Infallible Humans and Safeties - Page 2

Infallible Humans and Safeties

This is a discussion on Infallible Humans and Safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; None of my handguns have an external safety...and they never will. My long guns, however, are another story. Yes, I've forgotten to take the safety ...

View Poll Results: If you have ever fired a gun with a safety have you ever forgotten to take it off?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course, I am human.

153 85.96%
  • Never, I have always trained on this step and will not permit myself to make this mistake.

20 11.24%
  • I have never fired a Rifle, Shotgun, or Pistol with a manual safety and I am not sure why I am responding to this poll.

5 2.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Infallible Humans and Safeties

None of my handguns have an external safety...and they never will.

My long guns, however, are another story. Yes, I've forgotten to take the safety off even while under virtually no stress while shooting from the bench. Under stress?...fuhgedaboudit...

The only handgun that needs a safety, IMHO, is a SA. Which is why I do not own nor desire any SA handgun. DAO for me - I prefer the consistent trigger pull versus the DA-to-SA transition of a DA/SA.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yes I have....and that is why I have SIGs....

When deployed, on convoys or dismounted, I carried my M9 in condition red, with the safety off.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I answered "NO" (which is true) however, early on when transitioning "forth & back" from SIG P220 to Colt 1911 I used to goof up under stress occasionally.
    It is years later now though...and I'm so ingrained and familiar with both formats that it no longer happens and that "whoops!" has not happened for many, many, moons.
    interesting...the question is "have you ever?"...and that seems to qualify you as you have...but you chose "no"...

i'll keep it simple..."yes"...

Quote Originally Posted by helodriver View Post
    The wording of your responses leaves something to be desired as it is too easy to see what side of the fence you are on - a simple Yes/No without any editorial comments would have been more effective. As I have only shot my handguns at a range (like 99% on all non-LEO handgun carriers) I have yet to pull the trigger without first switching off the safety - on the two handguns I have with external safeties. I hope to never find out how I will respond if I have to utilize one of those two handguns under duress. Those two are my nightstand guns, while my carries are all DAO.
    First you are better than me. I have forget the safety all the time on my 1911, Rifles and Shotgun. I forgot to start my truck after getting gas the other day and I wasn't in a hurry. My carries are a Glock, A Kahr and a Revolver for that reason.

Second, it depends on your definition of effective. This is an informal internet survey, that to this point has 3 posts for it doesn't apply to me and I acknowledge there is no reason for me to vote.

Lastly, this topic is a bit odd, in an of itself and I was trying to make a point with some humor. To me it is kind of like the motorcycle quotes...

"There are two kinds or riders those that have wrecked and those that haven't wrecked yet."

"If you ride long enough you will be killed on a motorcycle, the goal is to delay it long enough you die of old age first."

While learning to shoot trap in IL 25+ years ago, I was using a double barrel Savage Fox 12 gauge with a tang safety that goes on automatically. When taking my first practice shot in front of the group, I failed to remember to slide the safety off. Embarrassment can be a valuable learning tool.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I have tried to fire a rifle at a firing range with the safety on, it didn't go bang
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member
    My carry weapons (PM9, G22, P220) do not have safeties. Now, the long-guns in the house are a different story.

It's almost always an eye-opener for me. It reveals whether I'm anticipating the shot or not. Always causes me to tighten up, both with the shot and the steps leading to the shot.

AzB
    No, but I don't rely on safeties to be safe.

I did carry my .45 cocked and unlocked for a few hours once by accident. I usually carry decocked since it's DA.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBackerToo View Post
    My carry weapons (PM9, G22, P220) do not have safeties. Now, the long-guns in the house are a different story.

It's almost always an eye-opener for me. It reveals whether I'm anticipating the shot or not. Always causes me to tighten up, both with the shot and the steps leading to the shot.
    Same here. My carry guns are all decockers or DAO. My shotgun and plinker (Walther p22) have safeties and I sometimes forget to disengage them before trying to fire.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

VIP Member
    If the gun has a safety, I've forgotten to take it off. This is why my carries are either revolvers or Glocks (no stinkin safety ;-).

Honestly, for me it's impossible to burn in brain-dead muscle memory, given all the different types of safeties that there are on my handguns and rifles.

I'm not proud of this, but it is the truth.

VIP Member
    Absolutely! I think that anyone who states ‘no’ is living among politicians, or they just started handling pistols yesterday.

BTW: The thread question is quite specific "If you have ever fired a gun with a safety..."
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Yep, when I bought my first Kimber, I had not yet developed any muscle memory...I would forget about the safety. That did develop into an involuntary action after a while. Taking the manual safety off was done as the gun left the holster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Yep, with pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Like others, I choose only defensive handguns without external safeties, and if I'm forced to carry the M9, I carry it off-safe.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

los
    Yep. It's prolly as common as attempting to fire a weapon that has been completely discharged.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

OP - I just wanted to say "thanks" for putting up this poll. I think too many newer folks buy 1911s and other pistols with external safeties, thinking they will "never" forget to take the safety off.

The results so far are certainly eye opening.

For external-safety aficionados, I guess a companion survey would be "Has your handgun safety ever prevented a negligent discharge?"
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links