Glock Magazine Insert Chipping Question

This is a discussion on Glock Magazine Insert Chipping Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have taken apart my glock magazines roughly 3 times in the past 1500 rounds for cleaning. The magazine insert it starting to look pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have taken apart my glock magazines roughly 3 times in the past 1500 rounds for cleaning. The magazine insert it starting to look pretty brutal from me using a punch on my swiss army knife to take it apart.

Does the nipple being slightly chipped on the magazine insert pose any risks for the firearm’s funtconability in the future? I can buy a new mag insert on glockworld for a few bucks, but if it’s not necessary, I won’t bother.

I really have no idea but, what's a few bucks? If I had any doubt as to any element that may affect the function of any of my firearms, I'd err on the side of caution...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    I really have no idea but, what's a few bucks? If I had any doubt as to any element that may affect the function of any of my firearms, I'd err on the side of caution...
    +1
    Buy a new mag and just use that one for range time if it still works. That way if it does drop on you all of a sudden, all that was ruined was a flawless range session with your glock :-)
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Administrator
    Cosmetically it doesn't look too great but if you can't get the floor-plate off without depressing it then it's still serving its intended function.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Cosmetically it doesn't look too great but if you can't get the floor-plate off without depressing it then it's still serving its intended function.
    +1
    Most of my Glock mags look similar to yours and have for many years. I have never had a problem with the function of any of my mags.

Exactly. If you think you need new mag inserts, they are around $2 each, shipping not included. You do know that according to the Glock user manual, that it's not recommended to disassemble the magazines at all. What made you feel they needed cleaning? Maybe we can better assess this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Exactly. If you think you need new mag inserts, they are around $2 each, shipping not included. You do know that according to the Glock user manual, that it's not recommended to disassemble the magazines at all. What made you feel they needed cleaning? Maybe we can better assess this situation.
    My mags have gotten dirt and sand inside them from fishing, the *crunch* *crunch* sound wasn't too nice so I cleaned them out.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Administrator
    A great quickie way to clean ka-ka out of mags the majority of the time without doing a disassembly.

Buy a quart or so of odorless Mineral Spirits.

Pour it into a large glass jar with a good lid because you can use it over and over again.

Put about 10-15 drops of Break Free into the jar of spirits.

Put your magazines on a wire let them soak for a short time and then bounce them up and down and slosh them around in the mineral spirits.

Then remove the mag...let drain...go outside and shake the mag out hard & fast for a minute or so.

You're good to go again after the remaining trace amount of mineral spirit solvent evaporates from your mag internals.

Mineral spirits will not harm your polymer.

The few drops of Break Free that you popped into your mineral spirits is so dilute that it's just enough to micro-coat your magazine spring with the thinnest trace of film.

It's barely there and NOT enough to ever migrate into ammo.

A great quickie way to clean ka-ka out of mags the majority of the time without doing a disassembly.

Buy a quart or so of odorless Mineral Spirits.

Pour it into a large glass jar with a good lid because you can use it over and over again.

Put about 10-15 drops of Break Free into the jar of spirits.

Put your magazines on a wire let them soak for a short time and then bounce them up and down and slosh them around in the mineral spirits.

Then remove the mag...let drain...go outside and shake the mag out hard & fast for a minute or so.

You're good to go again after the remaining trace amount of mineral spirit solvent evaporates from your mag internals.

Mineral spirits will not harm your polymer.

The few drops of Break Free that you popped into your mineral spirits is so dilute that it's just enough to micro-coat your magazine spring with the thinnest trace of film.

It's barely there and NOT enough to ever migrate into ammo.
    This work on 1911 mags too? Sounds like a good idea.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

yep. no worries at all, keep shootin

I'd rather go with canned air and blowing the grits of sand out of your Glock mags. Two years ago, I was dropping mine in the dirt twice a month, and to this day I haven't taken those apart for an internal cleaning. A lot of good things in life go
    *crunch* *crunch*
    Munchos potato chips, peanut butter crackers, crab legs, tacos, the list goes on. The sound doesn't mean anything's wrong.

I'd rather go with canned air and blowing the grits of sand out of your Glock mags. Two years ago, I was dropping mine in the dirt twice a month, and to this day I haven't taken those apart for an internal cleaning. A lot of good things in life go Munchos potato chips, peanut butter crackers, crab legs, tacos, the list goes on. The sound doesn't mean anything's wrong.
    I suppose, I'm kind of neat freak with my guns tho
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I suppose, I'm kind of neat freak with my guns tho
    I'd never suggest eating food around your guns while cleaning

You do know that according to the Glock user manual, that it's not recommended to disassemble the magazines at all. What made you feel they needed cleaning?
    Quote from page 36 of my GLOCK manual:

Magazine Disassembly

Magazines do not normally need to be disassembled for cleaning each time your GLOCK pistol is cleaned. Disassembling and cleaning magazines at less frequent intervals (perhaps every 3-4 months) is normally sufficient, unless the magazine have been exposed to dirt or other adverse conditions or inspection indicates the need for cleaning.

Thanks for all the replys, I guess the consensus is that I am fine since the floor plate is still held by the nipple on the magazine insert.

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    Quote from page 36 of my GLOCK manual:

Magazine Disassembly

Magazines do not normally need to be disassembled for cleaning each time your GLOCK pistol is cleaned. Disassembling and cleaning magazines at less frequent intervals (perhaps every 3-4 months) is normally sufficient, unless the magazine have been exposed to dirt or other adverse conditions or inspection indicates the need for cleaning.

Thanks for all the replys, I guess the consensus is that I am fine since the floor plate is still held by the nipple on the magazine insert.
    Aye...I read page 36 of the owner manual, but on page 60 of my Glock Armorer's manual, it states that "in general, disassembly of Glock magazines is not recommended".
    If you're still worried about your floor plate insert(s) and want another or a couple, I have plenty. I'd get you one or two in the mail if it would help you sleep better....just for you. A PM is all it would take with your shipping info. All I have right now are the 9mm&40S&W size in double stack for the floor plate inserts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links