New Rock Island .45ACP

This is a discussion on New Rock Island .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is my newest toy (sorry pics are mediocre) I have wanted a compact .45 forever, but I can't throw money around like I used ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rock Island .45ACP

New Rock Island .45ACP

Here is my newest toy (sorry pics are mediocre) I have wanted a compact .45 forever, but I can't throw money around like I used to (going around these days...) I read a lot of great reviews on this gun on the internet, and after a lot of research, I picked this one up for $500. They used to be even less but they are getting popular. I have put 250 rounds through it. The first two magazines had 1 FTF each, and after that, it operated flawlessly. It is a joy to shoot and very accurate. I am still a little leery about such an inexpensive weapon, but if I put another 250 through it without problems, I will be sold. I am curious what others think of this gun.
    Attached Images
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

2. Remove Ads

I love the Officers models. Enjoy :) My SA is definitely in my carry rotation and I love shooting it. Unfortunately, My RIA was a total lemon, Hope you have better luck with yours than I had with mine.

los
    I held one at a gun show a few months ago. It was rock solid and well fitted. I've read a lot of great reviews coming from happy owners.

It's arguably the best value currently available in a OM 1911 platform.

Congrats.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I bought one over 3 years ago for $269.00,Have had 0 problems with it,It eats anything I feed it and carried it for several months,If I had any gripes,I wish back then they had the Novak style sights,mine has the GI sights.It goes to show what happens when an inexpensive gun gets popular,they jack the prices up,Just like the Sig P6
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If I had any gripes,I wish back then they had the Novak style sights,mine has the GI sights.
    Yeah, the sights still stink. But for that price and its purpose, I'm fine with it.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...I wish back then they had the Novak style sights,mine has the GI sights..
    They're standard on the "Tactical" model
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have a "Rock" compact and its a solid 1911. I own several higher end 1911's but the RIA generally performs just as well. Thats all you can ask for at the price point they sell.

Last edited by pirate; June 6th, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks for the review, and others accolades for this model. Couple of years ago I was reading reviews, checking out what was new on the market in the way of the 1911A1 pistols. Got the idea I wanted another one and at the time, the Taurus PT1911 struck my interest not only on cost, but custom features not offered in other makes. Looked over several RIA models at local gun shows in 2008. I like the basic mil spec1911A1, or close to it with a few wants in the way of extended thumb safety extended slide release, and a beaver tail grip safety along with skeleton hammer. I can do all of the work myself, and built a heck of a nice custom off a Norinco 1911A1 several years ago. I've heard the Taurus models deviate from mil spec in areas that might see issues in the way of modifications using standard parts. That' would be the downside for me. Now I'm thinking that more than likely the RIA is something I could set my mind on getting and forget about some of the others I've been thinking about over the past couple of years. Wish I'd have kept all of those surplus G.I. magazines I used to have for the 1911 now.

If you do have problems, RIA has a good customer service reputation.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I've played with 3 RIA full sized pistols and have been favorably impressed with them. They seem to have decent triggers right out of the box. They appear to be well made and give reliable function. I've had the most experience with my son's RIA and it has been flawless. His pistol eats all sorts of handloads. The Rock Island is a great way to experience 1911 goodness without paying an arm and a leg.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have a full size RIA in nickle. Love the gun very accurate haven't had a problem with it yet.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

How things have changed. RIA UGH No would want one. ETC

I have had a RIA for several years now ( my price was $199.00 NIB), the local dealer got it in, it sat there quite a long time so, he sold it to me for what he paid for it. He even ate the tax. His loss my gain.

I guess he was thinking it was a RG quality gun the way everyone was bad mouthing it.

I changed out the grips, installed King Hard ball sights, a pre 80 series commander hammer and grip safety. It was the only 1911 that bit me ever time I fired it. But not since the changeout.

It is in my rotation, along with the Colts, and Kahr AO's, when I am out prospecting, photographing local ghost towns or for some reason or another have to get closer to the border then I am now, 20 miles as the blackbird flys.

I have no hestiation about relying on it. It goes bang when I pull the trigger, it hits what I point it at up to 50 yards and it frightens the hell out of 18 inch steel targets at 200 yards and occasionally hitting one.

I try to put at least 8 rounds downrange towards the 200 yard gong at each range outing, once a week at the least.
    Retirement is WHAT it is cracked up to be SWEET

It would not be my choice of a going against an AK gun

but more of get me out of Dodge gun . . . I shoot- you duck- I run ---repeat as required

Administrator

RIA

They are not bad pistols. I've shot RI before but, have never owned one.

The frames are investment cast 4140 (I think) which is not a problem. The slides are machined from steel extrusion (which is good)
    The sights suck but, for the price...who cares?

I would feel unprotected carrying one BUT, before I made it my every day carry I would swap out the slide stop, the sear,disconnector and possibly the ejector...since it's just my personal opinion that critical MIM parts are not suitable on my personal carry guns....though others are carrying guns with MIM parts these days and are not having any problems.
    I'm just really "old school" and traditional on gun parts....I guess.

If they were a little lighter and I wanted to carry a 1911 it would probably be a RIA. The funny thing is that if you scour the internet it seems they actually have less problems then Kimbers.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    before I made it my every day carry I would swap out the slide stop, the sear,disconnector and possibly the ejector....
    While I am pretty handy with tools, I have never done work on pistols, and don't want to screw something up. If I had those items done by a gunsmith, any notion what kind of cash we're talking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links