Defensive Carry banner

Search for Hi Power ended...

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  jyo 
#1 ·
My quest for a vintage Browning Hi Power finally came to an end Saturday. By vintage I mean one with the deep blue finish and wood grips. Also one that doesn't mention Portugal on the slide....yuck!
I had been searching the internet for one, but even the grossly painted current production models are going for a $1,000+.
Out of desperation I went to the Summer gun show in Albuquerque. I saw only 2 HP's in the whole place. One new model and one beautiful vintage piece without a single flaw. It even had the original zippered carrying case.
I had taken along a S&W 6906 safe queen as a trade in and immediately started haggling with the seller. He dropped his asking price of $959.00 to an even $900.00 and offered me $450.00 for my Smith. I snapped that HP up and ran!!!!
Once I got home I carefully disassembled and cleaned my new arrival. The finish was pristine everywhere! The bore was flawless, I doubt this gun was ever carried or fired. A check of the serial number showed it was made in 1969! I'm a happy camper.:danceban:
Sorry, no pics...I'm just not computer savvy enough for them thumbnail photo's.

#7 ·
Congrats on the gun. How (where) do you check for the age of the gun as related to serial number?
Depends on the manufacturer of the gun. Some are date stamped (CZ and some others), others you can check for year of manufacture on company website (Ruger and Taurus and probably others as well). Some you may have to call their customer service line to find out.

#3 ·
Congrats. on finding what you were looking for! Enjoy!:wave:

#4 ·
The trials and tribulations of your quest are worth the trouble. The Hi Power is one of the great classic handgun designs of all time. God bless JMB and that Belgian fellow Dieudonné Saive too. No handgun feels better in the hand IMO.

#8 ·
Congrats on your Hi Power. JMB was a genius of firearm design. His weapons are still the standard others are compared against.

#10 ·
Good find.

I do feel bad, :sad: I was hoping for a pic when I saw this thread :frown:

Posting pictures is really easy: Help with Pictures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.