Springfield XD

This is a discussion on Springfield XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was told today by a police range officer that he contacted Springfield and was told that the XD 45 was NOT rated for +P 45's. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD

Springfield XD

Was told today by a police range officer that he contacted Springfield and was told that the XD 45 was NOT rated for +P 45's. Is that straight info. Was considering getting and XD but not if this is true.
    Thanks
    OC

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    That is an absolute lie. Springfield has, on numerous occasions, said that all of their XD lines are rated for +P ammo except the subcompact models which they suggested not to use +P ammo due to the short cycle of the shorter slide length. Almost all modern handguns are rated for +P.

I have fired several boxes of +P Federal HST rounds through my XD45acp Service model without a hiccup.

I have read many an email posted on this exact subject and every one stated that XD's are safe for +P.

Here is one email I captured:

"Due to the fact that our entire line of XD pistols features fully supported and ramped barrels, using +P and +P+ ammunition will not damage your gun. However, we do recommend that you make sure the ammunition is American made and is in new condition. Due to the increased power of +P and +P+ ammunition, the cycling of your XD may be affected by this different ammunition. If you are planning to use +P or +P+, we recommend that you fire it extensively at the range before relying on it for concealed carry or self defense. It is important to ensure that it will run reliably in your XD. Although +P or +P+ ammunition will not damage your XD, a steady diet of this higher power ammo may decrease the service life of the barrel and/or firearm."

John D Moe
    Springfield Armory
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I'm using +p in my xd9sc...should I not be?
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Thanks, Tally, for the well researched answer. It's important that rumors and mis-informtaion of this nature are dispatched quickly.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Here is one email I captured:

"Due to the fact that our entire line of XD pistols features fully supported and ramped barrels, using +P and +P+ ammunition will not damage your gun. However, we do recommend that you make sure the ammunition is American made and is in new condition. Due to the increased power of +P and +P+ ammunition, the cycling of your XD may be affected by this different ammunition. If you are planning to use +P or +P+, we recommend that you fire it extensively at the range before relying on it for concealed carry or self defense. It is important to ensure that it will run reliably in your XD. Although +P or +P+ ammunition will not damage your XD, a steady diet of this higher power ammo may decrease the service life of the barrel and/or firearm."

John D Moe
    Springfield Armory

YEP, I was asking them about NATO 9 mm +P+ in an XD-SC.... and that is exactly the response they gave me, except they said std or + P is fine, but on +P+ it may decrease the service life if it is used a lot . We talked about what "a lot" meant. Their comment was , they wouldn't expect any extra wear with less than 2000 - 3000 rounds.

I have NO CLUE on .45 cal + P, but you could / should ask Springfield.

Sorry, but I'm not one to 'trust' some comment by someone I don't know (range officer or not) .... unless I hear it from the horses mouth myself.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkCharlie View Post
    Was told today by a police range officer that he contacted Springfield and was told that the XD 45 was NOT rated for +P 45's. Is that straight info. Was considering getting and XD but not if this is true.
    Thanks
    OC
    He's sounds like just another know it all, who knows nothing apparently. Being a Police officer or range officer really means nothing. I fully support law enforcement but I have found most LEO are not really "gun people". Just carrying a gun as part of your job does not make you an expert.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I got +p ammo for mine, shot off a few rounds and nothing happened. virtually no change in recoil either.

Thanks Tally for you research. Funny thing is this range officer is a sure enough gun guy and very supportive of Gun rights. A long time friend and very knowledgeable. I believe what he was told, I just suspect he go some one at Springfield that did not know and did not want to take a chance. "NO" is always a proper answer to some people.
    OC

GM
    Sometimes believing what police range officers say is about the same that believing what sellers say
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    It the load 147gr?? nato 9mm?? you should be ok,but IMHO i would use a PP round Pdx1 winchester,gold dots,corbon...115gr or 124gr..
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkCharlie View Post
    Thanks
    OC
    IMHO having a XDm 40 i wouldn't go any higher than 230gr for your XD45..
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    IMHO having a XDm 40 i wouldn't go any higher than 230gr for your XD45..
    They make something more than 230gr?

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    They make something more than 230gr?
    From what i heard is that some that load there own rounds are using a custom grain..One guy is shooting 240gr,245gr, now i'm not in the lease knowing what thats doing to barrel,but it seems to be odd to shoot 45acp over the 230gr range..I guess he likes a really big bang!
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    It the load 147gr?? nato 9mm?? you should be ok,but IMHO i would use a PP round Pdx1 winchester,gold dots,corbon...115gr or 124gr..
    They are 124gr. PDX1 Winchester +P.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post

The only reason it was not recommended is due to the short cycle length of the shorter slide of the sub compact. Higher pressure ammunition slams the slide around a lot more than standard pressure ammo and can/may shorten the overall life of the gun. Subcompact handguns have a shorter and more abrupt slide cycle and can be more sensitive to higher pressure ammo. Some misfeeds could also occur due to the harsher action of the slide.

This would take many thousands of rounds to do though. I personally would not suggest shooting +p for any reason other than testing proofing ammunition for self defense.

Shooting +P for any other reason is just silly anyway.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links