CZ 82 advice...

This is a discussion on CZ 82 advice... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ran across a CZ 82 9x18 used in good condition (as far as I can tell)at a local gun store yesterday. Asking price is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 82 advice...

CZ 82 advice...

I ran across a CZ 82 9x18 used in good condition (as far as I can tell)at a local gun store yesterday. Asking price is $230.

I have seen occasional mention of this gun and it always seems positive. My first time seeing or handling this make of gun, it felt very good and solid in my hand. Not sure of and unfamiliar with the 9x18. Seems like it's between .380 and 9x19.

Anyone familiar with this gun I'd appreciate some feedback. How about the asking price? Is $230 reasonable for a gun such as this in good condition? Thanks for any advice.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have been singing the praises of this handgun for a few years now, including on this site. The CZ 82 is most likely the best buy in a hi quality handgun today period. Hard to believe the BATF was petitioned and made this gun a Curio and Relic eligible firearm since it’s a modern DA, 12 round cap. handgun with a polygonal rifled barrel. CZ still makes the .380 version the CZ83 and it sells for around $450. CZ's in general are great handguns. I own 3 of these fine handguns and purchased them all with my C&R FFL for less than $200 shipped to my door.

As far as the 9x18 makarov round, its a bit move powerful than the
    .380 and the ammo (Russian steel cased and brass cased) can be found at many online vendors like AIM, J&G, SOG, Classic Arms, Midway and Sportsman’s Guide, and its a good bit cheaper than 9x19 or 9x17/ .380).

$230 is not a bad retail price for a good example and almost all now imported are in great mechanical shape. Holsters for the Bersa .380 and the PPK series usually will fit the gun.

Do a search here and you will find several other posts with info about the CZ82. The CZ82 served as the front line sidearm of the Czech military and police for many years and is extremely tough and reliable. being an all steel pistol it is a bit heavy for its size but thats why its so strong.

I Duracoated this gun with black matte finish and added custom grips red wattle wood by Dennis Marschalko http://www.marschalgrips.com/?content=CZ-models

I carry this one often and keep another in my Maxpedition bag

CCing in this photo at work, and on Fridays we have "Open Carry Friday", I work for a small 8 person civil engineering firm and the 3 owners/principles in the firm are CCW permit holders too. Yes, I love my job!

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    +1 for the -82! I got one for $169 + FFL & shipping so $230 is about right. Best $$ spent on a handgun so far. Bought one to customize and present to my son when he returns from middle east.

Very well designed pistol, very safe. Firm but smooth DA trigger, crisp SA. I reload my ammo for it, making the brass from 9mm Luger cases. A real pleasure to shoot, very accurate.

Yes, between .380 & 9mm in power. Been looking for some SD rounds but haven't located any yet. Light recoil, easy on followup shots. Cheap range ammo is available many places (online, etc.).

I DuraCoated mine and have a set of Marschel's grips on the way to replace the plastic ones, the only "cheap" thing about the CZ-82. One common thing I've found with the CZ-82 is it tends to shoot low. Parts can be hard to find, but CZ-83 parts will fit. Easy to field strip. Tricky to break down to it's 52 parts, but can be done (I'm proof). Several online sites will guide you through it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

+2 on the above Pro-Z82 posts.
    I have (2) purchased with my FFL03 and may end up getting another! It is as reliable as my Glocks, but actually feels better in the hand and is a joy to shoot.
    The 9mm makarov round is ballistically a little under the 9mm, but a step above the .380 and the ammo is more affordable than both 9mm and .380.
    Like all good things, they won't last forever on the Milsurp market, and the un-issued versions are gone already. Some hitting the dealer shelves are much rougher than the versions of a year ago, but they can be refinished, and the mechanics are bulletproof.
    I trust mine enough to have it in my CCW rotation. Hands down, the best value on the market. If you don't have one, get one before the supply dries up and the pricing goes up! They can still be had from J&G and SOG, and others, and some really nice (i.e. decent paint, minimal wear and tear) ones can still be had with a hand-pick option from distributors for under $200.

