Advice on carrying concealed

This is a discussion on Advice on carrying concealed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a regular shooter (weekly combat pistol) and intend to pose this question to my fellow shooters, but I thought I'd give this forum ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on carrying concealed

I am a regular shooter (weekly combat pistol) and intend to pose this question to my fellow shooters, but I thought I'd give this forum a try as well.

I have several 9mm and .45 handguns as well as an LCP. I also have a variety of belt holsters for the larger guns and a pocket holster for the LCP. All of my larger guns have manual safeties as well as glock style trigger safeties. All my larger guns are SAO. So far I have not carried the larger guns concealed, just the LCP. I carry the LCP in my front pocket with one in the chamber and the magazine topped off. I am comfortable with the LCP's long heavy trigger pull and have no concern about an accidental discharge.

I typically will have a larger handgun in the car but never have the chamber loaded, just a full magazine in the gun.

How do the rest of you carry? I know a lot of people like a glock with one in the chamber holstered on their side / inside their waistband. I have a problem with the lack of manual safety, and potential for a accidental shot.

The flip side of all of this is, I know, is fumbling with the safety, no time to rack the slide, etc.

I guess my question boils down to this. What do you guys carry and how (one in the chamber, no manual safety, safety not engaged?)?

Do I just need to take the next logical step if I'm going to carry at all?

My larger caliber carry choices are:

Ruger SR9 (full size) w/ manual safety
    M&P 9 (full size) no manual safety
    Sig P220R .45 w/ manual safety
    Taurus PT145 w/ manual safety

I carry a glock 19 in an iwb galco holster. I always carry with one in the chamber. As long as your holster covers the trigger than your gun won't just go off. I have never heard from anyone in this forum who carries a glock or any other gun without a manual safety ever having their firearm go off while riding in their holster.

VIP Member
    M&P 9c no manual safety and one in the pipe. Yes indeed you need to get past the manual safety and be confident with your trigger finger as being the safety. I have no issues with manuals, but not having one in the pipe and racking your slide/ flipping safety off in time of need is just a bit much.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; June 6th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I carry a Sig 250 9mm subcompact. One round in the chute. This gun is double action only, so when you load the chamber, the hammer follows the slide down, and that's how you carry it; hammer down. No safety or other unnecessary ( in my opinion ) controls that might get you killed fumbling with them in a crises situation!

If you are looking for a small thin gun with a safety, that carries well and shoots great, take a look at the Ruger SR9 compact. Great gun!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Glocks, usually .45 or 9mm, or a P7M8 are my usual choices; occasionally a revolver in .357 or .44.

Always with a round chambered, as I prefer to carry a fully functioning firearm for self defense--not a short, ineffective club that given time and opportunity may be turned into a functioning firearm.

If you have a proper holster and the ability to keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target, it ain't gonna go bang until it's supposed to.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I carry my Glock 26 one in the pipe and a full mag in a IWB holster with the trigger guard covered. No problems. The Glocks have three safety mechanisms, trigger, firing pin, and drop. Each are deactivated one by one as the trigger is pulled. Very safe and reliable guns. Stay out of the trigger guard unless you are ready to shoot.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I carry a fullsize Smith and Wesson M&P .40 in a Galco IWB holster with one in the chamber and a topped off magazine. When I first got my gun I was worried about an AD so I purchased it with a manual safety. Now that I am more confident with my gun and carrying concealed I choose not to engage the safety at all and I have yet to have a problem.

VIP Member
    There are some videos showing storeowners being killed because their auto-loader wasn't ready to shoot. My take is that if it has a safety, then you have to trust it. An unloaded gun could be very inconvenient.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You will be able to answer your question for yourself once you start training how you carry, and carry how you train.

Muscle memory and reflex will take over. If you prefer having a manual safety, practice that way. If you prefer chamber empty (aka Israeli Mosaad) practice drawing and racking. There is no one-way is the only way or my way is the best way.... it is up to you.

