Need input from Sig and S&W 1911 owners

This is a discussion on Need input from Sig and S&W 1911 owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning on upgrading from my longtime carry pistol, a Springfield GI 1911, to something with a few more bells and whistles on it. Nothing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need input from Sig and S&W 1911 owners

Need input from Sig and S&W 1911 owners

I'm planning on upgrading from my longtime carry pistol, a Springfield GI 1911, to something with a few more bells and whistles on it. Nothing wrong with my trusty GI, but you can never have too many 1911's, right.

Requirements include a 5"barrel, steel frame, standard bushing/plug/spring set up, commander hammer, flat MSH, night sights are preferred but not required, and I like internal extractors. The gun also has to be relatively accurate at CQB distances, but I don't think a 1911 from any reputable manufacturer will have problems with that.

Since I own two SA 1911s, I thought I might try to diversify although I know that a SA Loaded 1911 will fit the bill. I've never been a huge fan of Kimbers, I don't really know why, but I'm not. So, anyone who has input on a good 1911 for say under a grand, that fits those requirements, I'd appreciate the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I don't know, but you might have a hard time finding what you want under $1k.

You want bells, whistles and night sights?

I'm tuned in to what the replies are gonna be

This is a little more than your budget, sans night sights:

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yeah, the night sights might send it out of budget. But I did manage to find a nice SA target 1911 last year for under 900 NIB, so I have hope of finding the pistol without night sights for under 1000.

Also, the taurus 1911s hit a lot of the points I know, but I don't really like taurus Semi's, and all the writing on the sides.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I've got the Taurus PT1911AR.

It's not pretty, but it's served me well. It's riding with me right now, in a Little Bear IWB holster

I've heard good things about STI's Spartan:

Throw on some night sights and you're probably still under a grand.

ETA: The Spartan comes with a fiber optic front sight
    Last edited by zacii; June 5th, 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: more info

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

JD
    Administrator
    Both the Sig and the S&W use an external extractor. If you've been happy with your GI, why not get a stainless loaded 5" or MC Operator? The loaded should be able to be found under $1k the MC Operator just over $1K, from previous research CDNN or Buds Gun Shop will have the best pricing on them.

I found this at Impact Guns. It's out of stock, but they're accepting orders.

Under $1k, with tritium night sights

JD
    Administrator
    As an FYI,

If I recall correctly the frames of Springfield's Park'd guns may be/are carbon steel, not stainless steel. The stainless loaded will have a stainless steel frame.

I forget which steel the MC Operator is made with.

JD,
    As far as the operators go, they are great guns, MARSOC uses em, but I don't have use for a rail on a CC gun, and all of my holsters are set up for standard 1911s, so I don't want to go that route. Really if I can find a gunstore back home (when I get there), that has a SA Loaded 1911 Combat in Black stainless, that is probably what I would buy. The black stainless just looks cool. Any SA loaded I'd swap out the FLGR for the way its supposed to be with a plug, but that's not a big issue.

I haven't paid enough attention to know that Sig and S&W both use external extractors, maybe someone can still convince me on em, but I have faith in JMB's designs as he made them (although some small mostly cosmetic changes are ok, I don't like changes to the internals).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    JD,
    As far as the operators go, they are great guns, MARSOC uses em, but I don't have use for a rail on a CC gun, and all of my holsters are set up for standard 1911s, so I don't want to go that route. Really if I can find a gunstore back home (when I get there), that has a SA Loaded 1911 Combat in Black stainless, that is probably what I would buy. The black stainless just looks cool. Any SA loaded I'd swap out the FLGR for the way its supposed to be with a plug, but that's not a big issue.

I haven't paid enough attention to know that Sig and S&W both use external extractors, maybe someone can still convince me on em, but I have faith in JMB's designs as he made them (although some small mostly cosmetic changes are ok, I don't like changes to the internals).
    My next 1911, which should be done in September (OMG this gun's going to rock) is going to be railed just to have the option of using it should I ever desire to use it for a night stand role with weapon mounted light.

The blackened stainless is hella' sharp, but takes a little more to maintain, a slight scratch in regular stainless is no big deal. Just bead blast and go etc. But the blackened stainless is an applied finish and one scratch and it will look like crap. Not saying you shouldn't go that route, just keep it in mid.

FWIW by all reports both S&W and Sig don't have any issues with the external extractors but both incorporate a mechanical firing pin safety, Sig uses the Colt Series 80 style firing pin safety while S&W (except for the TFP model) uses a firing pin safety similar to Kimbers. As you probably all ready know Springfield uses a combination of a heavier firing pin spring and lighter pin to negate the mechanical firing pin safety.

Whichever you choose I think you'll be happy with it.

VIP Member
    I was very surprised with my S&W 1911SC. Out of the box I used it at Front Sight for 4 days and barely cleaned it each night. Almost 800 rounds later not a single malfunction of any kind. It is very accurate and honestly, for the money it's the best of my 3 1911s!

I had a S&W 4506 with the same external extractor and put an excess of 6000 rounds through it and only needed to remove and slightly stone the surface of the extractor once after about 4500 rounds. It took all of 5 minutes to do. I really like external extractors and wish my two SIGs had them!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thumper:

Is that the same pistol, but with the Gunsite Grips?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Thumper:

Is that the same pistol, but with the Gunsite Grips?
    Yes, same one, I wish I had two! Those are Aluma Grips with the Gunsite Logo... great grips!

Before anyone ask, it is a Commander sized 1911 even though it looks like a 5" in the pictures.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I saw in the flier for my favorite gun store in Ohio a basic Parkerized S&W 1911 for under 900 bucks that looks like it has most of the features I like, so I'll probably have to go handle it some to see what I think. It will probably come down to which one seems like the best deal while it is in my hands. On looking at the Sig's a bit more, some of the lines on em just don't look right, so I probably won't be going with them.

The thing about the STI Spartan is that it isn't actually made by STI, its just branded as an STI, and I don't really like that fiber optic front sight.

JD, just outta curiosity since I've been out of things around here for a while, who is building your new 1911?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

My 5" S&W 1911 has been great for me. The 8-round magazine makes it a little harder to hide, so you need lots of cant, but it operates flawlessly.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Don't think I'd recommend a SIG 1911, at least based on my experience with one. Had to have it replaced after 3 trips to the factory. The new one took it's first 200 rounds with no problem, but that's all I've been able to shoot so far and still don't trust it. I would get a fancier Springfield if I was looking to upgrade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links