Let me try a pic or two!

As it came from the distributor: complete with original military flap holster! this is the first, and Almost mint....

This jewel is nearly PERFECT! Even tho it is painted, it is almost flawless. A true Gem.

+eleventeenmillion on the CZ82.

I ordered mine from AIM Surplus a couple of weeks ago. For $229 I received a gun that looks like it's never been used. It came with 2 mags and a holster.

I finally had a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through it. It's functioned flawlessly even with really cheap Brown Bear ammo. Recoil was very manageable even with the original recoil spring. The gun hits where you aim it.

Basically, it's loads of fun for not too much money.

I've order several different types of ammo for it and I'm anxious to see how reliable it will function with JHP's and the new stuff from Buffalo Bore.

I wanted to add that the grips that come with the CZ82 are perfectly fine. I don't find them cheap in any way.

my buddy has one and LOVES it......
    the only con he has is that its a little harder to clean then his XD, and his glock.... but it shoots GREAT..
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

I'm pretty sure the latest CDNN catalog had this in it for either $169 or $189. Not 100% sure, but you should give them a call - they normally have pretty decent pricing.

ETA: I've also heard great things about this model. It's on my list!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

About the only "bad" thing one can say about the CZ-82 is that around here, 9x18 ammo is expensive and hard to find in gun stores. Even cheap practice ammo. So I get around that by ordering it online.

Good gun. Good price. Get it.

I don't worry about "carry" ammo for mine. I just carry 100 gr Wolf, FMJ.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    About the only "bad" thing one can say about the CZ-82 is that around here, 9x18 ammo is expensive and hard to find in gun stores. Even cheap practice ammo. So I get around that by ordering it online.

Good gun. Good price. Get it.

I don't worry about "carry" ammo for mine. I just carry 100 gr Wolf, FMJ.
    Cheaper Than Dirt has Brown Bear FMJ for about $9 per box. Shipping is not unreasonable either.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by D Strokes View Post
    I'm pretty sure the latest CDNN catalog had this in it for either $169 or $189. Not 100% sure, but you should give them a call - they normally have pretty decent pricing.

ETA: I've also heard great things about this model. It's on my list!
    They have 3 prices, including $159 to the above, depending on condition. I've bought 2 of the $169s, both mechanically perfect, only holster wear on the finish. Shipping is @$19 for 2-day (all they use) plus whatever the FFL fees are at your local GS. Since I was going to DuraCoat both, I didn't spring for the 189 price.

As noted by others, the plastic grips seem to work loose, but I ordered a set of Marschal's wood grips to spruce it up a bit. I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend this pistol, especially for someone who wants a nice, inexpensive project gun. A bit tedious to completely disassemble and reassemble, but there's a couple of really good websites to ease you through it. Wolff makes a set of recoil springs and firing pin spring for it.

You'll be surprised when you look through the barrel--looks like a smoothbore. I couldn't convince the local gunsmith that it was actually rifled and shot very well. He swears it wil keyhole. i've got the targets to prove him wrong. He's a bit of a "I know more about guns than you'll ever know" type.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I Love my CZ-82 and I carry it during the fall and winter months. I find it to be very comfortable in my hand, easy to shoot, and a breeze to field strip and clean. You can't go wrong getting one of these "solid" performers.

Good Luck and stay Safe!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You'll be surprised when you look through the barrel--looks like a smoothbore. I couldn't convince the local gunsmith that it was actually rifled and shot very well. He swears it wil keyhole. i've got the targets to prove him wrong. He's a bit of a "I know more about guns than you'll ever know" type.
    I don't know if I would trust a "smith" that has never heard of polygonal rifling, and is not familar with the CZ82, or polygonal barrel guns by Glock, Kahr and HK. Maybe he needs some refresher courses, cause he sounds "clueless".
    Last edited by pirate; June 5th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have one and can echo all that has been said. A wonderful, heavy, inexpensive, durable, accurate handgun.
    I usually order ammo after I consult this site, enter your zip code to get shipping costs.
    gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links