Any .32 H&R Fans Here?

Any .32 H&R Fans Here?

This is a discussion on Any .32 H&R Fans Here? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been teaching my wife to shoot a revolver. My .38 Chief and LCR are both a bit much for her even with light loads. ...

Thread: Any .32 H&R Fans Here?

Any .32 H&R Fans Here?

I've been teaching my wife to shoot a revolver. My .38 Chief and LCR are both a bit much for her even with light loads. I'm thinking a .32 HandR might be the answer....could use .32 Smith and Wesson or equivalent handloads for practice. I've considered one of the now discontinued lightweight J frames though I think a 3" model 31 would be preferable because of weight and sight radius...I've read that it's no big deal to bore these, which are chambered for .32 Smith and Wesson long, out to accept the H and R. Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

VIP Member
    You might want to look at something chambered in .327 Federal Mag. More potent than the old .32 H&R, but it will shoot any caliber that the .32
    H&R will. If the .327 is too much for her to start with, go with the .32 S&W and let her work her way up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ape
    One of my wife's favorite guns is her Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R. Ammo isn't the cheapest or easiest to find at times, but it is a solid shooting gun with plenty of fire power to protect along with minimal kick.

My wife started with a S&W 642 and it was to much recoil for her, we found a 432 pd 32 h&r mag. and she carrys it every day.

Thanks guys. The options I've been considering are the SP101, 432, and finding an older Smith or Colt 32 long and boring it out for 32 HandR. I know the first 2 would be most practical, but have a "thing" for the older guns. I'll probably go for the SP 101 for now...in 327 so I'll have that option...and if she decides to go for a carry permit get a Smith. For me, I'd love one of those rare Detective Specials in .32....not for CC, just 'cause they're cool.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    First of all, handguns built for .32 S&W Long are NOT good candidates for rechambering to .32 H&R! Especially older ones! The .32 S&W Long is a very low-pressure round, so cylinders did not have to be built very strong. This is not simply a matter of external dimensions, but the metallurgy of the steel itself.

I do have a 4" .32 H&R SP101 that I keep around for the day I will hopefully live in a more rural area, and might find it a good plinker and small-critter gun. Or, for when I am too feeble to shoot Magnums and Specials from my .357 SP101s.

Thanks Rexster. Probably a terrible idea to alter a vintage revolver for value reasons anyhow. Looks like an SP101 is the answer.

.327 Magnum also handles the weaker H&R rounds

I have the Ruger SP101 in .327 magnum. It will chamber everything from .32 S&W, H&R magnum, and several .327 magnum rounds that top out at 500 ft-lbs from a 3-inch barrel.

The .32 S&W rounds in the heavily built SP101 make a great introduction. The recoil is so light it's like a toy.

The H&R rounds make a noticeable step up in power, but again are still very manageable in the SP101.

The .327 rounds jump far beyond the H&R. Now you're into a real SD capable round. I know a lot of people say, "but it's just a .32". Yeah, and a .357 is just a .38?

Right now the .327 ammunition is hard to come by. In fact, after an 8-month wait, the ammunition fairy just came in again.

At any rate, the .327 revolver will easily handle the H&R rounds and provides a nice flexible platform.

A shiny [30-year-old] stainless-steel six-shot .32 caliber H&R stub-nosed revolver is in this desk thing atop my end table, next to me on the left, ready to be pointed toward my front door; a good-enough gun to stop home-invader fun.

Links