Infallible Humans and Safeties

This is a discussion on Infallible Humans and Safeties within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* If I might asked, when was this switch DA/DAO/Revolver, it must have been in the last several months? I actually am ...

View Poll Results: If you have ever fired a gun with a safety have you ever forgotten to take it off?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course, I am human.

153 85.96%
  • Never, I have always trained on this step and will not permit myself to make this mistake.

20 11.24%
  • I have never fired a Rifle, Shotgun, or Pistol with a manual safety and I am not sure why I am responding to this poll.

5 2.81%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Infallible Humans and Safeties

Full circle

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    If I might asked, when was this switch DA/DAO/Revolver, it must have been in the last several months?
    I actually am doing much less training now than I used to. I admit that some of my skills are degrading. I started way back in 84 on a K-Frame Model 65. I own and carry a variety of handguns, rifles and shotguns. I am a firm believer that for the average person the SAO is not the best choice. The first issue is the external safety which has to be deactivated and the second issue is a light trigger pull followed by another light trigger pull. I consider the SAO best suited in the hands of an experienced shooter who constantly trains with the weapon. Personally, I would run a 50 Rd min qual course every month if I were going to carry a SAO. I consider the 1911 to be an excellent gun, it's the nut behind the rear sight that usually fails.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Thank you Sir. I was just wondering, because a few months ago you'd posted about carrying a Hi-Power in your truck and keeping a 1911 under your bed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Actually I should have been more clear. In my case when transitioning to the SIG from the 1911 I would automatically go to "thumb off" the thumb safety that wasn't there on the 220.
    But, during my draw sequence I flick off the thumb safety as part of my presentation of the firearm out to the intended target so that automatic thumb movement never resulted in any lost time or resulted in any problems firing the SIG.
    I don't think that anybody that is extensively practiced with the 1911 typically "just forgets" to flick the thumb safety either off or back on again. It quickly gets to be a pretty ingrained habit.
    I mean I guess maybe I'm wrong on that count though looking at the above poll.
    And truthfully operating a 1911 is not like flying a plane.
    It's not like there are switches, dials, levers, buttons & controls all over the pistol.
    There is A Thumb Safety. It's not the space shuttle.
    Just my personal opinion that there is not a whole heckova lot to remember with regard to the proper operation of the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    interesting...the question is "have you ever?"...and that seems to qualify you as you have...but you chose "no"...

i'll keep it simple..."yes"...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    more often the safety is in a spot on the firearm that it gets click on by accident, then I go to shoot and it's on.

But like the "Ten commandments of gun safety" says:
    1) Treat every gun as if it were loaded!
    6) Never point your gun at anything you do not want to shoot.
    10)never mix alcohol and firearms!

then you should be in the clear.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

kpw
    I can't say I've forgotten it but I have missed it a few times. If you count grouse and pheasant hunting...more than a few.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Never with a 1911. Yes with 870 remingtom and a winchester 70.

I have with most of my 22s & shotties, If anyone been shootig 40+ years, I'd say it happend to them also ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Right on both counts

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Thank you Sir. I was just wondering, because a few months ago you'd posted about carrying a Hi-Power in your truck and keeping a 1911 under your bed.
    I don't EDC either one. I keep the Gold Cup 45 in a case under my bed cocked and locked. I also keep a Beretta 92 in a bedside drawer for the wife and an M&P 45 with a light just inside my bedroom closet. My Gold Cup is my last choice and I would go for it only if I was on the floor, knocked down or fallen probably. Bad guys have a bad habit of attacking people when they sleep I heard. I also have a home alarm system and we practice "what to
    do" in a break in.
    The BHP is in a lockable box inside my vehicle cocked and locked in a thumb break holster. I would prefer a long gun for vehicle carry but it's not practical now. The BHP is a back up to my normal EDC, a S&W M&P 340 revolver.
    I believe that when you need a weapon you need it RIGHT NOW and I also believe in redundant systems. If I listed all my weapons and where I keep them not only would I be foolish I would also probably bore you to death. If you walked into my home you would not see a gun in sight but the truth is there is nowwhere in my house that I am not within lunge distance of something that goes BANG!
    Last edited by RebelRabbi; June 7th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is A Thumb Safety. It's not the space shuttle. .
    Apperantly by the voting, it is rocket science.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links