Advice on carrying concealed - Page 3

Advice on carrying concealed

This is a discussion on Advice on carrying concealed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 Always with a round chambered, as I prefer to carry a fully functioning firearm for self defense--not a short, ineffective club ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Always with a round chambered, as I prefer to carry a fully functioning firearm for self defense--not a short, ineffective club that given time and opportunity may be turned into a functioning firearm.

If you have a proper holster and the ability to keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target, it ain't gonna go bang until it's supposed to.
    +1...I carry Glocks (26 or 19). Always chambered. I recommend that you research and take a GOOD Defensive Pistol training class from a REPUTABLE instructor and/or training facility. Then build upon that training. Your "private" shooting is good, but cannot take the place of professional training...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by OHCCW View Post
    I am a regular shooter (weekly combat pistol) and intend to pose this question to my fellow shooters, but I thought I'd give this forum a try as well.

I have several 9mm and .45 handguns as well as an LCP. I also have a variety of belt holsters for the larger guns and a pocket holster for the LCP. All of my larger guns have manual safeties as well as glock style trigger safeties. All my larger guns are SAO. So far I have not carried the larger guns concealed, just the LCP. I carry the LCP in my front pocket with one in the chamber and the magazine topped off. I am comfortable with the LCP's long heavy trigger pull and have no concern about an accidental discharge.

I typically will have a larger handgun in the car but never have the chamber loaded, just a full magazine in the gun.

How do the rest of you carry? I know a lot of people like a glock with one in the chamber holstered on their side / inside their waistband. I have a problem with the lack of manual safety, and potential for a accidental shot.

The flip side of all of this is, I know, is fumbling with the safety, no time to rack the slide, etc.

I guess my question boils down to this. What do you guys carry and how (one in the chamber, no manual safety, safety not engaged?)?

Do I just need to take the next logical step if I'm going to carry at all?

My larger caliber carry choices are:

Ruger SR9 (full size) w/ manual safety
    M&P 9 (full size) no manual safety
    Sig P220R .45 w/ manual safety
    Taurus PT145 w/ manual safety
    Carry in the manner the gun was designed to be carried.

I always carry loaded/round in the chamber....and do not have any manual safeties on my guns (except the Beretta 92FS).

How does you P220R have a safety? or is it a P220 SAO?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

OP Here - My daily routine doesn't make me feel the need to prepare for war every day. Having said that, I prefer to have a firearm with me at least in the car rather than at home in a safe. My rationale (and I admit I may be rationalizing this) is that I'll see the threat coming and have time to disengage the safety and rack the slide.

Looking back at the LA riots years ago, I don't want to be the guy pulled out of his truck and beaten with a brick. That's sort of my mindset. Admittedly it doesn't deal well with an active shooter in a public place.

I'm still researching / learning and this will all likely lead to the conclusion most of you have already come to. Thanks for all the input.
    I think you are rationalizing. Things happen very fast...you are assuming you have time.

Having a gun in the car is not the same as being ready to defend yourself....if that is the case, then you are using the firearm in a manner not intended--that is, as a talisman against bad things.

I recommend more reading...and more training through a reputable instructor...if we can't change your mindset, then someone who can do some hands-on traininng definitely will.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think the reason I'm going through all of this back and forth is my respect for the issue at hand and the fact that even with all the shooting I do it's still not second nature yet. Getting closer, but once a week doesn't mean enough to me yet.
    Very understandable -- you really should keep getting training and more practice until you can do ALL of the steps safely AND comfortably.

And then you must be even more rigorous about doing them safely. Two kinds of people make mistakes that lead to negligent discharges:

Those that don't know and follow the rules
    Those that know the rules and are sure they cannot make a mistake

We must do two seemingly contradictory things:

Know the rules so well that they become instinctual, automatic, and unconscious
    Ensure that we consciously take responsibility and follow them even then

To get more practice and gun handling skill, you can engage in dry fire exercises.

The following is what I was taught -- and actually do -- but safety is YOUR responsibility. Get a professional instructor to monitor you if you have ANY doubt at all about your ability to perform the practice safely.

