Help me decide...

Help me decide...

This is a discussion on Help me decide... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to toss a coin here. I am getting a .380 tomorrow for summer carry. I am getting either a Bersa Thunder .380 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide...

Help me decide...

I am about to toss a coin here. I am getting a .380 tomorrow for summer carry. I am getting either a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Taurus TCP. Same price, but the Taurus comes with 2 mags and is stainless. Anyone have any experience with the new Taurus?

Well...after doing some research, the Taurus is still having some issues with the magazines and slide catch. So I went with the Bersa. Feels good. I hope to shoot it Friday. I will let you know how it does.

the Bersa is a beefy .380, but I have heard no complaints on it. I would have suggested a look at the Taurus PT709: much slimmer than the Bersa, of course you have fewer rounds available, but they would be 9MM instead of .380... I am loving mine, and have had 0 issues from day one. Current round count in excess of 200 and not even cleaned from the factory lube job!
    Let us know how the Bersa shoots... and doesn't it have a capacity of 12 rounds? Not a bad choice at all.

I had considered the Taurus Slim, but I was limited on funds and the reliability is about 50% right now. When they fix the extractor issues I may get one.

The Bersa Thunder .380 only holds 7 rounds, but with good ammo and a longer barrel than others it boosts performance and accuracy. After all, its all about shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    the Bersa is a beefy .380, but I have heard no complaints on it. I would have suggested a look at the Taurus PT709: much slimmer than the Bersa, of course you have fewer rounds available, but they would be 9MM instead of .380... I am loving mine, and have had 0 issues from day one. Current round count in excess of 200 and not even cleaned from the factory lube job!
    Let us know how the Bersa shoots... and doesn't it have a capacity of 12 rounds? Not a bad choice at all.

The Thunder .380 is a 7+1 with available 9 and 21 (barrel) magazines. (just try finding a nine round mag, I dare ya, or ammo for that matter). The Bersa CC .380 I think is standard 9rd capacity, though I haven't checked in a while.

Now, I have the Thunder .380 and it has been a breeze to CC, very comfortable in a IWB holster with almost no print. My only concern, is at the range, I loaded 3, 7 shot mags with range ammo and it jammed 8 times! The first 100 rounds were store bought, brandee new and went through that gun like $hit through a goose. Those 21 rounds of range bought went in the trash. I haven't had a chance to go out and fire with the new ammo since then, so can't confirm it was absolutely an ammo problem, but am pretty sure it was.

My local gun store has a big shipment of .380 so I picked up 4 boxes and am going to another store tomorrow for some Gold Dots ;)

GM
    It does not matter if it comes with 10 mags if it is not a good firearm; and Taurus are not good firearms. Not to talk about their customer service.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

re

i own a bersa thunder duo-tone and i thinks a great gun - i vote thunder
    taurus is hit or miss - mostly miss imo
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    This is the first I've really heard about Taurus being bad... I've heard great things about their repair and warranty service, so, if you would elaborate please.

Taurus is on my list of future contenders for the safe/carry, and if they are NO GO, I'd like informed reasons why.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I have owned several Taurus handguns and have had all good things new. My first Taurus was a used PT 140. A frame pin walked out, the disassembly pin broke and the slide locked open after every shot. I attribute this to the former owner. I sent it back to Taurus and got it back 3 weeks later without any issues.

If its newer, its bound to have bugs that need to be worked out. The KTs did as did the LCPs. I give them another year and the bugs should be fixed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    This is the first I've really heard about Taurus being bad... I've heard great things about their repair and warranty service, so, if you would elaborate please.

Taurus is on my list of future contenders for the safe/carry, and if they are NO GO, I'd like informed reasons why.
    You have got to be kidding! This is the first you have heard about Taurus and QA/QC issues a long with customer service? Do yourself a favor and search this forum. You will see quotes like "friends don't let friends buy Taurus"
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I would even look at the Sig P238 and the Kel Tec P3AT just to give you options.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I had a Bersa and loved it. A great gun and an outstanding value. Mine was one of my most accurate guns and it never jammed or malfunctioned in any way.

I only got rid of it because if i could carry a gun that size I carred one of my 9mm's and I found .380 too expensive for just plinking or range so I sold it to buy another gun.

I think it's great and hope you enjoy yours. Let us know how it's doing!

Gideon

The Bersa Thunder is a fine gun and a good carry piece. It's small enough to conceal and large enough to be easy to handle and shoot. It's VERY accurate. The drop-hammer safety and DA/SA trigger make it perfect for carrying one in the pipe. Modern .380 ammo is very effective as a SD round.

id spend i lil extra and get the taurus pt 709 it great for summer carry and its 9mm
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links