Advice on carrying concealed

This is a discussion on Advice on carrying concealed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use my Smartcarry more than any other holster and it took me a good week to get over the fact that a loaded firearm ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on carrying concealed

I use my Smartcarry more than any other holster and it took me a good week to get over the fact that a loaded firearm is sitting on top of my privates but I don't give it a second thought anymore. Neither of my Glocks have ever gone bang without the trigger being pulled.

Even with practice I can get it out rather quickly but in a high stress situation with the adrenaline pumping the last thing I want to have to think about is racking the slide.

2. Remove Ads

As noted in the OP you state your a combat shooter. Do you emty chamber carry at matches? & what kind of matches you shoot?? Just curious ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member
    Hello OP,
    I also started the concealed carry interest a few months ago and started with an LCP. Here were the posts that came after asking a similar question.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ight=condition

After studying, taking classes, practicing, etc, for a few months, I moved up in caliber and capacity to a SS P250, now carrying 15+1. The P250 is proving a little large for the summer season, so I am now thinking of dowsizing somewhat to a P239.

My point is that your guns might all be good shooting for your previous activities, but concealed carry is a whole different thing with different and very specific requirements....so it needs it's own purpose selected firearm that balances short range performance, operation under stress (simplicity), size, weight, shape, etc. And a caliber that you can afford a lot of practice with.

After you pick out your gun we'll see you on the holster threads.

That's my 2 cents, as a beginner to cc.

ps. the Mas Ayoob (sp?) Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry is good, as is Concealed Carry Magazine (find on the web).

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    ALWAYS plus 1

As to the safety:
    Most of the time I do keep my safety on. (Unless I'm carrying my XDM, which would make this a mute point.)

I think I do this more for other people than myself.
    I've came close to dying a couple of times; and I figure keeping the safety on is a good idea should someone have to render aid and handle my gun.

Besides, I try to keep myself trained so the draw and safety release are "ONE" motion.

Condition 1 always.

1911 or Glock.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Dude, you're overthinking it.

Get yourself a nice belt, some awesome tactical pants that you have absolutley zero use for and read everything Masaad Ayoob writes. Learn it, live it, love it. Always carry as much ammo as you can because one never knows when you may need it. Will you be ready when called upon to act? Never ever shop at any establishment that will not let you open carry. If you can't protect yourself, will they? Be sure to write a letter to corporate headquarters that is overly dramatic and poorly written. Always remember that you are the first line of defense and to always keep your situational awareness up. As a bonus post pictures of you (preferably overweight) carrying your gun in public so that we can all see how confident you are.

It depends on what I'm carrying. I have 2 primary CCW guns.

First is my Glock 23. One in the chamber in an IWB holster.
    Second is my Bobtail Commander 1911. One in the chamber, cocked and locked with thumb safety IWB.

Practice enough and the safety isn't a problem.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    As noted in the OP you state your a combat shooter. Do you emty chamber carry at matches? & what kind of matches you shoot?? Just curious ; )
    H/D
    I am one of about 2 dozen shooters who get together once a week at a private range typically for two "scenarios" per week. The range includes doorways, hallways, steel targets (poppers, flappers, etc), cardboard silhouettes, etc. The scenarios are typically entering a residence / building and encountering targets and no-shoot targets. The matches are timed and scored. I have found a very unique opportunity to do this type of shooting and get the benefit of an instructor or two who are part of the group. This all takes place on private property, not at a club or range.

In all honesty, what I typically do when I load an make ready is to rack the slide, flip on the safety and the holster the gun. When I hear "shooter ready" I take the safety off. FWIW, my holster is a blackhawk serpa. That is the habit I have gotten into.

Reading into your question, I don't carry empty at matches as that would affect times, etc. (that's an obvious lead in to - what about a bad guy situation, I know.). I am basically trying to learn as much as I can as I transition into what will, in all likelihood, be a loaded chamber CCW posture. I guess I want to learn what mistakes are out there to make before I make them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by OHCCW View Post
    I typically will have a larger handgun in the car but never have the chamber loaded, just a full magazine in the gun.

How do the rest of you carry? I know a lot of people like a glock with one in the chamber holstered on their side / inside their waistband. I have a problem with the lack of manual safety, and potential for a accidental shot.