First, separate ALL of your ammo in a different room/place from where you will practice. Clear the gun there, double check it. Leave the ammo (all of it including extra mags, separate rounds etc). Go to your dry fire place.

Clearing and checking the gun must include at least the following (for a semi-automatic):

• Drop the magazine (first)
    • Rack the slide back (to clear the chamber)
    • Visually inspect the chamber
    • Look THROUGH the slide down the magazine well and SEE AIR or GROUND -- say, "I see the AIR".
    • Look away (to ensure you REALLY looked)
    • Repeat the visual inspection of both chamber and looking through the magazine well.
    • Repeat the entire process.

You MUST repeat the check at least twice.

Your dry fire location MUST have a 'safe direction' to point the firearm -- we are still going to treat it as if it is loaded. (For safety purposes) All firearms are always loaded, right?

[Safe direction means something a round will NOT penetrate (e.g., wallboard to another room, front door to your neighbor's house are NOT safe) and something that will NOT bounce a round all over the room.]

Announce OUT LOUD, even if alone in the house, "I am going to dry fire now." Re-check the gun. Double check the gun, while always maintaining a safe direction.

Pick an 'especially safe direction' -- I like to use the END of a row of books, e.g., a set of encyclopedias END to END, and discharge the trigger.

Notice we just broke a rule of gun safety for the first time -- we put our finger on that trigger. This is the reason we must be absolutely explicit about maintaining all of the other rules.

Now you are ready to dry fire. You can practice drawing and firing as long as you maintain a safe direction and as long as you do NOT interrupt the practice -- if you get a phone call, stop to use the bathroom, or do anything else you MUST repeat the entire process to prepare. No exceptions.

Practice with your firearm cocked and holstered just like it will be when you carry -- engage any external safety. Pretend there is a round in the chamber. Pick a target (always in a safe direction, don't don't use your cat or the big screen TV), and slowly present the firearm, FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.

Drop the safety with your thumb (presuming a thumb safety on almost an modern pistol which has one) ONLY as you come on target. Make sure of your target and only now with the conscious intention to fire, place your finger on the trigger, and discharge the trigger while pointed at your SAFE DIRECTION.

Re-engage the safety and holster. If you must cock it to engage the safety, then some of your practice should be where you only point the firearm, finger goes to trigger, you do NOT fire, remove finger from trigger, re-engage safety and holster.

When finished, or if interrupted, state out loud, "I have completed dry fire practice." Do NOT leave the dry fire room/place until you do this. Say it out loud even if you are the only person within 10 miles.

If you decide to perform additional practice, you MUST repeat all of the steps to separate the ammo and move to a different room even if you are 'sure' you haven't loaded.

All firearms are always loaded (for the purpose of safety.)

Sometimes, for cleaning and dry fire practice we must however discharge the triggers -- so in those cases we make a very explicit, couscious ritual of all of the other safety precautions -- and still we triple check.

• Firearms are always loaded
    • Keeping them pointed in a safe direction
    • Know your target AND what is behind your target in case a round goes through or misses the actual target
    • Keep your finger off the trigger until you are prepared AND INTEND to shoot to destroy the target

Putting the firearm on safe is not actually one of the 'rules of firearm safety' -- it is just a darn good idea if the firearm offers this choice.

Many firearms accidents and negligent discharges start with someone saying, "See, it won't fire when the safety is in this position."

Do not say this and do not ever let yourself BELIEVE this.

Many others start with, "Of course it is unloaded, so it is perfectly safe."

Do not say this and do not ever let yourself BELIEVE this.

NEVER depend on the safety of a firearm to keep you safe, use it only as an extra precaution.

A dependable Glock, a quality holster, always 6 + 1, developed muscle memory with the trigger finger...it all works together.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Carry in the manner the gun was designed to be carried.

I always carry loaded/round in the chamber....and do not have any manual safeties on my guns (except the Beretta 92FS).

