Another one of those help me choose threads

This is a discussion on Another one of those help me choose threads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide on one of two guns for pocket carry. Sig P238 vs Kahr PM9 I have a Rohrbaugh R9 and a ...

Thread: Another one of those help me choose threads

Another one of those help me choose threads

I am trying to decide on one of two guns for pocket carry.

Sig P238 vs Kahr PM9

I have a Rohrbaugh R9 and a Seecamp .380 and a Mustang pocketlite 380....but here is the deal....the Seecamp is a quality gun but punishes you hand to fire, I know it's not a range gun and the too it is ammo picky.

The R9 is an awesome pocket gun but wont handle +p

The Mustang I want to limit the shooting because its a keepsake.

Bottom line is I quess I have the gun lust again....which would you pick or perhaps already have. Pros and cons of PM9 and of the Sig? Thanks.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

I would carry the R9 with standard ammo. Plenty enough pocket gun. Otherwise I would vote for the Sig. Just me... I like the Sig better than the Kahr.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I carry a PM9 because I prefer a nice DAO trigger for carry (especially in the pocket) over a SA cocked and locked. I would think your decision would come down to how you will carry the weapon and what you prefer or are comfortable with. The PM9 is very close to the R9, and P238 very close to the Mustang. Maybe you get the P238 to practice with and carry the Mustang.

"Sig P238 vs Kahr PM9

I have a Rohrbaugh R9 and a Seecamp .380 and a Mustang pocketlite 380....but here is the deal....the Seecamp is a quality gun but punishes your hand to fire, I know it's not a range gun and the too it is ammo picky.

The R9 is an awesome pocket gun but wont handle +p."

I wouldn't worry about the fact that the Rohrbaugh isn't rated for +P and carry it.

All the guns mentioned cover a narrow range with much overlap so I'd spent the funds on "something completely different."

Additionally, the Seecamp would go away, given your assessment.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Between those 2, I'd go for the PM9. Just because it has no external safety. I'd like to get both though... it's just for carry, I'd prefer the PM9.

You guy have some solid insights....thanks....that's the reason I enjoy this board....less egos....less my gun is better than yours and just throughful experience suggestions. That's refreshing.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I am trying to decide on one of two guns for pocket carry.

Sig P238 vs Kahr PM9

I have a Rohrbaugh R9 and a Seecamp .380 and a Mustang pocketlite 380....but here is the deal....the Seecamp is a quality gun but punishes you hand to fire, I know it's not a range gun and the too it is ammo picky.

The R9 is an awesome pocket gun but wont handle +p

The Mustang I want to limit the shooting because its a keepsake.

Bottom line is I quess I have the gun lust again....which would you pick or perhaps already have. Pros and cons of PM9 and of the Sig? Thanks.
    Hopefully, you'll only fire that Seecamp a few times to save your hide. It might punish your hand to shoot at the range, but do you know which PD ammo it likes best? I'm just saying. If you are apprehensive about shooting your Seecamp in a SD situation, then by all means, you should find an alternative. It's just that I read between the words, and seems to me that Seecamp is the one you'd rather carry. Of course getting another pistol that could simplify your current decision making process may be the thing to do. New pistols are always nice. Good luck with it all.

If your R9 has proven reliable, I'd just carry that. The Hornady Critical Defense is a good standard pressure defensive round - if the R9 will feed it.

I've owned two PM9s. They do have a unique manual-of-arms...they need to be loaded from slide lock using the slide release lever (not the pull-and-release method), and if you try to manually rack a dud JHP out of the chamber, you very likely will get a nose-down jam (which can be cleared usually by smacking upward on the mag). The top round in the PM9 mag is at a steeper angle than the rounds below it, so that round can come loose from your spare magazine.

I had numerous issues with mine, and finally decided I also didn't want to put up with finicky behavior or a manual-of-arms that differed from every other pistol I owned, so I got rid of the Kahr.

For the .380 - I'd go with a LCP instead of the Sig. I prefer a DAO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Hopefully, you'll only fire that Seecamp a few times to save your hide. It might punish your hand to shoot at the range, but do you know which PD ammo it likes best? I'm just saying. If you are apprehensive about shooting your Seecamp in a SD situation, then by all means, you should find an alternative. It's just that I read between the words, and seems to me that Seecamp is the one you'd rather carry. Of course getting another pistol that could simplify your current decision making process may be the thing to do. New pistols are always nice. Good luck with it all.
    My Seecamp will only eat Federal HS...scarce as hens teeth around me.

Links