Who here carries a Glock 30 or 36?

This is a discussion on Who here carries a Glock 30 or 36? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've traditionally been a "no Glocks" kind of guy. However, after my recent Taurus experience, I'm starting to reconsider. In keeping an open mind, that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here carries a Glock 30 or 36?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

I've traditionally been a "no Glocks" kind of guy. However, after my recent Taurus experience, I'm starting to reconsider. In keeping an open mind, that many people can't be wrong. I love the Springfield XD's (I have a 45 Compact), but it's a tad bulky for carry. They only make the subcompacts up to .40 caliber and I prefer a .45.

So those of you who carry a 30 or 36, what do you think? I'm not looking for a "pleasure at the range" gun, but I want an agreeable experience. Also, how much thicker is the width of the 30?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

kpw
    Neither is going to be substantially easier to carry than your XD but the G36 is both thinner and lighter than either the G30 or XD. The G30 is 1.27" wide and the G36 is 1.13". As for shooting them, the G30 is one of the softer shooting .45s out there. The 36 does have a bit more muzzle flip but it is in no way excessive.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I absolutly love my Glock 30 and would not trade it for anything. Have no problems concealing it IWB even in just shorts and a T-shirt. I carry mine everyday unless I need really deep concealment and then it's my M&P340CT in a pocket or supertuck.

My Glock 30 is one of my everyday carry pistols. It is surprisingly easy to conceal as long as you have a good holster.
    My Glock 30 shown here in an IWB Occidental Phoenix Stronghold holster
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    The G36 is probably what you are looking for. The G30 is good, but is about the same as what you already have. If you are OK with 6+1 then you should be set. Accuracy is excellent and as stated above, muzzle flip is present, but easily managed.

Just a side note. It IS a fun gun at the range.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I was always a 1911 kind of guy...I loved my Kimbers, and I still have two of them. I used to dislike Glocks very much, and I thought that they looks and felt like 'bricks'...until one day I picked up the Glock-36.
    The gun took me by surprise, and it has slowly become my EDC. It's a smooth shooter, easily concealed, dependable, and accurate.
    I took the Glock Armorer class to become more famaliar with the Glock tradition...I am a full time Glock fan now.

My Kimbers sit in the safe...
    Now I also have the Glock-26, it was supposed to be for my wife, but she won't wear a holster. The '26' is even easier to carry, but I like .45's.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

either/ or. both guns are good carry guns. i got both and after a while it is hard to tell the different between the two when carring and shooting them.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Love my Glock 30SF

+1 for the Glock 36 for all the positives others have listed here.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had both the G30 and G36. For some reason, I could never wear the G30 comfortably. I ended up selling the 30. Love the 36. This may give you an idea of the difference between the two:

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Size and weight of my G30 isn't a problem, but the 10 rds of .45 does add up. For that reason I don't carry extra ammo. I'm not looking to sit out an extended gun battle (and really, how much ammo would one need in that situation?); I'm gonna shoot and scoot!

G36 is lighter and thinner if you don't mind giving up a few rounds or opt to carry a spare mag. The fact is, any large caliber, high-cap weapon is going to be bigger and heavier, so it's a matter of what you feel you need to carry.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I had both the G30 and G36. For some reason, I could never wear the G30 comfortably. I ended up selling the 30. Love the 36. This may give you an idea of the difference between the two:

Wow. I'm surprised at how little size difference there is between them.

Also, can someone tell me the difference between the G30 and the G30SF? What is the "SF" for?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The G30 is much easier to carry in my experience. Using the same brand holster (just one made for each pistol) I find the G30 to be easier to conceal and it being 6 ounces lighter than the XD45 Compact helps to. As for width they're basically the same width. The base of the slide on the XD is the same as the Glock. The XD just looks thinner overall because the slide tapers.

I also find the trigger on the Glock to be much better than the XD. The Glock trigger has much shorter reset and over travel and feels crisp. The XD trigger has a long reset and over travel and feels mushy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised at how little size difference there is between them.

Also, can someone tell me the difference between the G30 and the G30SF? What is the "SF" for?
    Short frame.

the grip is reduced on the back strap side..so ur finger can get to the trigger easier. and i believe the trigger is moved closer .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links