FNP-40 loaded chamber indicator not working

This is a discussion on FNP-40 loaded chamber indicator not working within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought an fnp-40 this past week and i just realized that the loaded chamber indicator doesnt work. With a round chambered it doesnt ...

Thread: FNP-40 loaded chamber indicator not working

I just bought an fnp-40 this past week and i just realized that the loaded chamber indicator doesnt work. With a round chambered it doesnt stick out like it's supose to. There is no difference in it when it's unloaded opposed to when it's chambered. Should I be concerned about this? Seems like this would be a safty hazard.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I just bought an FNP 9, but, didn't get it yet. I think the loaded chamber indicator is like the one on the Glock; the edge of the extractor claw sticks out just a tiny bit. It's more tactical than visual. Run your finger across the extractor when loaded, and feel whether or not it's sticking out. Honestly, I can't figure how it would not work, since the extractor claw has to engage the cartridge rim....that would force it to stick out.

Don't look for something dramatic; it is a subtle indicator.

Good Luck with your new gun.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Functionally, it makes no difference, the loaded chamber indicator is only there because of inport regulations. It is nice to be able to verify that the chamber is loaded without taking it out of battery, however, not necessary. In all reality, you shuld know wether your firearm is loaded, but accidents do happen and that is part of the reason that the indicator is required.

That being said, I'm sure if you contact FN, they will make it right for you, but again, this should not prevent the gun form working.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

ok that's what i was worried about. i've only put 50 rounds through it and I was worried that it might have been an issue with the extractor. I'll look into it further

The "loaded chamber indicator" was added to the pistol by marketing. For all intents and purposed, it doesn't have one. Better to press check anyway.

Ive noticed the same with me SW M&P 40c, there seems to be no difference in how far it sticks out with a empty or loaded chamber. Ive never looked too closely though.

FWIW I checked the indicator on my Sig 250 and it barely moves out when loaded as I mentioned in my previous post. . If you run your finger across the tip of the extractor, you can feel a difference between loaded and unloaded.

pb

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Ive noticed the same with me SW M&P 40c, there seems to be no difference in how far it sticks out with a empty or loaded chamber. Ive never looked too closely though.
    The M&Ps don't use the extractor based loaded chamber indicator. They have a witness hole at the rear of the barrel that serves as a loaded chamber indicator.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have two FNP pistols and neither one's chamber loaded indicator stick out much at all. I can feel it more than I can see it. Too be honest with you, I've never depended on it, so I've never really noticed it until now.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Send it back for their warrenty repair.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    It is nice to be able to verify that the chamber is loaded without taking it out of battery, however, not necessary. In all reality, you shuld know wether your firearm is loaded, but accidents do happen and that is part of the reason that the indicator is required.
    That's all well and good until someone who is unaware of the gun's defect assumes that it's unloaded because they are too lazy to do a visual inspection!

After keeping something in storage for a few years it's easy to forget something like this. And after all what's the point of having an indicator if it can't be trusted? This is a good argument for not having indicators on guns at all and always assuming loaded until you make a visual inspection.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I found this review of the FNP 9, there is a picture of the slide with a cartridge in place. You can clearly see the extractor claw sticking out as a loaded chamber indicator. Look here and then scroll down:

Taking a Look at the FNP9 Pistol

pb

Anybody that assumes a gun is unloaded because a little doohickey ain't sticking out doesn't need to be handling firearms,If you always assume a gun is loaded until physically checking the weapon there would be a lot less ND's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links