Taurus 605 opinions?

Taurus 605 opinions?

This is a discussion on Taurus 605 opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it looks like I'll be buying one of these from a friend of mine (first gun, very excited!). Ive read good reviews but wanted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Taurus 605 opinions?

So it looks like I'll be buying one of these from a friend of mine (first gun, very excited!). Ive read good reviews but wanted some personal opinions if possible. I'd most likely be loading it with .38 because I'm not too comfortable shooting .357. It's basically new in box, as he bought it but hasn't put any rounds through it. Any help/insight would be very appreciated!

Senior Moderator
    I own one and have had zero problems with it after firing about 1500 rds through it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Trigger is a little stiff if you're going to do a lot of range time with it. Fairly accurate for a 2.5 in barrel. Relatively easy to conceal in pocket with pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by xdavex View Post
    So it looks like I'll be buying one of these from a friend of mine (first gun, very excited!). Ive read good reviews but wanted some personal opinions if possible. I'd most likely be loading it with .38 because I'm not too comfortable shooting .357. It's basically new in box, as he bought it but hasn't put any rounds through it. Any help/insight would be very appreciated!
    Mine's been good.

I am curious as to why your friend is parting with it. Im not a huge fan of Taurus myself, I had a Taurus 24/7. I frequent the Taurus forum from time to time, and the bad stories kinda outweighed the good. Thats why I havent got another.

Then there are the guyz who have had their 605's, 24/7's , 709's etc. for over 5k rounds without one hiccup.

Re: Taurus 605 opinions?

I think he's decided to get a subcompact auto, says he'd feel more comfortable with the bigger capacity. He got his hands on an XD40 sub at the range the other day and I think he fell in love, haha.

Bad Rap

I keep hearing people bash Taurus firearms. I never owned one but shot a few. I shot a Taurus 9mm auto and was putting it in the black with tight groups was impressed. Shot their 380 and was great no FTF. The 38 revolver might be worth the try. Go for it.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

I think he's decided to get a subcompact auto, says he'd feel more comfortable with the bigger capacity. He got his hands on an XD40 sub at the range the other day and I think he fell in love, haha.
    Ahhh, I see. Clean that factory goop off and sling a few downrange. Stay with the 38's til ya get more familiar then maybe kick it up to 357.

Yeah, I read that some Taurus guns come with a thick, oily coating on them...any idea what it is? He let me handle it yesterday and it didn't have it, so I assume he already cleaned it.

Also, does anyone know if they are rated for +p loads?

Also, does anyone know if they are rated for +p loads?
    If it can handle 357 Mag it will handle 38spl+p+
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Gotcha, wasn't quite sure so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I've had my 605 for over a year with several hundred rounds down range and it's been great. You will notice a stiff trigger at first but it will wear in with both live and dry fire. I own three or four Taurus handguns and other than a bad mag with my 24/7 Pro have had no problems with any of them.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

The 605 seams to be a diamond of their line. My father-in-law owned one and we shot lots of 357 through it and it held together great and handled the recoil well.

I would rather have it than a 85 any day.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The 605 seams to be a diamond of their line. My father-in-law owned one and we shot lots of 357 through it and it held together great and handled the recoil well.

I would rather have it than a 85 any day.
    +1. The Taurus 605 is the best thing they make (IMO). I've had one for years with zero problems.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links