Thinking about the Sig P238

This is a discussion on Thinking about the Sig P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got the two tone w/black grips. Mine was one of the first out. Serial # in the 800's. "back in the day....we didn't have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about the Sig P238

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've got the two tone w/black grips. Mine was one of the first out. Serial # in the 800's. "back in the day....we didn't have them fancy choices". Initially, I had issues w/it returning to battery. This varied, based on ammo, but it was unsatisfactory w/any and all ammo. Sig customer service was fantastic. Gun back w/in the prescribed 7 days at no cost to me; Every spring replaced. Not a hiccup since then and that's been hundreds of rounds. Close to 1k I would expect. I load my own so availability hasn't been an issue in 380. They build these little buggers very close to spec so breakin is an absolute IMO. I pocket carry mine in a cheap Blackhawk #1. I'm not particulary gentle with it and it has no wear marks at all. I checked it carefully prior to typing this.

The premium that they ask for some of the finishes is not worth it IMO. You're already paying a premium for the Sig name (though I'd do it again... I think it's worth it). The rainbow?..... nough said. My little basic model is just fine. Yeah, I might change out the grips someday.

These guns tend to like hotter loads, particularly in the breakin period. Go for 95-100 gr if you can get it. 90 gr isn't enough in most of the 380's early, at least that's my observation. Even my wifes Bersa didn't like 90's when it was new.

If you're going to carry a 380, and there is certainly question about that, I believe this is the one. I won't go into all the why's, we all have our opinions. But for a quick summer gun, it's great. They shoot surprisingly well in terms of accuracy and they're quite comfortable to shoot.

Good luck
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for you input. I have a Seecamp 380 and its a top gun for quality, however, it is so small, your hand takes punishment when you crank off a rd. Then too is is so particular about the brand it will fire consistently...that being Federal HS, that I wanted something larger and less picky in terms of ammo.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I would go for the 238 HD. Stainless frame and slide. At only 4oz more than the alloy framed version, I don't think I would notice any difference when carrying. I already have a Colt Gov 380 and would get a Sig 238 HD if there was ever one in stock and I had the coin in my pocket.
    As a side note, does any one know if holsters are interchangeable between the Colt and the Sig.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've heard it a number of times that holsters are completely interchangeable between the two. Magazines as well.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

My daughter got an all black nitron, for conceal carry, I officially have gun envy.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links