The flip side of all of this is, I know, is fumbling with the safety, no time to rack the slide, etc.
    I generally carry a Glock, but the advantages have little or nothing to do with 'safeties' or the lack of the manual external safety.

There is no significant issue with dropping the 1911 (or Beretta etc) safety on the way to the aligning the sights on target. If the firearm has a manual safety I will happily and automatically use it -- no issue.

But I would also happily carry a 1911 if it had not external manual safety -- as it was apparently originally designed.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER until you are pointed at a target you are willing and intending to destroy and use a proper holster (to cover the trigger safely), and there is really no issue.

If the muzzle comes off the target (or my intention to shoot changes), the finger comes off the trigger -- the two are tied inseparably in our neurology.

If you cannot do this (yet) then more training is needed until it becomes automatic and nearly impossible to do otherwise.

I won't even consider carrying an empty chamber -- if I need to shoot it, I probably will need to shoot it NOW!

(A single action cowboy revolver where a drop might fire it would of course be reason to carry with the chamber under the hammer empty, but the others loaded, but I don't have one of those.)

--
    HerbM

Confidence Will come in do time, Heck the shooting you do is exsellent Gun handeling you'll need. As others have stated if your not comfy CC with a round in chamber, Well that's your call, As I think your ready if you use the same gun/s you Practice with, Only YOU can make that call. OMHO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Train, practice, and read. Get a good education regarding gun safety and handling as there are many good resources availaboe (this forum being one of them). Also, learn your particular weapons and understand how they work. You will gain the confidence to carry loaded, chambered, and no safety. A good holster (regardless of where you carry) is a must. Cover the trigger and keep your finger off of it and it will not go off. Always practice the 4 rules of gun safety (muzzle direction, finger off trigger, assume all are loaded, clearing weapon). I have the following firearms that I carry regularly (pocket, OWB, and IWB) loaded and chambered with either no safety or safety off:

1) Springfield XD40 sub compact: It has a firing pin block that works in conjunction with a grip safety and trigger safety. It can't physically fire unless the grip safety is depressed and the trigger (with center trigger bar) depressed fully.
    2) Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact: It has a de-cocker/manual safety and is DA/SA. I carry loaded, chambered, de-cocked and safety off. The hammer is not in contact with the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled all of the way back with the DA a long hard trigger pull.
    3) Taurus PT709 Slim: It has a trigger safety and a manual safety. I carry it loaded, chambered, safety off.
    4) S&W 442: DAO revolver with long hard trigger pull, no safety. I carry it fully loaded.
    5) Ruger SP101: DA/SA revolver with long hard DA trigger pull. I carry it fully loaded hammer down.
    6) Ruger P95: it is the same as the Bersa above.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Confidence Will come in do time, Heck the shooting you do is exsellent Gun handeling you'll need. As others have stated if your not comfy CC with a round in chamber, Well that's your call, As I think your ready if you use the same gun/s you Practice with, Only YOU can make that call. OMHO ; )
    H/D
    I think the reason I'm going through all of this back and forth is my respect for the issue at hand and the fact that even with all the shooting I do it's still not second nature yet. Getting closer, but once a week doesn't mean enough to me yet.

Thanks everyone for your input.

None of my handguns have manual safeties. Nothing against them, just don't happen to have any with one. One less thing to worry about I guess.
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

Everything Ive EVER carried is always with one in the chamber. Most of what Ive carried have no manual safeties. I have carried a few 1911s cocked and locked. If there isnt one in the chamber its a very expensive paper weight IMO. Also note everything Ive carried has been both OWB and IWB (open carry and concealed) But carrying with one in the chamber is a personal call, no one can TELL you to and it comes with confidence in yourself.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I carry a Glock 26 usually in a Thunderwear(Smart carry) holster at 12 o'clock. I just recently picked up an IWB holster that I've been trying out at 3 o'clock.

But in either position, one in the chamber. Im probably one of the few that use the first round in the mag to put in the chamber and don't fill the mag back up. But with either my 15 round or 10 round mag, I don't feel I'm shorting myself that much leaving that one extra round at home. The benefit I get from not topping off is the ability to place that one round back in the mag if neccesary and not having a round floating in my pocket.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links