Choosing a pocket 9mm

This is a discussion on Choosing a pocket 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright. I've been thinking about it for a while now and it still makes sense to have my pocket carry be the same caliber as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a pocket 9mm

Choosing a pocket 9mm

Alright. I've been thinking about it for a while now and it still makes sense to have my pocket carry be the same caliber as my IWB carry.

Right now I IWB a G26. So what I'm asking is what pocket 9mm do you suggest?

I've been doing a little research and have come down to these:

Kel Tec PF9
    Taurus 709
    Walther PPS

There are two more that began on my list but were removed ONLY because of price. They are:

Kahr PM9
    Rohrbaugh R9

If there are any that I missed that you can give good reason to be added, please let me know. I'm asking carriers/users of these weapons to respond but any advice is welcome.

P.S.
    And I know there are a plethera of .380's out there that I can carry but I'm asking for only 9mm suggestions.

Thank You
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Alright. I've been thinking about it for a while now and it still makes sense to have my pocket carry be the same caliber as my IWB carry.

Right now I IWB a G26. So what I'm asking is what pocket 9mm do you suggest?

I've been doing a little research and have come down to these:

Kel Tec PF9
    Taurus 709
    Walther PPS

There are two more that began on my list but were removed ONLY because of price. They are:

Kahr PM9
    Rohrbaugh R9

If there are any that I missed that you can give good reason to be added, please let me know. I'm asking carriers/users of these weapons to respond but any advice is welcome.

P.S.
    And I know there are a plethera of .380's out there that I can carry but I'm asking for only 9mm suggestions.

Thank You
    Out of your three, it's a pps for sure. Steer clear of the bull or you will get the horns.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Pm9 pm9 pm9 pm9

But if price really matters and you don't want to save for the PM9, and had to choose, I'd go with the PPS.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'd almost say Pf9. I've had two p3ats, and I would definitely buy another Kel-tec product without thinking twice of it, based on my experience with them.

I've also owned,and pocket-carried a Kahr CW9, and absolutely LOVED it. (Long story, it got stolen. Nowadays I pocketcarry a S&W 442 snubbie.)
    Last edited by Ghettokracker71; June 7th, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

IMHO, none of the options you listed are pocket-sized...unless you have some really big pockets.

I did pocket carry a PM9 for a few years, but got rid of it due to too many reliability issues. It can fit in most pockets, but is a bit heavy.

The R9 is the only true pocket 9mm available, but it is expensive...it does not take +P ammo...the mag release is on the heel and is not conducive to a fast reload...you need to replace the recoil spring often...and some owners report finicky ammo feeding.

I'm awaiting the Boberg XR9S with some interest.

For pocket carry, my experience is that weight is as important as size. I know you don't want to consider a .380 (neither did I at one time), but I have to say I am pleased with my LCP. I put my faith in shot placement and penetration - not so much in caliber. JHPs in .380 get about 10-13" penetration, while FMJ gets 16-17". The FBI minimum is 12" with 15 " desired. So, in warm weather I alternate FMJ with Hornady Critical Defense, while in winter weather I use FMJ to penetrate heavy clothes.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I was able to pocket carry a CW9 in Dickies work shorts, wich is what I workedi nat the time.

NOW what I work in (Cintas uniform service,...boo!) no way in heck.

I have the Taurus PT709 Slim and have about 1000 rounds through it now without any problems. I am very happy with it. God Bless :)

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    It depends on how soon you need it. If you can wait until the end of the summer, then go ahead and get the Taurus and send it back for repair on the the broken extractor. That way, it'll be back in your hands by September.

Kidding, but not that much.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    If you can't afford the PM9 yet, I'd just stick with your G26 and go IWB. Out of your choices, IMO, the PM9 and Rohrbaugh are the only ones I'd consider for my pocket. I carry a PM9 myself as my EDC usually in a FIST K5. While it won't be the most comfortable, you can pull off the G26 in your pockets if you're wearing some sort of cargo pants/shorts. I do it with a G33 (same size) every once in a while with a Desantis Nemesis.

Since you carry a pistol to protect your life, why worry about the expense?

I have carried for over 40 years and the Kahr PM9 is pretty hard to beat. I am absolutely deadly with it all the way out to 25 yards.
    If there is any relaibility problem, (and I have had zero in almost 2500 rounds)Kahr's customer service is great.
    Bud

When the cute TV reporter asked the Texas Ranger why he shot the bank robber six times with his.45, he replied, ""Cause they don't make a .50"[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    IMHO, none of the options you listed are pocket-sized...unless you have some really big pockets.

I did pocket carry a PM9 for a few years, but got rid of it due to too many reliability issues. It can fit in most pockets, but is a bit heavy.

The R9 is the only true pocket 9mm available, but it is expensive...it does not take +P ammo...the mag release is on the heel and is not conducive to a fast reload...you need to replace the recoil spring often...and some owners report finicky ammo feeding.

I'm awaiting the Boberg XR9S with some interest.

For pocket carry, my experience is that weight is as important as size. I know you don't want to consider a .380 (neither did I at one time), but I have to say I am pleased with my LCP. I put my faith in shot placement and penetration - not so much in caliber. JHPs in .380 get about 10-13" penetration, while FMJ gets 16-17". The FBI minimum is 12" with 15 " desired. So, in warm weather I alternate FMJ with Hornady Critical Defense, while in winter weather I use FMJ to penetrate heavy clothes.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    I currently own or have owned a few of the guns on your list, Kahr PM9, KelTec PF9, and Rohrbaugh R9s and I will agree with the fact that the only gun you have listed that can truely be pocket carried would be the Rohrbaugh R9s.

While it is true that the heel magazine release isn't conducive for quick reloads I usually only carry it as a BUG and therefore don't carry reolads for it anyways. The owners manual suggests that the recoil sping be replaced every 200 rounds. However I had over 400+ flawess rounds through mine before I changed the recoil spring.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

CW9
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Price is a factor in the choosing. With all truthfullness, I would prefer a R9 but I don't see getting the funds together in time. One thing I forgot to mention is the time line. I want to have it purchased by July.

I now pocket carry a S&W 637. I don't know how that figures in for big pockets but it can't be seen when i have it on. I've tried my G26 for a pocket carry but its just too big for that. Its too big of a bulge in my pocket. Believe me when I say if I could, this question would have no been posted!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

If you want a small, light, thin 9mm that will reliably kill a BG in close quarters and don't feel the need to waste a ton of money, then I'd go with the KT PF9 hands down. If you want to spend a bunch of money on a gun that will serve the same purpose, then get the Kahr. If you want a true pocket gun then stay away from both b/c that are too big. I have no experience with your other options.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Pocket Pistol

I have a CW9. I sometimes carry it in my front left pocket using a Uncle Mike's #3. It sort of works in cargo shorts with a T shirt out. Most of the time I carry it in a pancake or IWB.

If I wanted a pocket pistol only it would be PM9.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links