HK vs. Kimber

HK vs. Kimber

This is a discussion on HK vs. Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey! So I am brand new to this forum. I am looking into buying my first CCW. I have done some research online and I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HK vs. Kimber

HK vs. Kimber

Hey! So I am brand new to this forum. I am looking into buying my first CCW. I have done some research online and I have narrowed my options to two. I am looking into getting the HK P2000SK or the Kimber Ultra Carry II. I am aware they are very different (its like comparing apples to oranges); the kimber 1911 style and the HK more modern. I can’t decide which one to go with. I have come up with some pro’s and con’s for each one…here is what I came up with:

HP2000SK:
    Pros:
    DA/SA
    9 round magazine (40S&W)
    Easily field strips (no tools required)

Cons:
    A little bulkier (compared to Kimber Ultra Carry II)
    More expensive
    The gun is a tad bid too small for my hands (negligible)

Kimber Ultra Carry II:
    Pros:
    Slimmer design
    A little cheaper (compared to HKP2000SK)
    Smaller than the HK

Cons:
    Only 7 round magazine (45ACP)
    Only SA
    Requires a tool to field strip

These are just some pros and cons off of the top of my head.I know there are more.

I would value anyone’s input. If you have a pro/con to add please do. If anyone owns one of them please tell me about your experience. I appreciate all your help. Thanks!!!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Victoria, B.C.

For what it's worth, I carry an HK P7. IMHO it's the ultimate carry piece.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

First, welcome to the forum.

Second; you should not list SA as a con for the Kimber.

Third; the difference between 7 rounds and 9 rounds is negligible.

Depending on your shooting experience, you're going to notice a significant difference between the two trigger actions, and should experience them before you buy.

The Kimber is going to be more concealable.

The H&K is going to hold it's value better and may be more reliable.

The above info is worth less than $.02
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

i wouldnt worry too much about the field striping. they are both very nice firearms. A couple years ago i would have said go with the Kimber. No that i have a P30 I would say go with the HK. they are not nearly as finicky as the 1911 and you have a higher capacity. I really think you would be happy with either.

@zacii Thanks for your input. Yeah your right 7 v. 9 is negligible. Regarding the SA for the Kimber, I thought it was a con because if the gun is SA only doesn't that mean it should be carried cocked and locked?

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    i wouldnt worry too much about the field striping. they are both very nice firearms. A couple years ago i would have said go with the Kimber. No that i have a P30 I would say go with the HK. they are not nearly as finicky as the 1911 and you have a higher capacity. I really think you would be happy with either.
    What do you mean by finicky? If you could elaborate I would appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DTheater512 View Post
    @zacii Thanks for your input. Yeah your right 7 v. 9 is negligible. Regarding the SA for the Kimber, I thought it was a con because if the gun is SA only doesn't that mean it should be carried cocked and locked?
    Yes, that's the design of the 1911 platform. It's perfectly safe and acceptable.

OMO, but it's way easier to touch off the safety of a 1911, than to manipulate the long trigger pull of a DA/SA. But that's subjective, too.

Here's some excellent research material on the 1911 platform, written by JD, one of the moderators here.

The H&K pistols are excellent. Some models give you the option of SA or DA/SA.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yes, that's the design of the 1911 platform. It's perfectly safe and acceptable.

OMO, but it's way easier to touch off the safety of a 1911, than to manipulate the long trigger pull of a DA/SA. But that's subjective, too.
    very true...good point. never thought of it that way. Thanks

What i mean is that some are a little picky about the ammo they are fed. I am not bashing them but they also have suffered some quality problems over the last few years. from everything i have heard they have been tended to. the good thing is that their customer service is very good if you ever do have a problem and they are American made. Again I'm not throwing rocks Kimbers are great guns, I just think that when the poop hits the fan i will take a few more rounds and a less picky gun.

Here's some excellent research material on the 1911 platform, written by JD, one of the moderators here.

The H&K pistols are excellent. Some models give you the option of SA or DA/SA.
    this is true if you have someone that practices, if not you have someone just standing there sqweezing the heck out of it wondering why it wont go bang. It takes more work that most are willing to put forth. Not the guns fault. Again, i love 1911's i just dont think that they are not always the best first EDC for all people.

GM
    I am sorry, but I think that your Pro/Cons list is not really right:

- If you get a SA pistol it is because you like them, and then DS/SA trigger is on the Cons side and not on the Pros. For the same reason I think that it is wrong when you say that the Kimber is “only” SA.
    - If a 7 rounds mag (+1) is not enough then you are in big trouble, and I do not think that 2 more rounds will help you a lot.
    - Unless you need to field strip the pistol when you are in a life-threatening situation it does not really matter if you need a tool to field strip the gun. BTW, I do not own a Kimber, but my 1911´s do not need tools to field strip; I just use the mag and my fingers.
    - The 1911 will be easier to conceal.
    - Finally, when you say that the HK is more modern it does not really make sense. Like you said before, you cannot compare apples to oranges.

I think that the most important is that you first decide if you want to have a SA or a DA/SA pistol. Until that you better do not get any of them, otherwise you just might just waste money. Good luck
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I am sorry, but I think that your Pro/Cons list is not really right:

- If you get a SA pistol it is because you like them, and then DS/SA trigger is on the Cons side and not on the Pros. For the same reason I think that it is wrong when you say that the Kimber is “only” SA.
    - If a 7 rounds mag (+1) is not enough then you are in big trouble, and I do not think that 2 more rounds will help you a lot.
    - Unless you need to field strip the pistol when you are in a life-threatening situation it does not really matter if you need a tool to field strip the gun. BTW, I do not own a Kimber, but my 1911´s do not need tools to field strip; I just use the mag and my fingers.
    - The 1911 will be easier to conceal.
    - Finally, when you say that the HK is more modern it does not really make sense. Like you said before, you cannot compare apples to oranges.

I think that the most important is that you first decide if you want to have a SA or a DA/SA. Until that you better do not get any of them, otherwise you just might just waste money. Good luck
    This is good advice.

My first carry gun was a Ruger P95. It was an excellent gun, but I found that the DA/SA wasn't my cup of tea.

I got rid of that and acquired a 1911. Wow. I just love single action. I never knew what I was missing.

You can't really compare these two platforms, at least not in this fashion. You need to decide what platform you want, then go shopping.

GM
    This is good advice.

My first carry gun was a Ruger P95. It was an excellent gun, but I found that the DA/SA wasn't my cup of tea.

I got rid of that and acquired a 1911. Wow. I just love single action. I never knew what I was missing.

You can't really compare these two platforms, at least not in this fashion. You need to decide what platform you want, then go shopping.
    I know exactly what you mean
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Lead Moderator
    HK mags are more expensive. HK is known for reliable feeding . The HK finish is more durable. Bottom line get what you think will work best for you .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Welcome from Victoria, B.C.

For what it's worth, I carry an HK P7. IMHO it's the ultimate carry piece.
    Well, IMO, he's right.
    Same single action pull, pull after pull....and you'll never worry about taking the safety off, no matter the stress.

I think either would be a good choice. The HK might have a greater % of reliability and will eat anything you put in it, though that doesn't mean necessarily you'll have problem with the Kimber.

Try to shoot both before you buy and pick the one that you like the most.

Last edited by P7fanatic; June 4th, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links