How does you P220R have a safety? or is it a P220 SAO?
    Yes, P220R SAO.

Regarding training, I recently took a handgun class in a group setting. My reaction was that the class was too short (only 2-3 hours) and not enough reps of the drills. My intent is to arrange a one on one course with the instructor. The instructor is a LE instructor and is very good in getting the message across.

GLOCK 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, one in the chamber and 15 in the magazine. I love the fact that the only things I need to remember is draw, point, and fire. Most modern firearm safeties are relatively simple to manipulate while drawing, but it's is one more step and one that can go wrong at a very bad time.

Practice, practice, practice.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I carry xdsc-9 iwb crossbreed supertuck, and i always have one in the pipe. the first few times i was kinda hesitant but i also thought everyone was looking at me too... LOL that goes away with the more you carry the more comfortable you get and your weapon essentially becomes part of you. kinda like wearing a cell phone on a clip on your belt... A MUCH MORE DEADLY CELL PHONE... LOL

I carry a H&K P30 9mm 15 +1 in a C-TAC Holster. Always. If I ever need it, chambering a round or dealing with safeties... it's just not for me.

i dont think there is anyone on here that will suggest to you that you do not keep one in the chamber, and if they do they will most likely get a big bashing.
    a DAO with no safety or SAO with safety are both fine and very safe if you know how to use them. personally I carry a 1911, so SAO with safety. pratice practice practice and you wont even know the safety is there, you will just disingage as you draw.
    i would never suggest to you to carry a gun without a safety if you are not comfortable enough to carry it as such. if you dont feel that you can safely holster your gun without a safety, then you cant.
    i would also never suggest to you to carry a gun with a safety if you are not comfortable enough to carry it as such. if you dont feel that you can flick that safety off every single draw with no lag time, then you cant.
    either way the only solution is lots of practice. and if you have that, either way is perfectly safe.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i dont think there is anyone on here that will suggest to you that you do not keep one in the chamber...
    i would also never suggest to you to carry a gun with a safety if you are not comfortable enough to carry it as such. if you dont feel that you can flick that safety off every single draw with no lag time, then you cant.
    either way the only solution is lots of practice. and if you have that, either way is perfectly safe.
    Agree 100%.

I saw a forum members signature on here that reads something like - Waiting until there is trouble before you chamber a round in your gun is like waiting until you see the guy run a red light before you put on your seatbelt. A gun without one in the chamber is an unloaded gun and I ain't takin' an unloaded gun to a gunfight!

Of all the handguns I have ever owned, - Glocks, Sigs, Revolvers, DOA Kel-Tec .380 etc... - none have had manual safties. Therefore my EDC has to be something that I can just pull out and shoot.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    To the O.P. welcome. Many good suggestions have been made and should be followed. I have but one more. Search. This subject comes up more often than any other.

Regarding training, I recently took a handgun class in a group setting. My reaction was that the class was too short (only 2-3 hours) and not enough reps of the drills. My intent is to arrange a one on one course with the instructor. The instructor is a LE instructor and is very good in getting the message across.
    Take as much training has you can afford and will enjoy.

3 hours is great as an intro -- such courses, never go very far.

At least a full week-end, or 3-5 days is a good basic course in defensive shooting at a quality facility.

Then perhaps another week-end once or twice a year if you can find a good nearby school.

If you can, try to get in something with Gabe Suarez of Suarez Int. -- they will include some Force on Force (e.g., Airsoft) usually, which is more realistic than shooting only at paper targets.

Try to take some AMOK! with Tom Sotis or Die Less Often (Suarez also) for accessing.

Firearms are great but they can be nearly worthless if you criminal has the drop on you or is already attacking violently, and you can't get your pistol deployed.

--
    HerbM

When it's my PM9, one in the chamber; as DAO, I'm confident it won't be going off unless I want it to. When it's my winter gun, a Kimber UCII, one in the chamber and safety on ... I practice taking it off safe a dozen times each morning before I go out, just to remind my thumb what to do ... my third carry gun is a Smith 637, and it's five chambers are always full ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links