Reliable 22 pistol

This is a discussion on Reliable 22 pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my girlfriend to the gun range for the first time today, and it was her first time firing a pistol. She's shot my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reliable 22 pistol

Reliable 22 pistol

I took my girlfriend to the gun range for the first time today, and it was her first time firing a pistol. She's shot my 77/22 a good bit but never a pistol until today. I started her with my Browning Buckmark and let her get the hang of it, then let her try my M&P9C. She loved the Browning and didn't care for the 9mm at all. I've promised to buy her a nightstand pistol for her birthday coming up, along with a women-only class at the local range. She's dead set on getting a 22lr after today, and unfortunately I can't really sway her, and don't want to get her something she's scared of using if she needs to. I figure that for now a 22 is better than nothing, and will hopefully make her confident enough to try a more powerful weapon as she becomes more comfortable.

As I said, she liked the Buckmark, but said she would prefer something smaller and lighter. I know some of the smaller 22's on the market have reliability issues, I'm just looking for ideas on what I should look into for her (it will ultimately be her decision, but since I'm footing the bill, I won't get her anything that will give her issues)

The only small 22 I can think of offhand is the Walther P22, has anyone had any experience with this gun or others of similar size? Thanks guys

2. Remove Ads

I might be getting a SIG Mosquito in the next day or so.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I am assuming the class she is about to take is a prelude to her getting a carry permit. So, I would recommend a 2" snubbie revolver in .22 cal such as a S&W or Taurus. They are small and easy to operate, as well as being reliable.

Alternately, you might try to rent a .32 such as a Beretta Tomcat. A little more power, and almost no recoil. But, ammo might be scarce.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have used three different P22's. Two of them had problems with the safety engaging randomly after every two or three shots. The other performed flawlessly. So, I don't know what to think. Haven't created a opinion just stating my experience.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I have a Walther and have put thousands of round through it without a problem but I have seen on boards were some have but I love mine. It will eat everything I put through it. Hope this helps.

I have a Ruger 22/45, and used to have a MKII.....they are the most reliable bar none...but big...so my step son has a SIG Mosquito...he loves it, but it jams a lot....a lot of FTE with all kinds of ammo...and others have the same issues....just got a Walther P22 to try and although only 250 rounds, it hasnt jammed once (used 3 different types of ammo)....it feels great in the hand....

For me, the best 22 is the Ruger...but for size, I like the Walther so far.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Try out a 380

The class would actually just be a basic pistol class, so that she can become more comfortable with her pistol while getting instruction from another female. The Mosquito is an idea I hadn't thought of, I might have her look at that along with the P22 and some of the smaller revolvers as well

jgilbert and aedinius

If either of you get Gun tests magazine/newsletter, they have an article on both the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito in the May issue. If you put any value in what they have to say, they liked the P22 quite a bit giving it an A grade and the Sig Mosquito an F. They didn't like the trigger pull on the Sig, said it went over the 12# limit on their gauge in DA and 6.9# SA. Then they had a pre-detonation with the breach open and several FTF/FTE. I like Sig guns a lot! That was disappointing to hear.
    I have heard good things about the Browning Buckmark and wouldn't recommend the Ruger MK3, I have one and it is still not right after being back to the factory 2 times. Several others (7) at my club also have MK3's and only one of them has NOT had to send his back to Ruger. Search the web for reviews on MK3's...not good. The MK2's and earlier were more reliable and you can't hardly find a negative review on them.
    Good job on getting the GF into shooting! And good luck to the both of you in finding the right .22 pistols.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

The Bersa Thunder .380 is a good, smooth, low recoil semi-automatic pistol and it is a better defensive round than 22. All of the ladies that shoot my buddy's Bersa Thunder .380 really like it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Never had a semi-auto 22 that wasn't a jamomatic..long gun or handgun.
    Maybe they're better today. If so, I'd like to know.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I'm still trying to gently nudge her towards a 380 but as of right now it's not working, hopefully I'll be able to get through to her before the big day arrives. I'd prefer her to get the 380 for the added punch, plus I could use it as a BUG/deep concealment when we're going out from her place. I'll keep working on her, but the Walther looks like the most promising right now

Rimfire ammo is notorious for having lots of duds. I'd go with a revolver in this cartridge. If you get a dud, just pull the trigger again.

If it's only for home defense, you can get a nice 9 or 10-shot .22 revolver for her. Zero recoil.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Before you plunk down any dollars, I'd see if you can borrow a full-size .38 (S+W K-frame, Ruger Security Six, etc) and have her shoot some standard .38 rounds with it... no +Ps. It might be that the slide action on your 9mm is the daunting part, rather than the recoil itself.

A friend who has conducted several pistol permit classes for women in CT starts them out with .22s to get them used to something going bang in their hands. They move up through heavier calibers at their own pace. By the time the class is over, he observes that nearly all the women prefer the bigger-bore guns.

But if she's the most comfortable with the .22, then she's better off with that on the nightstand than the big boomer she fears. Ten rounds of .22 LR at bedroom distances will give most attackers at least a reason for pause. I would avoid real tiny guns like the tip-barrel Beretta and Taurus... how about a short-barrel, fixed-sight Ruger MkII-III or a Buckmark? Over time you can work with her to appreciate the bigger bores.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

How about a Buck Mark Micro?
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links