Ahrends grips on a J-Frame?

This is a discussion on Ahrends grips on a J-Frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody using Kim Ahrends grips on a j-frame? How do they compare to Hogue and others? I am thinking about a set for my 640-1 ...

Thread: Ahrends grips on a J-Frame?

Anybody using Kim Ahrends grips on a j-frame? How do they compare to Hogue and others? I am thinking about a set for my 640-1 357 magnum. Thanks Robbie

I assume you are referring to putting wood grips on a carry piece. I have a large drawer in my shop filled with expensive wood and faux stag grips that I have purchased for my J-Frames. After dropping my 637 twice and dingng it while trying to transfer it from my pocket to my trunk safe, I ended up going back to the S&W rubber grips. I have the boot grips on the 637 and 317 and the "extended" grips (Standard) on the 60,640, and 642. When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun. I have often wondered what would have occured if I would have tried to "fast draw" that 637 from my pocket in an actual fight with wet hands. I probably would have lost the gun.
    I may put the wood grips on for "BBQs" but they will sport rubber when I am EDCing. Just my experience.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I assume you are referring to putting wood grips on a carry piece. I have a large drawer in my shop filled with expensive wood and faux stag grips that I have purchased for my J-Frames. After dropping my 637 twice and dingng it while trying to transfer it from my pocket to my trunk safe, I ended up going back to the S&W rubber grips. I have the boot grips on the 637 and 317 and the "extended" grips (Standard) on the 60,640, and 642. When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun. I have often wondered what would have occured if I would have tried to "fast draw" that 637 from my pocket in an actual fight with wet hands. I probably would have lost the gun.
    I may put the wood grips on for "BBQs" but they will sport rubber when I am EDCing. Just my experience.

Oh, bother. I just spent a hundred to order wood grips and a Tyler T for my 640. Got any room in your drawer?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

When your hands are sweaty or wet from rain, you are suddenly reminded why the guns are issued with those ugly black grips. You can actually get a grip on the gun.

I agree 100%, I just wish the ugly black grips covered the backstrap!

I have a beautiful set of wooden grips for my S&W 637. Guess where they are, yep, in the drawer just like wjh2657!!

Those black ugly grips start looking like gold when you have to get a good purchase on that little bad boy!!!

And there is a set of grips(from S&W I believe) that cover the back strap. The down side to them is they make the gun a little chunkier in the grip.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    I have a beautiful set of wooden grips for my S&W 637. Guess where they are, yep, in the drawer just like wjh2657!!

Those black ugly grips start looking like gold when you have to get a good purchase on that little bad boy!!!
    Same here. Bought a nice set for my 638 but removed them after about a week
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by JAguirre View Post
    I agree 100%, I just wish the ugly black grips covered the backstrap!
    Both guns below have S&W grips. The 642 has what I call the "extended" grips and the 637 has the boot grips. I EDC the 642, but all of my slacks and jeans have extended and reinforced pockets so the longer grip hides well. Notice that this grip does cover the backstrap. The 637 is my shorts and bathrobe gun so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible. I have the same grips on my 317 so I do fire with the smaller grips daily.

The 637 is my "around the house" gun and the 642 is my "go to town" gun!

The 642 with the longer grips is easier to shoot, but the boot grips are manageable as I only use standard pressure Hornady 125 gr XTPs in my snubbies.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

On the other hand, I carried an S&W model 38 with wooden grips for about 8 years on duty and off in all kinds of weather conditions and various situations with no difficulty what-so-ever. You are correct, Just our personal experiences. To each their own.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

J-frame isn't a pocket gun for me...not the 640 anyway..I have a LCR if I want to pocket carry one...I have found a nice El Paso holster and am thnking some new grips would make the package complete..

Both guns below have S&W grips. The 642 has what I call the "extended" grips and the 637 has the boot grips. I EDC the 642, but all of my slacks and jeans have extended and reinforced pockets so the longer grip hides well. Notice that this grip does cover the backstrap. The 637 is my shorts and bathrobe gun so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible. I have the same grips on my 317 so I do fire with the smaller grips daily.

The 642 with the longer grips is easier to shoot, but the boot grips are manageable as I only use standard pressure Hornady 125 gr XTPs in my snubbies.

Ive got the Hougue grips that cover the backstrap that look almost exactly like your "extended" grips, but Im looking for grips that are the same lenght and thickness as the stock boot grips, with the only difference being that there is rubber covering the backstrap too.

VIP Member

I absolutely hate those extended rubber grips that came on my 640 (see above left). The grater curvature of the grip pounds the nerve in my palm whereby the pain is horrid. I’m currently using the wooden grips from the Pro-60 and they are better, but not great. The Crimson Trace LG-305’s are the best ‘feeling’ grips in my hand although I haven’t shot with them. I would love to design a set of grips made from a combination of rubber and composite. Perhaps we should contact ‘Dr. Scholls’.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Links