A gun similar to a Glock but without the sharp grip angle?

This is a discussion on A gun similar to a Glock but without the sharp grip angle? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a ccw gun. I like everything about the Glock, especially the G19, except the sharp grip angle. I really do not like ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A gun similar to a Glock but without the sharp grip angle?

I'm looking for a ccw gun. I like everything about the Glock, especially the G19, except the sharp grip angle. I really do not like the way it feels in my hand. I love my Eclipse II but its too nice, I need a beater for ccw. I need a rugged gun that I don't mind beating up. Reliable. Polymer. High capacity. Good for ccw. What should I get guys?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    If you like the 19, check out the M&P9c. It was a wussified adjustable grip and is actually a pretty nice package over all.

But I say people put far to much into the way a gun "feels in hand" Are you buying a combat pistol or a Lazyboy? You are not walking around all day with the gun in your hand. I put more effort into things like reliability, accuracy, logistics of keeping the gun in service, balance and how well it carries. But that's just me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Have you looked at the Gen 4 Glock? The 17 is a bit bigger than the 19 but I really like the way it feels in hand.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Try the M&P9c and the Springfield XD9SC. You could also check out the FNP9.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Smith & Wesson Sigma and Springfield XD-9. I've used both and they're both good choices.

I'm using the Sigma right now.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I had plans to buy a G23, but wound up getting the SA XD40SC. I love this gun, does not kick as bad (snap) as was led to believe, and shoots dead on!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Springfield Armory XD
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Another vote for the M&P series

SA XD. Great shooting pistols.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

My Vote M & P
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

VIP Member
    I tend to agree with SIXTO on the subject of grip angle. As long as you can get a proper grip and train adequately with it, any reliable handgun is good. I shoot Glock, Sig, Colt, Ruger, H&K,..... without any real concern over grip angle.

Some folks get caught up in the mechanics of the grip, stance, blah, blah, blah. I could be wrong and will probably be blasted on here, but in a Situation you are not likely to be in anything like a traditional stance. Your grip will be what it is and I highly doubt if you will even notice grip angle.

The only allowance I make to grip angle is if a particular gun points radically off center and I am not able to adjust my grip to correct. I have yet to find a gun that I can not get to point at least reasonably well.

Still, some just can't get used to the Glock, so I will add one more for your consideration. Look at the Ruger SR9c. I have not shot the 9c, but the original SR9 was a very good shooter for me. The trigger on the 9c has been changed or "fixed" and from reports is much improved. My SR9 was a fine gun and I was very pleased with it. That is until I discovered the Glock 19. :-)

Good luck in your search. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you like the 19, check out the M&P9c. It was a wussified adjustable grip and is actually a pretty nice package over all.

But I say people put far to much into the way a gun "feels in hand" Are you buying a combat pistol or a Lazyboy? You are not walking around all day with the gun in your hand. I put more effort into things like reliability, accuracy, logistics of keeping the gun in service, balance and how well it carries. But that's just me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    I'm looking for a ccw gun. I like everything about the Glock, especially the G19, except the sharp grip angle. I really do not like the way it feels in my hand. I love my Eclipse II but its too nice, I need a beater for ccw. I need a rugged gun that I don't mind beating up. Reliable. Polymer. High capacity. Good for ccw. What should I get guys?
    I think the Walther P99 is the most comfortable gun I've ever held. It's polymer, rugged, small, high capacity, and also 9mm like the G19. Meets all your criteria.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I had plans to buy a G23, but wound up getting the SA XD40SC. I love this gun, does not kick as bad (snap) as was led to believe, and shoots dead on!
    ^^^ Same for me ^^^
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Smile

That is really a "loaded" question. You will find more opinions that Carter has liver pills. So here is mine. The Springfield XD and XDM series are pretty good candidates. I own and XD 40 service and like it. The M&P series from S&W seems to be a decent pistol and would be worth looking at. CZ makes a really good polymer gun in the 07 series that seems to get good reviews. I have an older CZ 75B and it shoots nearly as good as my 1911. Sigs are silky smooth but are pricey. I have my eye on the 2022 series but I am not sure that it is small enough to conceal. Taurus has some new models that incorporate Glock and other features and have the edges cut down. I know that people here trash Taurus with great passion, but I have three of them and they are not bad pistols for the money. The grip angles on the 24/7 as well as the grip itself is really good, possibly the favorite in my collection. If I was on a limited budget I would look closely at the new Taurus with the Glock style trigger and take down system. If you have a range that rents guns nearby, go rent the models that you decide that you might like and then make your choice from there. The bottom line is that you have to be happy with your choice, not me or anyone else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links