kahr Questions (CW9-P9-P45) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pretty intrigued in the Kahr line of guns after my last thread and the idea to go to a pocket carry. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr Questions (CW9-P9-P45)

I am pretty intrigued in the Kahr line of guns after my last thread and the idea to go to a pocket carry. I am a bigger guy so my pockets are typically big in the pants that fit me (I can fit a full 4.3" Garmin GPS in my pocket).

1. I understand that the CW9 doesn't have some of the features of the P9 but am I really missing out by going with the CW9? Here's Kahr's comparison KAHR CW9093 / Detail images . It's not like I am shooting for competition but I do want to make sure it shoots every time and fits well in my pocket.

2. How much bigger is the P45 and is it comfy in a pocket? Wouldn't mind having a .45 in my pocket and don't mind the recoil from small .45s.

I am mostly leaning towards the CW9 unless by buying it I am really going to miss all the P9's features. P45 is the outside chance if I get a little saucy. It is really between one of these Kahrs and the Walther PPS which I love other than the mag release which is hella awkward.

Can't give any guidance on the P45.

On the CW9, I have one and I don't believe that you will be missing out on anything, unless...you want to have night sites put on it. The CW's front site is two posts that go down through the slide instead of being dovetailed in the slide. Other than that, forged slide release on CW vs machined on P9 (big deal). Rifled barrel vs Polygonal on P9 (unless you shoot competition, no biggy) CW is plenty accurate. Engraved slide and the 45 degree cut on the slide vs the P9's cosmetic features (not important at all).

If you want the CW9, go for it. I love mine.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

+1 on the CW9. Mine has been flawless for over 500 rounds now. I have only had mine for a few months but I would recommend it to anyone.
    God bless our troops!

Thanks both of you...yeah I don't need night sights on this one. I have night sights on my HD gun (CZ 75B).

Quote Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
    Thanks both of you...yeah I don't need night sights on this one. I have night sights on my HD gun (CZ 75B).
    Then go for the CW9 and enjoy.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Then go for the CW9 and enjoy.
    10-4 sir...well hopefully I get to try one either just holding or find someone in Cincinnati that has one and doesn't mind me shooting off a mag or two.

I'm about to pick up a Ruger LCP as the BUG as well.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Evidently Kahr does on some occasions sell night sights for the CW9 - they're listed on Kahr's website, but have been out-of-stock for some time.

Looks like a great choice, actually: very easy to conceal, and well-built.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Evidently Kahr does on some occasions sell night sights for the CW9 - they're listed on Kahr's website, but have been out-of-stock for some time.

Looks like a great choice, actually: very easy to conceal, and well-built.
    I've noticed this also, but I imagine, even if they had them in stock, you'd have to send the slide (or gun) to them to have them installed.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I suggest you at least dry fire the CW9 if you choose to go that way. I had a CW9 that ran flawlessly, but for some reason, every time I squeezed the trigger, my trigger finger would get pinched between the frame and the trigger. The end result was that I could not shoot more than 10 rounds without a blister developing on my finger. I ended up selling the gun.

I posted this problem on forums, and no one else seemed to have this problem.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

CW9

I have 500 rounds through my CW9. It is a great pistol. I did buy a Hogue Hand all Jr. slip on grip. The polymer Kahr grips are a little rough for me to have a 100+ round range day. My favorite carry pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I've carry my CW9 everyday for the past 3 years. It's been flawless after the initial 50 round break-in period, although, I think Kahr recommends 100. All in all, I've put probably 800 rounds through it and it's been perfect every since. Very accurate for a little gun. The only compliant I have is my complete inability to shoot the DOA trigger, but that's my fault.. not the gun's.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

I have had a Kahr P45 for three years. It carry's and conceals nicely in my UBG IWB Canute holster. Very comfortable. I am 6', 250, athletic build, no problems. It has performed flawlessly, and I feed it my own reloaded gunfood. Recoil is fine. Nice CCW.

I too have and like the CW9. Mine rides IWB quite often, and I also enjoy it as a range gun. Plenty accurate at what I call self-defense (30' - 45' ft) range. However, I do not consider it a pocket gun, as it has enough grip frame for me to get all my fingers on it. I'm 6', 250+. I don't have any pants with pockets big enough to allow an easy draw from a pocket holster, unless you count cargo pockets. It's small, but not tiny.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

About two years ago I was in the market for a self defense handgun for concealed carry. I rented a number of guns ('tho not the Walther PPS) and found the CW9 to be the smallest, lightest semi-auto I felt confident handling and shooting.

In the first six months or so I had to send it back to Kahr three times. Each time service was excellent. Since then it's been flawless.

Now, two years later, with about 3000 rounds through it, and thousands more of dry fire clicks, it's still going strong.

I find that I can pocket carry it in my cargo pants that have large pockets, but it's too big for pocket carry in jeans, etc.

Depending on the circumstances I use a Smart Carry holster, or a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by rlimke View Post
    I have had a Kahr P45 for three years. It carry's and conceals nicely in my UBG IWB Canute holster. Very comfortable. I am 6', 250, athletic build, no problems. It has performed flawlessly, and I feed it my own reloaded gunfood. Recoil is fine. Nice CCW.
    Have you ever tried to pocket carry it or is that totally out of the question? Like I wrote earlier I have rather big pockets in the pants that I typically buy (Croft and Barrow with the stretchy things on the waist).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links