First time shooting my new 60 - Page 2

First time shooting my new 60

This is a discussion on First time shooting my new 60 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like the 60 is a keeper. Do you intend to carry extra ammo by way of a speedloader(s) or speed strip(s)..?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time shooting my new 60

los
    Sounds like the 60 is a keeper.

Do you intend to carry extra ammo by way of a speedloader(s) or speed strip(s)..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

los
    Quote Originally Posted by D Strokes View Post
    Hello, D.

FYI, photos of her model 60 can be found in a Thread she posted a few days ago,... located here....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nally-got.html

But you're right. Every Thread should be filled with gun photos..

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Dude, she's a chick!!
    I know, but a S&W 60 whit pink grips ... . Well, actually I cannot say anything, I like the rainbow titanium finish on the SIG 238 .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congratulations on an excellent choice! Some say S&W aint what they used to be, but they couldn't prove it by my model 60...built like a swiss watch.

Selecting a holster, you're going to have to actually go in to a couple of real gun stores and try some out. As far as I've been able to tell, most holsters are designed to fit just fine on a man, however these can be a bit problematic when a woman tries to draw from the same holster (I think we're talking belt holsters here). Just look at the rigs female LEOs wear sometime and you'll have a sense of the issue.

The one that seems to be the best all around IMHO is the Galco model FL118...its a semi-paddle design that rides very high, with a moderate forward cant. They aren't cheap, but they are the very best quality, and this one works just fine for my wife as well as myself...I wear this every day for at least 10 hours, I hardly notice its there any more, and no-one has ever commented that I might be carrying.

One thing I've noticed on this model 60 is the DA trigger...very very smooth, but also very heavy...had any trouble with that? If mine's any indication, it could benefit from a trigger job to bring it down from about 8-9lbs to a more manageable 5 lbs...JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Hello, D.

FYI, photos of her model 60 can be found in a Thread she posted a few days ago,... located here....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nally-got.html

But you're right. Every Thread should be filled with gun photos..
    Wow I feel retarded. I actually posted in that thread before I posted in this one. Doh!

Haha, anyway, Nice gun!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Sounds like the 60 is a keeper.

Do you intend to carry extra ammo by way of a speedloader(s) or speed strip(s)..?
    I don't know where I would put extra ammo.But truthfully I really hadn't thought about carrying extra ammo. Any ideas on the subject is much appreciated.

los
    Well, carrying extra ammo for revolver reloads is quite easy. If you intend to belt carry your 60, you can carry extra ammo in a Speedloader or via Speed Strips. Both SLs and SSs can be carried on the belt in a pouch,..or they can be carried in the pocket or purse.

The SLs are a little bulkier to carry when compared to a SS, but offer quickess over the SSs for reloading the weapon.

I carry a strip in a dump pouch and sometimes an extra strip in the pocket.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I don't know where I would put extra ammo.But truthfully I really hadn't thought about carrying extra ammo. Any ideas on the subject is much appreciated.
    Page one has the belt cartridge holder, the bottom of page two has the strips..........

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    "I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning. I think I made the right decision in getting this gun." ~~~~>

Pink Grips <~~~

One of THE very best holsters is the M. SPARKS PMK that Tony K. designed for his wife.
    Order one if you can (it will take you a while till you finally get it) due to the rather long waiting list of folks wanting some of the finest gunleather ever produced.
    Trust me that if for any reason you do not love it once you finally DO get it...you'll instantly get every cent that you paid for it if you list it for sale in our Members Buy, Sell, Trade area.

"The #PMK is similar in design to our 55BN holster, but allows the gun to set a bit lower on the belt.
    I originally designed this holster for my wife to help keep the butt of her Detective special from digging into her ribcage, hence her initials PMK.
    Each holster is meticulously hand molded around the actual model of the revolver it is meant to carry.
    The mouth of the holster is reinforced with metal to provide rigidity and long lasting durability.
    The belt slot and rear loop are positioned so as to pull the weapon as close to the body as possible.
    Currently available for most revolvers with 4 inch or less barrels."

Hummmmmmmmmmm......Here is how it would look.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxferry View Post
    Congratulations on an excellent choice! Some say S&W aint what they used to be, but they couldn't prove it by my model 60...built like a swiss watch.

Selecting a holster, you're going to have to actually go in to a couple of real gun stores and try some out. As far as I've been able to tell, most holsters are designed to fit just fine on a man, however these can be a bit problematic when a woman tries to draw from the same holster (I think we're talking belt holsters here). Just look at the rigs female LEOs wear sometime and you'll have a sense of the issue.

The one that seems to be the best all around IMHO is the Galco model FL118...its a semi-paddle design that rides very high, with a moderate forward cant. They aren't cheap, but they are the very best quality, and this one works just fine for my wife as well as myself...I wear this every day for at least 10 hours, I hardly notice its there any more, and no-one has ever commented that I might be carrying.

One thing I've noticed on this model 60 is the DA trigger...very very smooth, but also very heavy...had any trouble with that? If mine's any indication, it could benefit from a trigger job to bring it down from about 8-9lbs to a more manageable 5 lbs...JMHO.
    I felt like the trigger pull on this paticular gun was very smooth. I had no trouble at all pulling the trigger through each time. Now when I first shot the Ruger sp101 I couldn't pull the trigger through without first cocking the hammer back. But this little gun is a joy to shoot. I can't wait to get to go practice more with it.

Administrator
    "I felt like the trigger pull on this paticular gun was very smooth."

The trigger will get even better the more you shoot it.
    You can also "dry fire" it a few hundred times and that helps also.

VIP Member
    I'm wearing a PMK holster with my Model-640 as I type. I still can't figure out why it’s type-classified as a woman's holster. Perhaps I'm just reaching towards my feminine side. In any event, it does in fact hug very close to the waist and that's a good thing as it can't be readily detected under a button-down untucked shirt.

BTW: 'QKShooter' is right about the lead-time, as it took 6-1/2 months for my 'Milt Sparks' holsters to arrive. Now, they don't run your bankcard until it ships, so that's nice. Anyway, you must order within the first few days of the month 1st-4th. After that, they usually close the orders for the month. I just ordered another 'girly' PMK yesterday for my k-frame. Caveat: Any pink in my house is only permitted on a woman!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Saber; June 5th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I bought the shiny stubbie and have not shot .357s out of it yet. I sort of dread it because my bigger heavier Ruger SP-101 gun kicked and hurt my trigger finger and hand. Still, with .38s it ought to do great. I have to shoot up those hot rounds just to get rid of them.

VIP Member
    Those days' as a LEO with SWC .357' ammo is over for me. I'll stick the .38 and +P stuff as there isn't anyone around that I need to impress.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links