10MM!

10MM!

This is a discussion on 10MM! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always stayed away from them because of possible lack of ammo and ammo pricing, but I gotta say I just can't shake the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10MM!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

10MM!

I have always stayed away from them because of possible lack of ammo and ammo pricing, but I gotta say I just can't shake the want for one! anyone want to give there opinion on why or why not buy one. As far as pistols I have a couple 45's and a 40. I am looking at glocks mod 20. Not a real big glock fan "only cuz of feel" but don't know if anyone else is making a 10MM for a reasonable price. any comments or advice would be appriciated. thanks

I own a G29 SF. it is more concealable and can accept G20 mags.
    As far as "feel", I carry more about function and reliability than feel and looks. But that is just me.

Go for it. G20 is rough and ready for any work/play you have in mind.

You can hunt with a 10mm also!

As far as ammo goes - order online. Choices are great and the prices were below what I could find on the shelf - and what I could find on the shelf was not worth having.

I get my 10mm self defense and hunting loads here: DoubleTap Ammunition

If you want to save even more money and shoot 40 S&W from your G20 just buy an after-market barrel in 40S&W made for the G20. It slips right in and there is nothing else to do but load up your mags and start firing.

I bought my 40S&W barrel from here: Lone Wolf Distributors - Products - Conversion

As you can see you can convert your G20 for a total use of 4 calibers:
    10mm
    .357Sig
    40S&W
    9x25

5 calibers if you count Advantage Arms 22LR kit for the G20

Advantage Arms Barrels & Choke Tubes advantage arms 22lr conversion kit,-glockworld.com

I have two 20s and a 29. Both my 20s have had grip reductions, and my 29 is presently getting one. For me, the 20 is a bit bigger than I want to carry concealed, but the 29 will work great. Try Tom at Heritage Firearms in Austin, TX for a great, inexpensive grip reduction.

So is the Glock my only option???

There is a .50gi conversion and maybe 9mm as well
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Glock is not the only option, but will probably be the cheapest. I have a couple of Colt Delta Elites, one of which I carry with some frequency. They can be found on the auction sites sometimes, but have gotten pretty pricey. Kimber has made a couple of different models in 10mm, but I don't know if any are presently catalogued. Dan Wesson also used to make one, and the couple I've seen looked good. EAA does the Witness in 10mm, in both full-size and compact versions. The full-size is a big gun, weighing 43 oz. without a magazine, and about 54-55 oz. loaded. (Their catalog transposes the numbers, listing it at 34 oz.) I have one in the Elite Match version, and I like it, but choose not to carry a gun that big and heavy. The compact version is still pretty heavy, but carryable in a good holster on a good belt.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have the Colt Delta Elite. I highly recommend them. As JohnLevick said they are more pricey then the Glocks. BUT...... They fit your hand like a 1911.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I have a G20, G29 and a Colt Delta. The colt will run in excess of $900. the Glocks are going to be under $600. Dan Wesson and Kimber are not currently producing 10mm but you can pick them up used. I think in the Glock price range your only other choice will be the EAA Witness.

As far as ammo goes there is surprisingly significant amounts available on line and they are hotter than anything you can buy at your local Gun shop.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Here's the Delta I carry sometimes:

Frontstrap checkering by Marc Morganti, hardchrome by Virgil Tripp, front and rear sight dovetails by a talented, young local smith, and I did what little else has been done. The beavertail is an item Wilson used to sell, and still should; I love the design, and it was one of the easiest to fit I've ever done. Holster is a Brommeland Max-Con V.

Dragman-
    I shared your desire & concern about 10mm. I order ammo online and the price is about the same as .45acp (TOO MUCH.) I don't have the "Glock aversion" that you mentioned. Glock is affordable, reliable, and handles 10mm well.

I opted for the G29. The G20 would be fine for hunting but it's hard to conceal. I carry my G29 when I'm in the woods and sometimes in town. We do some camping in bear & boar country and I'd rather have the 10 than other calibers I own.

My uncle has a Delta Elite, they're nice but expensive. It's fabulous at the range. I personally wouldn't want to drag one through some of the brush and muck that I hike through, or get it rained on, etc. I don't worry about my Glock.

Maybe that helps, I hope so.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

The glock is probably the only one I will be able to buy at the present. Shop I work for sold a Delta Gold Cup 10MM last week it was sweet, but outta my Price range.

I recently purchased a S&W 1006.
    I have taken it to the range a few times, last weekend therer was an individual with a chronograph, so I asked him to check the Remington UMC target loads I was shooting.....they were slower than the .40 target loads that he was shooting by about 100fps.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

thanks for all the info guys! I will be sick until I buy one I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    I recently purchased a S&W 1006.
    I have taken it to the range a few times, last weekend therer was an individual with a chronograph, so I asked him to check the Remington UMC target loads I was shooting.....they were slower than the .40 target loads that he was shooting by about 100fps.
    Not too surprising. Even the Federal AE 10mm loads are pretty light, but typically hotter than .40s. 10mm factory loads span a very broad range of velocities, which is, to me, an added attraction. You can have 180 grain bullets at 900-1000 fps., or at 1300 or so, or 135s at 1600fps., and many other loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links