Bersa Thunder .380/safety on or off?

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder .380/safety on or off? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am carrying my Bersa Thunder .380 and have been having trouble drawing and disengaging the safety in a smooth action. I have been considering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am carrying my Bersa Thunder .380 and have been having trouble drawing and disengaging the safety in a smooth action. I have been considering carrying with the safety off and the hammer in the half cock position since the fist shot is double action. Do any of you out there do this?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Practice, Grasshopper!
    And the quickdraw shootout was only in the western movies. Just get "proficient."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

IMHO - if you carry a pistol with a manual safety, you must practice sweeping the safety to "fire" even if you carry it with the safety lever already set to "fire." You do not want to "assume" that the safety is on "fire" at a critical moment, only to find that it somehow got bumped to "safe."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I see no reason to carry the thunder with the safety on. It has a looong DA first trigger pull like the 3rd gen smith auto's which are almost always carried with the safety off.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I usually carry mine with the safety on. I also keep the safety on when I carry my 24/7. I just try to practice enough to make the draw and safety release, "ONE" fluid motion.

BTW;
    I really don't feel it is necessary to carry a Bersa with the safety on. But if that makes you feel more comfortable, then by all means do NOT let anyone fault you for it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    IMHO - if you carry a pistol with a manual safety, you must practice sweeping the safety to "fire" even if you carry it with the safety lever already set to "fire." You do not want to "assume" that the safety is on "fire" at a critical moment, only to find that it somehow got bumped to "safe."
    agreed..although a da trigger is an invitation to carry safety off the last thing you need under pressure is a safety that was inadvertantly left on or accidentally engaged while holstered (could happen)...tha could be the last bad thought that goes through your mind when you need the gun the most...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think that safety requires a good bit of small motor skill which, in a SD situation, will run away and hide. De-cock it and then leave the safety off for carry. The long DA trigger is safety enough that it will not go off if properly holstered!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

For my PPK if I'm pocket carrying it, I have the safety on just for good measure. If it's holstered on my hip IWB or out I have it off.

Not so sure I'd let your Bersa ride in the half cocked position. Good luck
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have a thunder 380 and I keep it chambered with safety on. While drawing from the holster my thumb moves the safety up and into the fire position.

One of the biggest reasons I chose this gun was for how it fit my hand and how the safety is lined up with where my thumb rests when firing. The placement practically forces my thumb to push it out of the way.

I carry my Bersa Thunder 9 UC chambered, de-cocked, safety off. It's the 9mm version of your gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I see no reason to carry the thunder with the safety on. It has a looong DA first trigger pull like the 3rd gen smith auto's which are almost always carried with the safety off.
    Bingo.

In addition, some Bersa .380s have an EXTREMELY stiff decocker, far too stiff to rely on flicking it off during a draw situation.

A quote from michaelt, a Bersa guru, at bersatalk: "If you carry with decocker on, you lose in a SD situation."

As far as carrying it half-cock, I don't know. I have a friend who carries his Bersa .380 this way, but I'd have to do some research before I had an opinion on carrying this particular gun half-cock.

But I'd carry your decocker off, or I'd find a different gun to carry. I have handled a number of Bersa .380s, and some of them have the stiffest decockers I've ever felt.

Stiff Bersa .380 decocker: no way would I carry with it on.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    For my PPK if I'm pocket carrying it, I have the safety on just for good measure. If it's holstered on my hip IWB or out I have it off.

Not so sure I'd let your Bersa ride in the half cocked position. Good luck
    I would think that if the gun is on your hip, you would have the safety on instead of the other way around. I have a safety on my M&P full size just in case of a gun grab and I lose the gun. By the time the guy figure out how to work the gun, I hope I would already have my BUG out and working for me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I carry mine with the safety off.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Agreed 100% One in the pipe, safety off, hammer down. First round long double action. Safe to carry.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Bingo.

In addition, some Bersa .380s have an EXTREMELY stiff decocker, far too stiff to rely on flicking it off during a draw situation.

A quote from michaelt, a Bersa guru, at bersatalk: "If you carry with decocker on, you lose in a SD situation."

As far as carrying it half-cock, I don't know. I have a friend who carries his Bersa .380 this way, but I'd have to do some research before I had an opinion on carrying this particular gun half-cock.

But I'd carry your decocker off, or I'd find a different gun to carry. I have handled a number of Bersa .380s, and some of them have the stiffest decockers I've ever felt.

Stiff Bersa .380 decocker: no way would I carry with it on.
    My wife's safety is WAY too stiff to carry on. She can't flick it off after lots of practice and neither can I in an easy motion. We carry safety off when we carry it.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links