Ahrends grips on a J-Frame?

Ahrends grips on a J-Frame?

This is a discussion on Ahrends grips on a J-Frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody using Kim Ahrends grips on a j-frame? How do they compare to Hogue and others? I am thinking about a set for my 640-1 ...

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ahrends grips on a J-Frame?

  1. #1
    Member Array southarkrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texarkana, Arkansas
    Posts
    453

    Ahrends grips on a J-Frame?

    Anybody using Kim Ahrends grips on a j-frame? How do they compare to Hogue and others? I am thinking about a set for my 640-1 357 magnum. Thanks Robbie


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array wjh2657's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,168
    I assume you are referring to putting wood grips on a carry piece. I have a large drawer in my shop filled with expensive wood and faux stag grips that I have purchased for my J-Frames. After dropping my 637 twice and dingng it while trying to transfer it from my pocket to my trunk safe, I ended up going back to the S&W rubber grips. I have the boot grips on the 637 and 317 and the "extended" grips (Standard) on the 60,640, and 642. When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun. I have often wondered what would have occured if I would have tried to "fast draw" that 637 from my pocket in an actual fight with wet hands. I probably would have lost the gun.
    I may put the wood grips on for "BBQs" but they will sport rubber when I am EDCing. Just my experience.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array ICTsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I assume you are referring to putting wood grips on a carry piece. I have a large drawer in my shop filled with expensive wood and faux stag grips that I have purchased for my J-Frames. After dropping my 637 twice and dingng it while trying to transfer it from my pocket to my trunk safe, I ended up going back to the S&W rubber grips. I have the boot grips on the 637 and 317 and the "extended" grips (Standard) on the 60,640, and 642. When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun. I have often wondered what would have occured if I would have tried to "fast draw" that 637 from my pocket in an actual fight with wet hands. I probably would have lost the gun.
    I may put the wood grips on for "BBQs" but they will sport rubber when I am EDCing. Just my experience.

    Oh, bother. I just spent a hundred to order wood grips and a Tyler T for my 640. Got any room in your drawer?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

  4. #4
    Member Array JAguirre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun.

    I agree 100%, I just wish the ugly black grips covered the backstrap!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array GlockJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    801
    I have a beautiful set of wooden grips for my S&W 637. Guess where they are, yep, in the drawer just like wjh2657!!

    Those black ugly grips start looking like gold when you have to get a good purchase on that little bad boy!!!

    And there is a set of grips(from S&W I believe) that cover the back strap. The down side to them is they make the gun a little chunkier in the grip.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

    "Protect yourself at all times."

    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array DIABLO9489's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    I have a beautiful set of wooden grips for my S&W 637. Guess where they are, yep, in the drawer just like wjh2657!!

    Those black ugly grips start looking like gold when you have to get a good purchase on that little bad boy!!!
    Same here. Bought a nice set for my 638 but removed them after about a week
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array wjh2657's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by JAguirre View Post
    I agree 100%, I just wish the ugly black grips covered the backstrap!
    Both guns below have S&W grips. The 642 has what I call the "extended" grips and the 637 has the boot grips. I EDC the 642, but all of my slacks and jeans have extended and reinforced pockets so the longer grip hides well. Notice that this grip does cover the backstrap. The 637 is my shorts and bathrobe gun so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible. I have the same grips on my 317 so I do fire with the smaller grips daily.

    The 637 is my "around the house" gun and the 642 is my "go to town" gun!

    The 642 with the longer grips is easier to shoot, but the boot grips are manageable as I only use standard pressure Hornady 125 gr XTPs in my snubbies.

    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array Mardet65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio vicinity
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I assume you are referring to putting wood grips on a carry piece. I have a large drawer in my shop filled with expensive wood and faux stag grips that I have purchased for my J-Frames. After dropping my 637 twice and dingng it while trying to transfer it from my pocket to my trunk safe, I ended up going back to the S&W rubber grips. I have the boot grips on the 637 and 317 and the "extended" grips (Standard) on the 60,640, and 642. When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun. I have often wondered what would have occured if I would have tried to "fast draw" that 637 from my pocket in an actual fight with wet hands. I probably would have lost the gun.
    I may put the wood grips on for "BBQs" but they will sport rubber when I am EDCing. Just my experience.
    On the other hand, I carried an S&W model 38 with wooden grips for about 8 years on duty and off in all kinds of weather conditions and various situations with no difficulty what-so-ever. You are correct, Just our personal experiences. To each their own.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

  9. #9
    Member Array southarkrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texarkana, Arkansas
    Posts
    453
    J-frame isn't a pocket gun for me...not the 640 anyway..I have a LCR if I want to pocket carry one...I have found a nice El Paso holster and am thnking some new grips would make the package complete..

  10. #10
    Member Array JAguirre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Both guns below have S&W grips. The 642 has what I call the "extended" grips and the 637 has the boot grips. I EDC the 642, but all of my slacks and jeans have extended and reinforced pockets so the longer grip hides well. Notice that this grip does cover the backstrap. The 637 is my shorts and bathrobe gun so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible. I have the same grips on my 317 so I do fire with the smaller grips daily.

    The 637 is my "around the house" gun and the 642 is my "go to town" gun!

    The 642 with the longer grips is easier to shoot, but the boot grips are manageable as I only use standard pressure Hornady 125 gr XTPs in my snubbies.

    Ive got the Hougue grips that cover the backstrap that look almost exactly like your "extended" grips, but Im looking for grips that are the same lenght and thickness as the stock boot grips, with the only difference being that there is rubber covering the backstrap too.

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Both guns below have S&W grips. The 642 has what I call the "extended" grips and the 637 has the boot grips. I EDC the 642, but all of my slacks and jeans have extended and reinforced pockets so the longer grip hides well. Notice that this grip does cover the backstrap. The 637 is my shorts and bathrobe gun so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible. I have the same grips on my 317 so I do fire with the smaller grips daily.

    The 637 is my "around the house" gun and the 642 is my "go to town" gun!

    The 642 with the longer grips is easier to shoot, but the boot grips are manageable as I only use standard pressure Hornady 125 gr XTPs in my snubbies.

    I absolutely hate those extended rubber grips that came on my 640 (see above left). The grater curvature of the grip pounds the nerve in my palm whereby the pain is horrid. I’m currently using the wooden grips from the Pro-60 and they are better, but not great. The Crimson Trace LG-305’s are the best ‘feeling’ grips in my hand although I haven’t shot with them. I would love to design a set of grips made from a combination of rubber and composite. Perhaps we should contact ‘Dr. Scholls’.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. J Frame & Hip Grips
    By semperfi.45 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 7th, 2007, 01:13 AM
  2. J Frame Grips
    By semperfi.45 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM
  3. D.E. Collins Grips for S&W K-frame RB...
    By Stephen A. Camp in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM

Search tags for this page

ahrends 642 grips
,

ahrends grips

,

ahrends grips for sale

,
ahrends grips j frame
,
ahrends j frame
,

ahrends j frame grips

,
j frame grips
,
j frame grips for sale
,
j frame grips with covered back
,
j frame stag grips
,
j frame wood grips for sale
,
stag j frame grip
Click on a term to search for related topics.