They key is PRACTICE. I sold my SA 45 the day I went to the range and practiced from the draw and fired...with the safety engaged. I decided then and there I was not practicing enough to carry a weapon like that, and bought a Glock. Never had that problem again. But the answer is practice, practice, and when you are getting really good, practice some more. The gun is merely a tool: the skills to use it come from practice.

Sig 239 or Sig 229 and lately I've included a Glock 26 in the rotation.

All carried in Comp-Tac Paddle holster, FBI cant (OWB). All loaded to capacity with one in the chamber.

I own other guns with external safeties, but I don't carry them. Not that I couldn't learn to add disengaging the safety as another step, I just don't see the need. It's simply a personal decision.

Carry the M&P 40c condition hot, no safety in a plethora of different holsters.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I don't think there's any risk of the gun discharging while in the holster with 1 in the chamber.

After you have drawn your gun, there is a greater risk of accident. For example there was a video I recently saw on youtube where a cop was trying to cuff a BG, he resisted and tried to walk away, then pulled the gun out of her holster, pointed it in her face and pulled the trigger. She didn't die because she didn't have 1 in the chamber. I can't find the link...

It's also possible that you pull your gun on someone, and your hands are so clumsy from fear and adrenaline that you accidentally pull the trigger when the sight of the gun was enough to scare the BG to try to run away so that it is no longer legal to shoot him.

Another example I can think of is if you take it out and set it down, then forget about it, and your kid picks it up and shoots himself or somebody else with it by accident. That wouldn't happen if there wasn't 1 in the chamber. This recently happened:

3 Year Old Mistakes Gun for Wii Remote, Shoots Herself | GamePolitics

Don't let anyone tell you that carrying a gun without 1 in the chamber, or with a safety on, is no more useful than a brick. There are some times when you want to draw your gun and fire immediately. For example, if someone has already opened fire on you, or if a rapid dog jumps out in close proximity and tries to bite your face off, for example...but in the majority of situations in which you would need to draw your gun, you should probably not fire immediately. You might say "Get the f$$$ back before I blow your brains out!" and if they run away, then you don't have to shoot them and go through the hassle of defending yourself in court. I think in majority of cases you would have time to rack the slide or disable a safety.

You will NEVER be prepared for the WORST thing that could happen. You have to make a conscious decision about what level of threat you want to be prepared for. Carrying without 1 in the chamber makes you prepared for most threats, but there are some threats where you need to be loaded to be prepared for. There are also threats where carrying a handgun of any type won't save your ass. You can't cover them all.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Glock - it's ready before you pull it, so be ready before you do.
    No Worries, Got Glock!
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Another example I can think of is if you take it out and set it down, then forget about it, and your kid picks it up and shoots himself or somebody else with it by accident. That wouldn't happen if there wasn't 1 in the chamber. This recently happened:

3 Year Old Mistakes Gun for Wii Remote, Shoots Herself | GamePolitics
    - IMO, this is one of the MOST irresponsible things that anyone can do. No firearm should be set down anywhere unsecure, even for a moment, when there are children present. A gun should either be holstered on your body or in a safe, no exceptions.

I agree that people should decide for themselves on how they should carry, but if you are afraid of a ND upon drawing or holstering a gun, then you probably own the wrong gun or are not ready to carry a firearm. There are numerous guns out there with safeties that need to be disabled before they can fire.

There are numerous threads on this topic already, but I'm in the always loaded crowd. There are a lot of situations that you may be where it will be next to impossible to manually chamber a round (attacker on top of you, injured arm/hand, etc.).

Here's a very long thread on this subject.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...bered-not.html

Thanks for the link, I'll do some more reading

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    -
    Here's a very long thread on this subject.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...bered-not.html
    OP Here - My daily routine doesn't make me feel the need to prepare for war every day. Having said that, I prefer to have a firearm with me at least in the car rather than at home in a safe. My rationale (and I admit I may be rationalizing this) is that I'll see the threat coming and have time to disengage the safety and rack the slide.

Looking back at the LA riots years ago, I don't want to be the guy pulled out of his truck and beaten with a brick. That's sort of my mindset. Admittedly it doesn't deal well with an active shooter in a public place.

I'm still researching / learning and this will all likely lead to the conclusion most of you have already come to. Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links