Need some input.

This is a discussion on Need some input. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has a M&P45 that I got for her birth day. She dose not like the recoil of it. We were shooting .45 ACP, ...

Thread: Need some input.

Need some input.

My wife has a M&P45 that I got for her birth day. She dose not like the recoil of it. We were shooting .45 ACP, 230g FMJ. How ever she Loves my 1911 which is a Colt Commander SS.

I would like to stay around the same price as the M&P, but the new gun needs to have abut the same recoil as my .45. Any one have any ideas?

I was thinking of trading it for a M&P9. But I dont know if the recoil would be the same... IDK because i do not own/ have ever shoot a 9mm. common senses tells me that it would me less than a 45acp.
    I would like to find a range and have her shoot one but that is not an option hear in Alaska due to there not being a range that has rentals.

so I am asking ya'll for help. thanks

johnny

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The higher recoil is because of the lighter weight of the M&P. A 9mm M&P would have less recoil, but more than a steel frame 9mm handgun. That's just the nature of the beast: lighter weight pistol=more felt recoil. You can try a lighter bullet (185 grn or so), and that may feel more acceptable to her.

You shoot the M&P, give her the Colt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Get your wife a P220 in 45acp, sell the M&P, and get a Glock in 9mm just for fun. Recoil just isn't an average across the board for different pistols and different folks in any caliber. An all steel 1911 mitigates some of the felt recoil all on it's own because of the mass in the 45acp versus any polymer frame handgun, and on top of all that, it's in the design and engineering of any such pistol made to shoot the 45acp cartridge. Many times it's not as easy as you might think to coerce others into the shooting sports and find what works best for them. Reason being......you end up doing most of the thinking part for them and in terms of what you'd like to see in the outcome. The individual shooter knows what's best, and it can only come from their experience. There can be no caliber war or make and model of pistol war where this is concerned. For your better half, let her find her own way, and you'll have less time worrying about it. Give her the 1911 and that will give you an excuse to find your way into something else. Maybe after the M&P is sold? Give it all of your best efforts, but work smarter and not harder. Your end goal depends on someone else. Give that person room to breath, bread to eat, and water to drink, and the answer will soon be forthcoming. My best to you both.

Side note: Last year my wife and I did Steel Challenge with our club several times, and we both shot Glocks in 9mm. She has a Glock 26 for carry! IMO, she did very well as a novice at the matches with the 9mm. I've just got a year on her in the sport overall. Since she's shot my P220, she thinks she is more accurate, and willing to go from the 9mm to the 45acp, and single stack (8 round) magazines as opposed to double stack 15 round magazines because she is more accurate with the SIG, and likes the feel. I keep an open mind, and I'll let her make the decisions as to what works best for her. Meantime, I'll be reloading magazines for her a lot more than with the Glock this go 'round. I don't care, I just want to see her make her own road, and do well with what she's chosen. That puts a smile on my face, a blister on my thumb, and her into shooting the matches with me as opposed to staying home. I've got a lot of respect for her in what's she's chosen to do and given her all the ammo she needed to be sure. What more could you ask for? I'm going to have a fun day at the match tomorrow, and so is she. Heck...I'm still sticking to my 9mm while she's going into the major league on a whim this time. I'm proud of her, and I keep hoping she finds a way to best me in a sport I got her into. A smile is worth more than words. You'll find it one of these days....when you quit over-thinking things and let the tide flow.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    The Ruger P345, under $500, and the recoil is beautifully manageable, as it has a dual recoil spring. My wife loves to shoot it. Life time guarantee, great gun.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

My wife has a M&P 9c and she loves it. The recoil is very managable for her and she shoots it very well. I think your wife would like it. I hope this helps.

I have to agree to get a 9mm for her, i had my wife shoot 9mm and she did pretty good for the first time out with me...
    dont get me wrong .45 is very nice, 9mm using 115gr target would be smoove as butter....:)
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Ram Rod: Grate advice!! I am going to see if i can trade it for the M&P9, or a G17. I was also thinking about maybe trying a Taurus PT1911, I just dont know about the quality of a Taurus. Ill most likely go with the G17. But ill have her with me to make sure the gun fits her hand.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    Ram Rod: Grate advice!! I am going to see if i can trade it for the M&P9, or a G17. I was also thinking about maybe trying a Taurus PT1911, I just dont know about the quality of a Taurus. Ill most likely go with the G17. But ill have her with me to make sure the gun fits her hand.
    I would take an M&P9c for a female shooter over a G17 any day. Why go back twenty years in design? I also would run from a Taurus if possible.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Try a box of Winchester Silvertips before you trade the gun out. It's a peppy 185 grain load with a good track record on the street, but it has noticeably lower recoil than the 230 gr rounds. Winchester also makes 185 gr FMJ in their "White Box" line... good for practice, with just a little less snap than the Silvertips. Might be a cheaper solution than a new gun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I shoot & carry the Taurus 1911, it works well for me.

Take RamRod's advice, good stuff.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Fastest, cheapest, easiest answer: swap guns. Followup: trade your new M&P for what you want.

Harder and more expensive, but better answer: let her try everything around, and trade or throw cash at it (buy her the next choice) until she has for-reals what she wants.

In-between answer: play with different loads to see if that will make the difference, but be prepared to jump to one of the other answers if it doesn't. As I understand (others, please correct me if I'm wrong), you want practice ammo to be kindly enough so you'll do it, and you need enough experience with the hot stuff so you aren't completely taken by surprise by muzzle flash and recoil during battle. (This is why the 22 conversions are used: same ergonomics, and roughly free ammo.) Thus really light loads might do the trick for her practice time, but you could load her up with the heavy hitters for carrying.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

ill try letting her try some light loads, but the ones she is using now are light, 230 FMJ with just enough powder to cycle my 1911 (they are hand loads) I made them with 230g FMJ, 6.2gn of unique.

185 Grainers

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Try a box of Winchester Silvertips before you trade the gun out. It's a peppy 185 grain load with a good track record on the street, but it has noticeably lower recoil than the 230 gr rounds. Winchester also makes 185 gr FMJ in their "White Box" line... good for practice, with just a little less snap than the Silvertips. Might be a cheaper solution than a new gun!
    +1 on this. Some 185 gr. NON +P might fix your problem. Gold Dots also come in std pressure 185.

If none of the ranges nearby have rentals, maybe you can get some buddies together and try their guns before you buy something else?

Note - it would be good manners to at least pay for the ammo.

I would also suggest a lighter weight, non +P cartridge, before you start buying new guns.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    The Ruger P345, under $500, and the recoil is beautifully manageable, as it has a dual recoil spring. My wife loves to shoot it. Life time guarantee, great gun.
    +1 on the Ruger p345. I can't tell you enough how much I like this gun.
    I have owned and fired a few 45 ACP guns; the Ruger p345 is unequivocally my favorite.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Links