Does anyone own a Kahr and an EMP?

This is a discussion on Does anyone own a Kahr and an EMP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the size and feel of my wife's CW9. I shoot it very well but I just can't love it. I hate that ...

Thread: Does anyone own a Kahr and an EMP?

VIP Member

Does anyone own a Kahr and an EMP?

I really like the size and feel of my wife's CW9. I shoot it very well but I just can't love it. I hate that long DA trigger pull.

Can anyone tell me how a Springfield EMP compares to the Kahr. Size, feel, recoil, those sort of things. Pics would be nice too. Thanks.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Cw9 & emp

Okay, I have and carry a CW9. I have shot more than several times a friends EMP. Let me start by saying that until I shot the CW9 200 rounds I had doubts about the double action trigger. I was a die hard single action trigger believer. My all time favorite pistol is the Browning Hi-Power.

My experience with the EMP was positive and the pistol has a fantastic single action trigger. It is really light! The first magazine I shot produced an unintended shooting of another round. They both struck the zero section of an IDPA target. Exactly what I would want if thats what I wanted to do! Over several sessions I have shot the EMP 50 rounds worth. Several friends have tried the same EMP out each time I borrowed the pistol. Great things about this pistol are the trigger, the grip and wonderful overall look of this pistol. A few not so great things about the EMP. The grip is a little long, if the magazine was flush instead of fitted with a bumper pad I would like it better. I have cleaned the pistol three times and it is hard to clean, disassemble and reassemble. That is me, other people may not agree. I guess the last item that gave me pause was the price. It you are a 1911 guy you will love this pistol!

As for the CW9 it is thinner, lighter and just as accurate. I do not shoot the CW9 as fast as a single action pistol or even as fast as I shoot my XD service model. I only have 500 rounds through the CW9, but it is my all time favorite carry gun. Loaded with 7+1 the pistol weights 21 ounces. A spare 7 round magazine is 5 ounces total. Try to shoot both, I think you will like this excellent Kahr CW9 pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

jyo
    Get used to the CW-9 trigger or get the equally small Walther PPS---Glock-like trigger (I have both). At the really close range you are likely to use such a pistol, pin-point accuracy is not needed---100% function is king! By the way, Really light triggers on self-defense guns can get you into trouble---a loud noise when not wanted.

First, as far as single action goes. I certainly dont worry about that doing something like clearing my house. If I dont have a target identified, my finger is not on the trigger. simple as that.
    As far as the EMP goes, you will love it. My edc is the Kimber Ultra Aegis II (see avatar for pic). Its really the exact same thing as the EMP, just kimbers version of it. There are only very minor differances. Only reason I didnt get the EMP was becase it wasn't out yet when I bought the Kimber. No regrets, both are great. As in comparison to the Kahr, from what you have said, I think you will love it. Its fairly similar in size and wait, but has that awesome awsome trigger. I'm with you, I just dont like those long hard DAO triggers- not my thing.
    both the Aegis and EMP are very accurate for their size and very reliable. I obviously would suggest it to you, since its what I carry. Let me know if you have any specific questions about either.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    . A few not so great things about the EMP. The grip is a little long, if the magazine was flush instead of fitted with a bumper pad I would like it better. I have cleaned the pistol three times and it is hard to clean, disassemble and reassemble. That is me, other people may not agree. I guess the last item that gave me pause was the price. It you are a 1911 guy you will love this pistol!
    -- Richard
    quick note about his comments:
    if you happen to have a preferance of flush vs bumper pad on the mag- emp has bumper pad, aegis is flush.
    Only dissadvantage of flush is if you arent careful, you can pinch your hand if you slam the mag in fast. I solve that problem with how I carry mags- my first one is flush (8 rounder), and my followups are the longer ones (9 rounder) which stick out some. They arent ideal for carrying since they stick out, but work great as follow up mags since they hold more.
    I dont think assembly/dissasembly of the emp or aegis is difficult at all. Easier than most 1911s actually. It comes with a little tool to make it easier, but imo that just makes it harder. No tool actually needed to assemble or dissasemble.
    I mentioned the mag. As far as other differenaces betweent the aegis and emp:
    - Aegis comes silver Al bottom, black steel top, wood grips (i swaped for black crimson trace grips. EMP comes black bottom silver top with wood grips
    - Aegis comes with 8 round mags that are flush, but can accept 9 round mags (either padded like the EMPS, or not padded). EMP comes with the padded 9 round mags. donno if it takes 8 rounders or not. im guessing no.
    - both have ramped match barrels.
    - aegis states 4-5 lb. emp states 5-6lb for trigger. im sure you wouldnt notice the difference.
    -aegis: height 4.75", length 6.8". emp: height: 5", lenght: 6.5"
    -aegis width: 1.15. emp width: 1.27 (from forum info, not on website)
    - aegis wt: 25oz, emp wt: 26oz.
    - both come with tritium sights.
    -emp has ambi. mag release. aegis doesnt.
    - emp has spurred hammer. aegis has bobbed hammer (or at least mine does, i have seen it both ways)

so summary: similar size- aegis might be a tiny bit smaller. different mags, emp has ambi safety, and possible hammer type. all else really the same.

both were MADE for the 9mm and made to be compact. so you dont have any of the problems that some ppl with small 1911s or 9mm 1911s have. Both these guns are very reliable.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Cw9 & emp

friesepferd,

Excellent information on the Aegis and EMP pistols. I am still kicking myself for not buying the very first EMP I came across. I don't know how my friend came to have one of the first available EMP pistols, but he offered it to me for $750 + Tax. Sometimes I am such a dummy! It would have been a good match for my BHP, both having similar safety operations. As a lefty an ambidextrous safety is a must. The EMP truly has one of the best single action triggers I have shot.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I have a Kahr PM9 and an EMP 40. They are totally different guns and you shouldn't have too much trouble choosing which you prefer, however, if your like me and grew up with single action the PM9 does take a few rounds to like.

But, I also grew up (I should say old) with double action revolvers. Shooting the PM9 after shooting DA revolvers is a dream come true. I never like the action of the cylinder turn in the pull of the trigger. Well, the PM9 is your best double action pull (very light) without the distraction of the cylinder. Constant weight throughout the pull.

I didn't like it at first which is why I bought the EMP. But, the EMP 40 is a tad heavy. Eventually I tried the PM9 a few times and after realizing I've been pulling a double action trigger for 50 years I quickly adjusted to it.

Now the PM9 is my constant companion, when legal. I could have saved several thousand dollars had I tried the PM9 first before all the other CCW guns I've bought. EMP, PPS, Glock, H&K, S&W j frame, Kel Tec's, Taurus.

The PM9, to me has all the best characteristics of a good CCW gun. Of course no gun will be perfect. You want one that weighs an ounce and shoots 44 mag, with no recoil, totally accurate and reliable, totally concealable.. So you have to compromise on weight, caliber. The other four are non-negotiable.

Recoil with the PM9 is nothing. I pocket carry the PM9 and forget it's there. I have put 4 mags/28 rounds in a 3 inch circle at 21 feet. That'll get it done. Not a single malfunction to date, (with reloads, few CCW guns will do that).

The drawback to me on the rest are; PPS=unreliable, Glock=love the trigger, too big, H&K=too big, too heavy, j frame=too few rounds, Kel Tec's=unreliable. Taurus slim=my second choice to the PM9, slightly larger.

Links