Help with picking in the KAHR CW Series

This is a discussion on Help with picking in the KAHR CW Series within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the forum and new to concealed carry. I have been carrying a S&W Sigma 9MM, which I love, and works great, ...

I am new to the forum and new to concealed carry. I have been carrying a S&W Sigma 9MM, which I love, and works great, but I have been looking for something a bit more concealable for the summer months. I have decided on the KAHR CW series. Now my only question is...which one??? Although I like the 9MM round, I am considering the .40 or even the .45. Has anyone tried more than one of the three of the CW series that might be able to give some insight as to pro's and cons of each Caliber (recoil, weight, dependability of a certain caliber).
    I have noticed alot of people carry the CW9...any particular reason for that?
    Any help would be appreciated....Sandman

NEVERMIND...found another thread that answered the questions...
    Last edited by sandman1212; June 3rd, 2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: I didn'took before I wrote

CW9

Let me say my CW9 has more than 500 rounds and is a great carry pistol.

I like the 9mm because I handle the recoil better than .45 or .40 caliber. In fact to me the .40 has more muzzle flip than .45. Lighter pistols will have more felt recoil.

I added a Hogue Hand All Jr. slip on grip. I did that because the grips on the CW and P Kahr pistols are too abrasive for me to shoot a 100+ round range session. The slip on really makes a comfortable shooting pistol for my CW9. I have shot the CW9 with and without the slip on and discovered that in addition to saving my hand it improves my overall grip of the pistol.

Shoot several models if you can before making a choice. Good luck in you quest and welcome to the forum.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had a CW9 and it was light, and 100% reliable; I just had a problem wherein my trigger finger kept getting pinched between the trigger and frame when I fired it. ~ Every time I went to the range, I ended up with a blister on the top of my first knuckle of my trigger finger. I posted this on several forums, and the problem seems unique to me. I ended up selling it.

Because it is so light, I think the 40 and 45 would be a handful. I have several 9mm guns, and the CW9 handled recoil the least out of all of them, although manageable.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have over 1000 rounds through my CW9 and it is great. Light and easy to carry. Low felt recoil. Just a good all around pistol. I have shot the CW45 and it is about the same as my G36. Not a bad pistol but it is a .45 and a bit larger than the CW9. I hear the .40 has a lot of flip to it. Even more than the .45. You can't go wrong with which ever one you choose but I suspect Kahr sells more of the CW9's than any thing else.
    Don't be put off by the 9mm. There are a lot of different and better rounds for the 9mm. than there used to be. It ain't a .45 but the ammo today is very good. The Speer Gold Dot and the Hornady CD ammo are probably tops on most everyone's list right now.

I have the CW9 and carry Speer 124Gr. +P Gold Dots. Couldn't be happier with the gun or the loads. Also, I have re-chambered the Gold Dots many times and have not suffered any bullet setback. I don't care for the S&W .40 load so it wasn't an issue for me. If I went to a .45 I would probably choose another firearm more to my liking in this caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman1212 View Post
    I am new to the forum and new to concealed carry.
    First, welcome to the forum. You say you are new to concealed carry and I'll assume fairly new to handgun shooting? If that is the case (and even if it isn't), I would say 9mm. Anything more in a gun this size/weight can be quite a handful.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own a Kahr CW40 along with a PM9. Both are great handguns. The CW40 as a compact .40 has stout recoil but IMO very managable and controlable.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Go ahead and flame me, but I rented a CW9 and shot 50 rnds through it. I did not like it at all... thought it was "harsh" ( for comparison my benchmark is an XD40 Service and an XD40SC). After that experience I wouldn't even consider a CW40. I did purchase a Taurus 709 Slim and it shoots like a dream compared to the CW9... also has a much better trigger. The 709 has a reputation for being hit or miss, but mine has performed great except for when I broke the extractor by hand feeding a round (Taurus sent me a new one).
    Lifetime NRA member.

Thanks for all the replys...and welcomes! I bought the CW9 today after much deliberation on the matter. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful partnership, although I will try one in 45 one of these days...

Quote Originally Posted by sandman1212 View Post
    Thanks for all the replys...and welcomes! I bought the CW9 today after much deliberation on the matter. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful partnership, although I will try one in 45 one of these days...
    You will, I guarantee it. I carried a CW9 for 1 1/2 years before being seduced by a PM45. It is now my daily carry. I have eight active pistols including SIG's, S&W's, a SA, and Kahrs. If for some reason I was forced to sell them, the CW9 and PM45 would be the last to go.

Quote Originally Posted by XDOwner View Post
    Go ahead and flame me, but I rented a CW9 and shot 50 rnds through it. I did not like it at all... thought it was "harsh" ( for comparison my benchmark is an XD40 Service and an XD40SC). After that experience I wouldn't even consider a CW40. I did purchase a Taurus 709 Slim and it shoots like a dream compared to the CW9... also has a much better trigger. The 709 has a reputation for being hit or miss, but mine has performed great except for when I broke the extractor by hand feeding a round (Taurus sent me a new one).
    No flame, but I do disagree, at least from my experience. I had a Slim, but it had multiple failures, and after a trip to Miami, it was no better. [I later got bitten by a PT745, but that's another story] I have had three tauruses, and two were bad. My 24/7 c 45 has been fine.

After selling the 709, I bought a CW9 and later a PM45. They have been flawless, and are not at all difficult to master. I have avoided the Kahr 40's for the reason you mentioned, but in fairness, haven't tried one.

As for the two CS operations, both of my Tauruses were in Miami for about 6 weeks, and both came back with basically the same problems. Contrast that to Kahr. I bought my PM45 lightly used. I had a minor cosmetic problem with the PM45, but it was fully functional. I called Kahr to buy the offending part, but they said they would pick it up and repair it for free. They replaced the slide, which had the scratch, replaced the recoil assy, polished the ramp, and tested the gun, all under warranty, even though they knew it was bought used. They had it back in my hands in FIVE days.

Links