Went for a walk in the rain - Page 2

Went for a walk in the rain

This is a discussion on Went for a walk in the rain within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is when the PSK comes in to play. I always carry a 1 gallon Zip Lock baggie in my PSK. The last 2 times ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is when the PSK comes in to play. I always carry a 1 gallon Zip Lock baggie in my PSK. The last 2 times I used one was to store pistol magazines as I was crossing a stream, and the last time was used as an "ice pack" to a friends sprained ankle.

Zip Lock baggies can be rolled down very thightly, and banded with a little duct tape ( that comes handy every so often ). they are as useful as 550 paracord. Great to have around.

P.S. PSK ( personal survival kit ). Check out Doug Ritter's survival packs.

Run faster next time. Just kidding, so what was your time for the 1.5 mile run?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You need to place it under infrared lights to keep it from shrinking down to a .380 as it dries. And for heavens sake don't put it in the dryer or it'll shrink down to .22 LR.
    I got a pretty good laugh out of that one.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Funny, I got caught in that same storm.

Just clean 'n oil her and she'll be fine!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You need to place it under infrared lights to keep it from shrinking down to a .380 as it dries. And for heavens sake don't put it in the dryer or it'll shrink down to .22 LR.
    Or load it with .45's while it's still wet...you can stretch it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    That's what I figured. Now to deal with my wet shoes...
    Put them on and wear them until they dry. They'll fit better than ever.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I got dump in the lake with my Kimber and 2 mags. I dried and oiled the gun and took the ammo to the range and all went bang. The gun was in the lake for about 20 minutes before we got to shore.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Or load it with .45's while it's still wet...you can stretch it!
    That was good
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    anybody whos hunted in the rain will tell you...it doesnt hurt a thing...clean & lube it it as you would nomally...the lubricant you use isnt just to make things run smoothly...it protects internals also...
    +1. We've gone so far as to sink guns in Lake Okeechobee while duck hunting - we found the guns (yes, it has happened more than once), took them home and took them apart, oiled them, and they were good as new.

As for your shoes, wallet and cell, place them under the intake for the A/C. It will dry them out very fast. Also, for the cell phone, I would open it up (if you can) and let the whole thing dry out for 24 hours, then spray just a touch of TC-11 on the electronics inside (if you were able to open it up). It should work good as new, so long as you didn't try starting it when it was wet.

Administrator
    If you ever have a Carbon steel firearm that gets wet internally and you cannot get to it pronto to prevent rusting...you can saturate the entire firearm internally and externally with WD40.
    Spray the inside heavily until the WD40 actually spills out...work the trigger and any/all controls and that will displace all of the water.

Usually though if your firearm is already properly lubed it will already be pretty much moisture protected.
    You still do not want lots of water trapped internally so shake it out as best possible.
    And you can leave it in the sun for a while if you're camping to heat it up a bit.

+1 QKShooter! Excellent advice, as usual.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I took it to the range today, everything performed as expected. Thanks for the advice, I figured it was okay, but asking never hurts.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links