Help

This is a discussion on Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; from a gunphobic: "Never mind that more people are killed in their own homes by their own guns than by criminals. Or that you're 22 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Help

from a gunphobic:

"Never mind that more people are killed in their own homes by their own guns than by criminals. Or that you're 22 times more likely to shoot one of your family members or friends than a criminal with a gun."

Counterpoints (with verifiable stats) requested.

2. Remove Ads

Ask them to prove it. For some true facts see Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths they have a book you can download for free or you can buy a copy.Everything is footnoted about where it came from.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    from a gunphobic:

"Never mind that more people are killed in their own homes by their own guns than by criminals. Or that you're 22 times more likely to shoot one of your family members or friends than a criminal with a gun."

This logic is so freaking stupid.....you are also statistically far more like to choke to death on milk if you have it in your frig., or burn your house down if you cook on the stove. It basically means nothing.

If you are trying to get some ammo for an arguement with anti-gun people do some research on your own. Lots of good info and statistics that dispells the ill-logic of the anti-2nd amendment sheep. The 2nd amendment is a right not a privledge don't forget that.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

100% of people who eat carrots die.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    "Natural causes" is the leading cause of death in the US, but nobody is trying to find a cure for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ive heard a couple of those lines used among others. One thing I HAVE learned is some antis are just too damn stubborn to ACCEPT THE FACT that their so called facts and statistics can be and have BEEN disproved over and over again... If you chose to live a life free from all things POSSIBLY harmful it is STATISTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE DEATH IS A HAZARD TO YOUR HEALTH AND IS statistically 100% LIKELY TO OCCUR IN YOUR LIFETIME...
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

driving ur car increases ur chances of getting in to a crash....

VIP Member
    Debates like this with your friend or who ever, are really pointless. Many people simply believe what they want to believe. After all, that's how Ding-Dong was voted into the white house.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Counterpoint...........

I read the book "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.......he makes the point you site and some others that make him an "anti". His book was good though. I recommend it.

That being said......... Gun ownership takes a certain frame of mind. It takes thought. It is not for everyone, because not everyone has the same upbringing. Lot of folks where raised with guns as a part of their lives and totally have a different perspective from those who have not. Lots of folks only have the media as their influence on gun ownership. Responsible gun ownership happens every day. If you can't trust yourself......who do you trust?
    Last edited by crankinNM; June 5th, 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: changed spelling

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    from a gunphobic:

I won't be debating anyone who spouts such obvious absurdities.
    ( for which THEY have no legitimate source )
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    People who quote that garbage have already decided to disregard the truth!

Besides... "1 out of every 1 persons die"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    100% of people who eat carrots die.
    LOL! What about corn? I don't see how it could since it comes out just like it went in. What harm can that cause?
    Ah...yes...the statistics and what they say. Twisted words and numbers can become quite the game. So many variables to get the desired results while only presenting part of the equation.

100% of Liberals in the world die...therefore liberalism causes death!
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Another very disturbing statistic:

100% of all divorces in the world are a direct result of marriage.

Sad, isn't it?

You're 100% more likely to be killed in an armed home invasion without a gun to protect yourself.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links