VERY disappointed with Taurus TCP

This is a discussion on VERY disappointed with Taurus TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may play the "I told you so" game. Feel free. I just posted this on TaurusArmed.net: I had been looking around for ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VERY disappointed with Taurus TCP

Some of you may play the "I told you so" game. Feel free. I just posted this on TaurusArmed.net:

I had been looking around for a pocket .380 for the last few weeks. I always swore that I wouldn't carry a .380, but I've been pocket carrying a PT145 on my own property after dark (in a pocket holster, of course). It's really just too much, even at home.

Anyway, last Saturday I decided that I was going to bust a move, so I went to a gun shop that had the TCP, Ruger LCP, and Kel-Tec P3AT in stock. After holding them all, I decided on the TCP. Two reasons: The slide locks back and it has a spare mag.

So I spent last week racking the slide and breaking it in somewhat, dry firing with snap caps, cleaning, oiling, degreasing, etc... So I headed to the range on Friday after work. I loaded her up and fired away. On about the fourth round of the first mag, it went "click" and.... nothing. I assumed that it had stovepiped or that the slide hadn't gone back into battery fully. Nope. It was completely closed. So I unloaded, reloaded, and finished that mag. Loaded the second mag, took about two shots and then....nothing. Again, the slide was fully forward. I unloaded, reloaded, tried again, and...nothing. The trigger would "click" but no "bang bang."

To make a long story short, one of the employees there stepped in because they had seen me retrieving a round that had fallen about a foot past the line on the security camera. I should have known better, but, you know...

Anyway, I told him what was going on and he said, "Hang on a minute," and took it to the gunsmith.

(brace yourself) He came back and said, "this gun's broken."
    No kidding. This brand new TCP had a BROKEN TRIGGER MECHANISM.

So, I can't begin to tell you how angered I was at this point. I took it to Gander Mountain and came within half an inch of accepting the $91.00 they offered me, one week after paying $325.00 plus taxes, and washing my hands of Taurus for good. Yes, I was that upset. I had already started formulating in my head the really nasty e-mail I was going to send to Taurus. But I finally cooled down a bit and let Gander send it in for repair. Ironically, I had just ordered a pocket holster for it, and...tada!...it was in the mail when I got home last night.

So that's the story. I went back to the range today for the express purpose of firing the PT145, which I hadn't done in a while, just to see if it would reaffirm or dispute my anger with Taurus. It shot fine. Not to bore you with this here, but it was a total dog until I replaced the mags. I made other threads about this before.

When this TCP gets back in a month or so, it will be the LAST chance I give Taurus. If there is anything wrong with it when it gets back, it will be traded for whatever pittance I can get against a Sig P238 or possibly even a Micro Desert Eagle.

I understand that "anything mechanical can fail" and I'm okay with that. What I'm NOT okay with is the fact that it'll take at least a month (according to GM) to get it back and the fact that a brand new gun should have some better QA.

So this is it for Taurus with me. The PT145 straightened out after I bought new factory mags out of my own pocket. I won't be doing such a thing again. The TCP will either come back right or it, and probably the PT145 also, will be history and so will Taurus as far as I'm concerned.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Have you ever had a Taurus previously? I know you didn't state it, but it sounds like you have, just asking.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

that's too bad. I hope they don't give you the run around.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I've never owned a Taurus but from what I've read on here and with an issue I saw today as a matter of fact I don't believe I will. While at the range today a guy had a NEW Taurus 8 shot revolver, (don't know the model not familar with Taurus) in .22 Mag. after firing ONE cylinder of Winchester Super X ammo through it when you hit the cylinder release you almost needed two hands to push the cylinder out of the frame. As you said any gun can fail, but I don't see a S&W or Ruger revolover having this issue after one cylinder.

Think you're mad now, just wait till Taurus CS gets through with you.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Have you ever had a Taurus previously? I know you didn't state it, but it sounds like you have, just asking.
    Yes. See above.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Yes. See above.
    My apologies, I just saw where you brought in the other weapon into the coversation with the disgust over the first weapon.

Hope it works out for you.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Buddy had a PT something and it did the same thing. The trigger had little plastic fingers on them, that released the firing mech when the trigger was pulled. They both were broke off. Wonder if that happened here? He sent it to Taurus for repair, and sold it when it got home. Good luck to you!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Well, you should've been expecting it to break after your first purchase from them. I would NEVER buy a second gun from a manufacturer after having the first one have problems.

SO MANY other choices out there that there's no sense to put more money in Taurus' pockets.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I guess you fall under the catagory of those who want to save a few bucks and get a good handgun at a bargin price. Nothing really wrong with that, we all like a good deal and value for our hard earned dollar. But as all to often is the case with guns from the Bull.....you got the horns. CCW is the one place to not go cheap. Do your research, buy smart and get a high quality carry gun. We all know that all manufacturers from time to time produce a bad apple, they all do, but Taurus is just as much miss as hit it seams. Stay away from them and spend your money on a proven reliable handgun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I guess you fall under the catagory of those who want to save a few bucks and get a good handgun at a bargin price.
    Actually, no. The Ruger LCP is about the same price and has a proven track record. The Kel-Tec is even cheaper and is also loved by many. What appealed to me about the Taurus was the slide lock and the spare mag.

The money wasn't the object. It was the features.

-miklcolt45

Administrator
    We really need an "I told you so" smiley face thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
    Well, you should've been expecting it to break after your first purchase from them. I would NEVER buy a second gun from a manufacturer after having the first one have problems.

SO MANY other choices out there that there's no sense to put more money in Taurus' pockets.
    (sigh) Yeah. The PT145 has been excellent, but only after I bought new mags out of my own pocket. Even if the TCP is excellent after it comes back, it's my last Taurus unless things change dramatically.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We really need an "I told you so" smiley face thing.
    Yep, we do. We also need one that says "Lesson Learned."

-miklcolt45

Yeah, NEVER a problem with glock, kimber, sig, springfield, etc etc....give me a break! They all have lemons boys. Get over it already!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links