Glock Magazine Insert Chipping Question

Glock Magazine Insert Chipping Question

This is a discussion on Glock Magazine Insert Chipping Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have taken apart my glock magazines roughly 3 times in the past 1500 rounds for cleaning. The magazine insert it starting to look pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Member Array crf3973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    246

    Glock Magazine Insert Chipping Question

    I have taken apart my glock magazines roughly 3 times in the past 1500 rounds for cleaning. The magazine insert it starting to look pretty brutal from me using a punch on my swiss army knife to take it apart.

    Does the nipple being slightly chipped on the magazine insert pose any risks for the firearm’s funtconability in the future? I can buy a new mag insert on glockworld for a few bucks, but if it’s not necessary, I won’t bother.



  2. #2
    Member Array sliponby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    140
    I really have no idea but, what's a few bucks? If I had any doubt as to any element that may affect the function of any of my firearms, I'd err on the side of caution...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array GlockJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    I really have no idea but, what's a few bucks? If I had any doubt as to any element that may affect the function of any of my firearms, I'd err on the side of caution...
    +1
    Buy a new mag and just use that one for range time if it still works. That way if it does drop on you all of a sudden, all that was ruined was a flawless range session with your glock :-)
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

    "Protect yourself at all times."

    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,442
    Cosmetically it doesn't look too great but if you can't get the floor-plate off without depressing it then it's still serving its intended function.

  5. #5
    New Member Array SithLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Cosmetically it doesn't look too great but if you can't get the floor-plate off without depressing it then it's still serving its intended function.
    +1
    Most of my Glock mags look similar to yours and have for many years. I have never had a problem with the function of any of my mags.

  6. #6
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Cosmetically it doesn't look too great but if you can't get the floor-plate off without depressing it then it's still serving its intended function.
    Exactly. If you think you need new mag inserts, they are around $2 each, shipping not included. You do know that according to the Glock user manual, that it's not recommended to disassemble the magazines at all. What made you feel they needed cleaning? Maybe we can better assess this situation.

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Exactly. If you think you need new mag inserts, they are around $2 each, shipping not included. You do know that according to the Glock user manual, that it's not recommended to disassemble the magazines at all. What made you feel they needed cleaning? Maybe we can better assess this situation.
    My mags have gotten dirt and sand inside them from fishing, the *crunch* *crunch* sound wasn't too nice so I cleaned them out.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,442
    A great quickie way to clean ka-ka out of mags the majority of the time without doing a disassembly.

    Buy a quart or so of odorless Mineral Spirits.

    Pour it into a large glass jar with a good lid because you can use it over and over again.

    Put about 10-15 drops of Break Free into the jar of spirits.

    Put your magazines on a wire let them soak for a short time and then bounce them up and down and slosh them around in the mineral spirits.

    Then remove the mag...let drain...go outside and shake the mag out hard & fast for a minute or so.

    You're good to go again after the remaining trace amount of mineral spirit solvent evaporates from your mag internals.

    Mineral spirits will not harm your polymer.

    The few drops of Break Free that you popped into your mineral spirits is so dilute that it's just enough to micro-coat your magazine spring with the thinnest trace of film.

    It's barely there and NOT enough to ever migrate into ammo.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A great quickie way to clean ka-ka out of mags the majority of the time without doing a disassembly.

    Buy a quart or so of odorless Mineral Spirits.

    Pour it into a large glass jar with a good lid because you can use it over and over again.

    Put about 10-15 drops of Break Free into the jar of spirits.

    Put your magazines on a wire let them soak for a short time and then bounce them up and down and slosh them around in the mineral spirits.

    Then remove the mag...let drain...go outside and shake the mag out hard & fast for a minute or so.

    You're good to go again after the remaining trace amount of mineral spirit solvent evaporates from your mag internals.

    Mineral spirits will not harm your polymer.

    The few drops of Break Free that you popped into your mineral spirits is so dilute that it's just enough to micro-coat your magazine spring with the thinnest trace of film.

    It's barely there and NOT enough to ever migrate into ammo.
    This work on 1911 mags too? Sounds like a good idea.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  10. #10
    Ex Member Array Don Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    sleeping with the fishes
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Cosmetically it doesn't look too great but if you can't get the floor-plate off without depressing it then it's still serving its intended function.
    yep. no worries at all, keep shootin

  11. #11
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    I'd rather go with canned air and blowing the grits of sand out of your Glock mags. Two years ago, I was dropping mine in the dirt twice a month, and to this day I haven't taken those apart for an internal cleaning. A lot of good things in life go
    *crunch* *crunch*
    Munchos potato chips, peanut butter crackers, crab legs, tacos, the list goes on. The sound doesn't mean anything's wrong.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'd rather go with canned air and blowing the grits of sand out of your Glock mags. Two years ago, I was dropping mine in the dirt twice a month, and to this day I haven't taken those apart for an internal cleaning. A lot of good things in life go Munchos potato chips, peanut butter crackers, crab legs, tacos, the list goes on. The sound doesn't mean anything's wrong.
    I suppose, I'm kind of neat freak with my guns tho
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I suppose, I'm kind of neat freak with my guns tho
    I'd never suggest eating food around your guns while cleaning

  14. #14
    Member Array crf3973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You do know that according to the Glock user manual, that it's not recommended to disassemble the magazines at all. What made you feel they needed cleaning?
    Quote from page 36 of my GLOCK manual:

    Magazine Disassembly

    Magazines do not normally need to be disassembled for cleaning each time your GLOCK pistol is cleaned. Disassembling and cleaning magazines at less frequent intervals (perhaps every 3-4 months) is normally sufficient, unless the magazine have been exposed to dirt or other adverse conditions or inspection indicates the need for cleaning.

    Thanks for all the replys, I guess the consensus is that I am fine since the floor plate is still held by the nipple on the magazine insert.

  15. #15
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    Quote from page 36 of my GLOCK manual:

    Magazine Disassembly

    Magazines do not normally need to be disassembled for cleaning each time your GLOCK pistol is cleaned. Disassembling and cleaning magazines at less frequent intervals (perhaps every 3-4 months) is normally sufficient, unless the magazine have been exposed to dirt or other adverse conditions or inspection indicates the need for cleaning.

    Thanks for all the replys, I guess the consensus is that I am fine since the floor plate is still held by the nipple on the magazine insert.
    Aye...I read page 36 of the owner manual, but on page 60 of my Glock Armorer's manual, it states that "in general, disassembly of Glock magazines is not recommended".
    If you're still worried about your floor plate insert(s) and want another or a couple, I have plenty. I'd get you one or two in the mail if it would help you sleep better....just for you. A PM is all it would take with your shipping info. All I have right now are the 9mm&40S&W size in double stack for the floor plate inserts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. .32 ACP rifle chamber insert for .30-06..
    By Thanis in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
  2. ESS ICE Kit & RX Insert Review
    By mercop in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
  3. First Fire In New Fireplace Insert
    By CT-Mike in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
  4. Glock magazine question
    By denverbear in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
  5. Glock 19 magazine
    By rmilchman in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 9th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Search tags for this page

chipped glock
,
chipped magazine well on glock
,
glock 2 magazine insert
,
glock 26 magazine insert
,
glock chipped
,
glock inserting magazine
,

glock mag insert

,
glock mag inserts
,
glock mag without insert
,
glock magazine chipping
,

glock magazine insert

,
glock magazine inserts
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors